Best WOE 2 years post sleeve with greatest success?

Shelleytate
Shelleytate Posts: 4 Member
What WOE has been the most successful for those of you who are years post VSG? I have regained almost all of the weight I lost making bad food choices. I started the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet yesterday...anyone try this one?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I am 3 1/2 years out and had some regain. I talked to my surgeon and he basically suggested I go back to the basics. I try to eat the same way I did the first year post surgery, and it's definitely helped. Basically high protein, low carb. That said, I feel like I will always be a work in progress. My tastes and tolerances for different foods continue to change. For me, it's important to be mindful of these things and make sure I tweak my diet as necessary, but going back to the basics is really it for me.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    What WOE has been the most successful for those of you who are years post VSG? I have regained almost all of the weight I lost making bad food choices. I started the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet yesterday...anyone try this one?

I lost 94 pounds on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet back around 1994-1995. I liked my carbs and discovered from the book & diet that I only needed to have one large meal a day (for me, typically at 2pm) that included my carbs to feel satisfied the rest of the day & night and just have something lite (i.e. an egg or something similar) at breakfast & dinner. That worked well for me until I hit my 40's & became diabetic & sometimes wonder if having that large carb-heavy meal once/day for so long helped pushed me towards becoming a diabetic (although I do have a strong family history of it). For post-op VSG individuals or diabetics, I would NOT recommend this diet--it's just too easy to get too many carbs all squeezed into 1 meal. I think a better option would be to try a ketogenic diet or other low-carb diet, or even just a moderate-carb diet with staying away from processed food and/or anything made with flour or added sugar or starchy vegetables like potatoes or rice. Things like noodles, bread, rice, cake, mashed potatoes & fast food has always seemed to be my weakness that kicks me off my diet whenever I start eating those things. I think there are some very active low-carb type groups here on MyFitnessPal that can also give some good advice & I've heard that VSG individuals do well on low-carb diets when they hit maintenance and are looking for something sustainable for the long term.

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    For me the key to keeping it off is muscle. Lots of muscle. THe more muscle you have, the more you can eat without gaining. Seriously impressive.

I got to 145 pounds after surgery and plateau'd for a long time. Then went through a depression time. I ate about 1400 calories a day (i am a simple person - 7x 200 calorie protein bars a day :) ). I gained a pound a week for 4 months straight. My BMR was in the toilet.

Then I joined a gym and worked with a trainer and started lifting weights heavy (deadlifts, etc... showed up every day and did what I was told mostly without complaining :) ). I hate cardio. I got down to 130 pounds (I am 5'5 ) within 6 months (from 165 pounds). My trainer INSISTED I eat more gradually over those 6 months. In the end, I was eating 2500 calories a day, had all the energy in the world. That lasted a few years - maintaining within 5 pounds, eating regularly 2200-3000 calories every day.

Last summer my family started a series of health crisis that have made for the worst year anyone can imagine. Literally no time to think, no time to exercise, no time to breathe. I spent the last year eating whenever and whatever - mostly from vending machines, gas stations and hospital cafeterias. I am just starting this week to work my way out of that. Back in the gym day #3 today. Food prep on sundays. Focus on protein etc. Luckily the last year did not do too much damage overall. I am up to 145 pounds, but still quite a bit of muscle (back at it now I hope!). I figured out I am probably eating around 2000 calories a day right now to maintain.

So starting the weight lifting again, cutting down to 1500 calories a day for the next few weeks, then as the weight comes off I will once again start ramping up the calories.

FOOD=CALORIES=ENERGY. Muscles need more energy. Your body becomes a machine.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    aylajane wrote: »
    For me the key to keeping it off is muscle. Lots of muscle. THe more muscle you have, the more you can eat without gaining. Seriously impressive.

I got to 145 pounds after surgery and plateau'd for a long time. Then went through a depression time. I ate about 1400 calories a day (i am a simple person - 7x 200 calorie protein bars a day :) ). I gained a pound a week for 4 months straight. My BMR was in the toilet.

Then I joined a gym and worked with a trainer and started lifting weights heavy (deadlifts, etc... showed up every day and did what I was told mostly without complaining :) ). I hate cardio. I got down to 130 pounds (I am 5'5 ) within 6 months (from 165 pounds). My trainer INSISTED I eat more gradually over those 6 months. In the end, I was eating 2500 calories a day, had all the energy in the world. That lasted a few years - maintaining within 5 pounds, eating regularly 2200-3000 calories every day.

Last summer my family started a series of health crisis that have made for the worst year anyone can imagine. Literally no time to think, no time to exercise, no time to breathe. I spent the last year eating whenever and whatever - mostly from vending machines, gas stations and hospital cafeterias. I am just starting this week to work my way out of that. Back in the gym day #3 today. Food prep on sundays. Focus on protein etc. Luckily the last year did not do too much damage overall. I am up to 145 pounds, but still quite a bit of muscle (back at it now I hope!). I figured out I am probably eating around 2000 calories a day right now to maintain.

So starting the weight lifting again, cutting down to 1500 calories a day for the next few weeks, then as the weight comes off I will once again start ramping up the calories.

FOOD=CALORIES=ENERGY. Muscles need more energy. Your body becomes a machine.

My surgeon says pretty much the same thing, the key for continued success is muscle. I just started working with a new trainer who is very much into lifting. My struggle is going to be increasing my calories once I get to a weight I want to maintain because I still have a lot of restriction and can't eat a lot at once.