Hi, anyone out there?

Options
mccraee
mccraee Posts: 199 Member
I am new here. I am 52 one year past diagnosis of stage 1b DCIS. I chose a lumpectomy and then radiation. I had a micro metastasis in one lymph so my radiation was a little more extensive than normal. I'm now on AI's

I am headed to a double knee replacement. The AI joint pain doesn't help with this. Losing weight would help so I've really buckled down on this. I have done weight watchers in the past but I'm on my own now. I'm trying to follow the anti inflammation diet that was recommended by the oncologist. It is tons of fruits & veggies. some fish, nuts, and beans. whole grains. Not much meat (which is kind of hard w/ my family but I'm figuring it out) and not much refined carp.

I have been very active in the past running marathons & trail ultras. I used to do crossfit but stopped when I developed trunk/arm lymphedema. I'm able to control the lymphedema and starting to lift some weight but I don't think going back to cross fit would be smart even though I loved it and miss it. I did buy myself an electric pedal assist bike this spring and I love riding that and it's good for my knees. I garden so spend my evenings/weekends messing around in the yard. It's all good but not really what I'm used to. oh well.

good thing is that my energy levels seem to of FINALLY returned. Mostly.

I've had a lot of excuses in the past year but now I'm doing what needs to be done. Anyone else what to support one another on this?

Replies

• mccraee
    Options
    oh, and I work about 50 hours a week and have a family with a great husband and two almost grown daughters.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Oh boy, do I ever understand the struggles of this! I am 57 and am 5 years out from bilateral mastectomies, surgery, chemo and radiation. I am on an AI for five years now and my Onc told me to stay on it for another five years. I was Stage IIIa (3 tumors and 7 positive lymph nodes..;they removed 23 total) and have the lymphedema in my right arm, which is my dominant arm. I keep the lymphedema pretty well controlled also, but I have to be really careful. I had my first flareup of lymphedema when I was stirring cookie dough to make Christmas cookies for the grandkids I remember just freaking out!

I have really been struggling even after five years. I cannot seem to get the belly bloat under control. Steroids with the chemo blew me up like a balloon! I had some heart damage from one of the chemo's they gave me so I am supposed to be eating healthy and exercising to try to maintain that. I actually have managed to reverse it and my heart is functioning normally again so YEA for that!

I am seeing the ortho doctor on Wednesday because I have meniscal tears in BOTH knees so that makes it hard to exercise.

Are you seeing the similarities??? LOL! I felt like I was almost reading my own story when I read your post. I don't want to say much because I know people probably are rolling their eyes thinking I'm just being a baby, but trust me...nobody wants to get healthy again more than I do! :smile:

I would LOVE to hear more about the anti-inflammatory diet your onco put you on! I've been thinking about going on the 17-day-diet which is lean protein, lots of veggies, probiotics and only two fruit servings a day and only the low-sugar fruits. But it is so limited and I have a hard time eating that way when my husband and granddaughter (who lives with us) don't. my granddaughter is 18 and eats a lot of crap and is as thin as a bean pole of course and my husband is a thin guy too.\

I work in IT and am salary and I put in anywhere between 45 and 50 hours per week also, and I am really struggling to get my energy back. That is awesome that you have yours back! I just never bounced back from chemo all the way. My memory is horrible and I think that may be in part from my age and chemo, but also probably from sugar giving me brain fog...

I'm so happy to meet you and I hope you have a great day! I look forward to sharing tips to take back our lives!

Tracie in WI
  • GinnyScott
    GinnyScott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dx Metastatic Breast Cancer to Lungs, Stage 4
    It's been a year since diagnosis. Today I logged in to MFP for the 360ty day. I've had chemo, lumpectomy, radiation, more chemo, etc. etc. - You guys are 20 years younger than me and working 40-50 hours a week!!! That is SO awesome!
    Before Cancer I had been retired for a few years. Completely sedentary, obese, tired all the time and ate anything I wanted (lots of soda and junk food). Cancer gave me the opportunity to change all that. I've lost 60+ pounds and am still overweight, but no longer obese. I exercise a minimum of 3 days a week on elliptical and walk when not at the gym.
    I take one day at a time and enjoy life as much as possible. Plant based diet the best - I'm continuously tweaking it to contain more and more good foods and less and less processed foods. I set goals of 45% Carbs, 30% Fats, and 25% Protein. Increased Fiber and put a 1500mg/day Sodium.
    FYI Chemo Brain or Chemo Fog is REAL but very similar to age-related senility. I have both probably.
    I would be happy to share my diary and experiences with anyone interested.
    For all my time on MFP, I still don't know how to add friends. I will try.
    Ginny in NC
  • mccraee
    Options
    I just re read my original post and I sound really whinny. I'm grateful that my cancer is seeminly gone. I know my treatment was much easier than many women endure.

The nurse (?) recommended Dr Weil's anti inflammatory diet. It is lots of vegges/fruits. whole grains, beans, good oils. No so much meat or sugar. Intuition says this is smart way to eat anyway. I'm trying to get my family to eat more vegetarian (without cheese!). And, I'm trying to make my lunches/breakfasts w/o meats. https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-diet/

Ginny, I believe I've got some brain fog, too. I attribute it to menopause. be gentle with yourself.

I worked out this morning on the elliptical and did some light weights (trying to balance bone loss from the AI's vs. lymphedema). So far so good on my knee pain & swelling. I also packed myself a good lunch w/ lots of greens & avocado & some greek yogurt. However, I did drive thru the mcdonalds and got a bacon egg & cheese biscuit this morning which is definitely NOT on my regime.
  • mccraee
    Options
    good: I rode my bike to work this morning. So, I will be riding home (30 minutes total!). It is sunny and beautiful and makes me feel like a kid for that 30 minutes. I packed a smart lunch w/ tons of greens & homemade hummus & an apple. My friend came over last night and I served us up some strawberries instead of wine!

not so good: I stopped at burger king on the way in this morning.

plan: Two things I really need to get a grip on are breakfast and snacking after dinner. tonight I'm going to do some pre-emptive breakfast fixing. one thing at a time, right?
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @mccraee Sounds like you are doing some really good healthy things! Building healthy habits takes time. I'm struggling with this myself. I fight sugar cravings on a daily basis. Sugar is one of the worst things you can eat when trying to prevent recurrence I've been told. One of the habits I am really fighting is our evening bowl of ice cream. My husband and I have a bowl around 8:30 every evening. That is about the time my medications kick in and I feel a little sick to my stomach. So, last night I heard him take the bowls out of the cupboard and I told him not to make me a bowl. Instead I ate 1/2 c. cottage cheese with 1/2 c fresh blueberries. Might still have carbs and natural sugars, but much healthier choice than ice cream. So, one thing at a time, one day at a time!

It's awesome that you can ride your bike to work. I love riding my bike...it really DOES make you feel like a kid again, doesn't it? I'm currently laid up after having a knee procedure done last week, so can't do much of anything except elevate and ice. But I can't wait to dust my bike off and go for a ride.

P.S. You did not sound whiny at all! Cancer is scary and it affects every single piece of us...physically, mentally and emotionally. It is always nice to find someone who understands...and nobody really understands like someone who has gone through it.

(HUGS) Have a great day!
  • mccraee
    Options
    ice cream is soooo hard. I have a cuisine art ice cream maker but I rarely make the real deal. I'm way more likely to grind up a bunch of fresh fruit, some sugar (not the best but it does need it) and a splash or yogurt or buttermilk (just a splash and not cream). It makes a great sherbert. Or at least that is what I call it and it's the bomb this time of year with fresh strawberries.

Evening eating is hard. I have to just not allow myself to go there. Literally, I don't let myself go into the kitchen. And, when I'm really wanting something I will try to talk myself into going to bed early and reading a book which I enjoy. I can't possibly be hungry if I just ate dinner, right. It works for me about 50% of the time but I'm getting better and looking for other treats that aren't food.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I need to find my Nutribullet and start doing this again. It's such a great way to get those healthy greens in too. In the morning, I used to mix unsweetened vanilla almond milk, berries of any kind, maybe 1/2 pear and some spinach leaves and make it into a smoothie with my Nutribullet. Such a good and healthy breakfast it was. Yummy. I'm going to have to dig it out of my basement tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

Evening eating is really hard for me. Especially right now. I am taking some pain meds for a knee surgery I had last week and I get nauseous from those pills. I take them in the evening because at the end of the day I'm pretty sore and can't sleep. I've been getting up and making myself a piece of whole wheat toast with 1 tbsp of peanut butter on it and it seems to hold me over, but wow are there ever a lot of calories and carbs in one tiny skinny piece of bread! I'm just happy I'm eating that instead of donuts. :s

Do any of you notice your memory being worse? Foggy brain? I have to write down every single thing. I have lists of lists! It's ridiculous and I find it really hard to do my job since my brain got so foggy.

Have a good night! :blush: