Charge 2 - GPS question

Options
runner_girl83
runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
I struggle to get a sub-30 5km most days... Usually run 5km in 31 mins or so. I used to have a Charge HR and used to record runs using the fitbit mobile app.

I've just purchased a Charge 2 and used the actual fitbit run option (from my wrist) to record a run and it says I ran 4km in 22 minutes. If this is correct, I would have run 5km in 28 minutes or so, had I continued to run.

Is GPS inaccurate when you use it through the fitbit, rather than the mobile app? It didn't feel like I had to run very far to hit 4km.. not as long as I usually do although the map on my fitbit mobile app from the run looks correct. I'm just not sure if it's off somehow or if the connection from the fitbit and my iphone is somehow not syncing correctly.. I haven't come close to running 4km in that time before!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The Charge 2 is basing distance on a calculation of your gender & height to get a stride length, and then attempting from your step impacts to decide what the distance really was, if you don't have it synced to the GPS of your phone. So actually same method as the Fitbit app you were using, if synced.

Unless you have manually entered a more accurate stride length for the non-GPS method.

So big assumption that the Charge 2 is accurate distance when based on steps.

GPS from device may or may not be better - depending on what method it's using and your location. (actually GPS satellites, cellular tower triangulation, combo, or spots of nothing)

To confirm you have the GPS from phone synced to device for logging (in app still) - look at the maps of the GPS route.

Do the lines actually show on the path taken?

Many times corners being cut, if enough, lead to inaccurate distance, tracks can be terrible, multi-out-and-back worse.

Might check old maps too, really impossible to assume one method is more correct than the other.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use the run function as well...and use MapmyFitness to tell me how far (not sync'd with fitbit) and both use GPS and neither matches...

I do know however that if you leave the stride alone it gets more accurate over time...

As for this run eh first time I wouldn't worry about it and just continue doing what you know is a 5k if that is what you are after.