Am I being silly?

Options
bookworm_847
bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
So, due to a lot of stressful things going on at home right now, I have been doing some emotional eating. Not some, a lot actually. Over the course of a few days, I polished off most of a bag of sour cream & onion chips, a box of the bbq Special K chips, a box of the sour cream & onion Special K chips, and some cheesecake. This is a lot compared to what I usually do now. I'm concerned about it a little bit because one of my major binges included eating an entire large pizza by myself in one sitting that I now know is over 4000 calories, and that one started off relatively small.

Due to my concern, I brought it up to my therapist and told him I've put on 3 pounds in the past couple of weeks (I'm actually shocked it's not more... I guess the exercise is helping), and he kind of laughed and said that 3 pounds is nothing to worry about. I know about water weight and normal fluctuations and such, but this was 3 pounds on top of what would be expected after water weight and normal fluctuations.

Am I silly for being so upset over 3 pounds? I've worked really hard to lose what I have, and I can see myself standing atop a downward spiral. I do not want to gain a whole bunch of weight again due to being stressed out. I can do other things, but chips are just so handy, don't involve much effort, and no one questions me about my motives when I want to eat some chips... I want to go for a walk, clean, or sit outside and read, and suddenly everyone is interested.

So that's my part rant, part request for opinions. I've got enough on my plate right now that if I don't need to worry about those 3 pounds, I can sure make an effort to go easy on myself in that department.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    No you are not silly! Concerned and that is good. Evidently your T does not have a weight problem or doesn't care. It is 3 and then 3 more and 3 more. We have to be cautious because we know what we are like.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Nope, not being silly. The gain impacted you. I don't agree w/your therapist.
  • ladypinktulip
    ladypinktulip Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No, any weight we gain is very upsetting. I have been living in stress for 2 years and I know what you are saying. Chips are my GO-TO. I cannot buy them or I eat them all with careless abandon. That "Crunch" is what I am seeking when stressed. I try to eat carrots or seeds/nuts instead now. Fiber One cereal takes a lot of chewing too. Find an alternative?:flowerforyou:
  • bookworm_847
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

And @lady, I think for me it's the crunch and the salt. But thanks for the idea, I'll have to see if I can find an alternative... perhaps some almonds or peanuts?
  • ladypinktulip
    ladypinktulip Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Almonds are very satisfying both for the chewing and fullness feeling. They are a super food too!
  • susanjean62
    susanjean62 Posts: 200
    Options
    Your therapist doesn't seem to get what it means to lose a bunch of weight,then emotional eat and gain weight. Maybe he was trying to get you to focus on the positive. I think when someone trivializes something we are feeling it doesn't validate how important it is to us.My daughter was visiting and I told her,I try not to keep sugary stuff around. Sometimes,I wake up in the middle of the night,if so,and binge on sugar. I googled it and it also has something to do with low blood sugar. I told her this,and she said it was a lack of control.grrrrr.... I made her a birthday cake and had a jar of frosting. Anyway,during the night,I got up and ate half a jar of icing and a ton of ice cream. the next day I felt awful and so disappointed in myself. She made light of it,but it pretty much ruined my day,so you have a right to your feelings,no matter what. Losing weight is difficult enough,especially when you are an emotional eater.When she left,I promptly threw all of those trigger foods in the garbage and it felt good! All I can say,is that you aren't alone with binging on food,which doesn't change the fact that it happened but just make an effort to get rid of trigger food and get out and try to get your stress out another way. Hang in there,sweetheart. We are all behind you:heart:
  • bookworm_847
    Options
    Thank you for the support, everyone! Susan, you're right about it being difficult when people make light of the things that are important to us. Maybe your daughter thought she was doing the right thing by not making too big of a deal over it. I think, though, that some people don't really get it. It's nice to know that there are others who understand!