Trying to foster a healthy relationship (introduction time)

Options
Hanxa13
Hanxa13 Posts: 3 Member
I posted this on the main forum, but it serves as an introduction and is a little of my story. I know it can seem strange to some folks and will try to answer questions if people have them. It isn't fun. It isn't healthy. I do NOT condone people who suggest ever trying it because it also detracts from a very real and kinda neglected condition.

~

Hi... So, I'm a little bit of a mess, really. Yes, I want to lose weight, but that isn't my motivator right now. I'm here because I want to get a healthy relationship with food.

At the moment, I can't normally complete days on MFP. I'm not doing too well with depression and anxiety brought on through PTSD and don't always make 500 calories a day, let alone something reasonable. It's not over body image... I almost wish it was as it would be easier, I think, to treat, but right now, the thought of food makes me sick and stressed.

What doesn't help is that I also have pica. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a compulsion to eat non-food items or food items in an unnatural way. For me, it is paper, ice, soil and rust (though I will also go for plastic or metal or graphite... It's quite extensive). Especially paper as it is always at hand. I've had this to varying degrees since I was 8 and it is not related to any deficiencies. It's not a priority to treat right now, but it doesn't help when it comes to real food so I'm trying to tackle it to some degree.

So MFP for me is about trying to eat more but also trying to keep it healthy. Even if it has been an unhealthy day, the reward of being able to complete my diary is so satisfying. It may seem like it means nothing, but to me it means I have accomplished something I have been struggling with.

Here's hoping I can make some progress. A food diary is a positive reinforcement when I'm making progress and a reminder to try for something, anything, when I'm struggling.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I wnder if there are some foods that are like the things you eat with pica, could that help. Like the wraps made of rice that are thin like paper. A lot of fruit tastes like plastic these days, tomatoes and apples for instance. I found that chickory powder used to make an instant drink is quite bitter, so is raw cacao powder, those can be mixed with orange juice, or yogurt.

For getting your calories up there is nothing so great as nuts. Unsweetened almond, walnut butters or seeds ground, like sunflower seeds might be good too. Really, best wishes!