Check-in: How's Food Logging Going?

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Hi Everyone,

For those of you participating in this week's challenge, how is food logging going for you? Please share any successes, frustrations, and insights, as we can all learn from each other!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    I'm glad I'm back logging. I can see where I need to tweak a few things and also what nutrients i get enough of. Also, I was happy to see that my dinner out last night fit very nicely with my food diary. The sodium, not so much.

I really like the accountability to myself that logging gives me.
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great so far!!! What's more is my motivation is back. Having scale issues kinda put me down in the dumps since it was like all my progress came to a halt. I'm trying to think beyond that this week, plus revert myself back away from old habits of throwing in the towel and stress eating when I'm stressed. It was much easier than I expected yesterday....just hope it lasts. The scale is still acting wonky, but I'm taking the measurement closest to my last weight until I get a new one.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,023 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I am logging and closing my diary each day. I find that closing my diary gives the incentive to not each wildly. I like to leave a little leeway in my diary when I close my diary so that if I need a snack in the middle of the night I know I've got a 100 calories to play with. I switched up my macros a few weeks ago, and now I find I'm able to hit those goals as well.
  • JudyHopps2
    JudyHopps2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all - I like the accountability, the feeling of success when I do meet my goals especially at the end of the day and I see that I managed somehow to end up close or below goal. Looking at the reporting and averaging my calories for the week, I see I am pretty close to my desired goal.

Shockingly, over the last 4 months I've tracked every single thing (unless I forgot that I ate something) including DQ runs and office candy, piece by piece. I have no idea why it has come so easy this time (after a dozen tries or more).

One tip is I've learned not to be afraid to estimate when I'm not sure what to track. Estimating and guessing is stressful for me. Yes, I am a stickler and that's part of my overeating issues. Don't know exactly what is in that sweet and sour pork? just look at the list and use your best guess. Then move on to what you do know.

Now I have added an additional tracking component. I am also tracking recommended (heart.org) servings of fruits (3), veggies (3), whole grains (6), lean meats (2), low fat dairy (2), healthy fats (2), nuts (3-4 /week) and sweets (zero) I eat each day. This has raised a new learning curve for me. Where I previously was just concerned with calories, now I am looking at how to get in all these recommended servings into 1600 calories. I'm just getting started with this so not that successful yet.

I do love a challenge :smiley:
    Debbie V.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    So far, so good! I actually like tracking. I find it gives me stability and a good framework for my day. Otherwise, I guess my eyes are always bigger than my stomach/brain, and if I just eat what I find "natural", I definitely eat more than I need. And I like having a plan, so pre-logging just feeds into that really well. Sometimes it requires reorganisation, like for tomorrow, where most of my pre-logging went out the window because I got an invitation to go out to lunch with friends. But I had time to reorganise the other meals and estimate lunch. I'll adjust once we actually settle on where we're going and I actually pick my meal. Prior to logging, I would probably have eaten just like normal at the other meals, then had that larger meal, and just kept going. Tracking helps me stay accountable, and I like that.
  • themedalist
    Options
    debvee60 wrote: »
    I agree with you all - I like the accountability, the feeling of success when I do meet my goals especially at the end of the day and I see that I managed somehow to end up close or below goal. Looking at the reporting and averaging my calories for the week, I see I am pretty close to my desired goal.

Shockingly, over the last 4 months I've tracked every single thing (unless I forgot that I ate something) including DQ runs and office candy, piece by piece. I have no idea why it has come so easy this time (after a dozen tries or more).

One tip is I've learned not to be afraid to estimate when I'm not sure what to track. Estimating and guessing is stressful for me. Yes, I am a stickler and that's part of my overeating issues. Don't know exactly what is in that sweet and sour pork? just look at the list and use your best guess. Then move on to what you do know.

Now I have added an additional tracking component. I am also tracking recommended (heart.org) servings of fruits (3), veggies (3), whole grains (6), lean meats (2), low fat dairy (2), healthy fats (2), nuts (3-4 /week) and sweets (zero) I eat each day. This has raised a new learning curve for me. Where I previously was just concerned with calories, now I am looking at how to get in all these recommended servings into 1600 calories. I'm just getting started with this so not that successful yet.

I do love a challenge :smiley:
    Debbie V.

@debvee60 Such a good point about estimating when we're not sure what to track. I think we should go for the highest degree of accuracy possible, but it's impossible to have calorie counts for everything. Chances are by smart guesstimating we are probably in the ballbark anyway. Time to move on.

And nice job tracking foods and nutrients beyond calories!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I really enjoy reading your updates. So many good reasons to track our food intake.

Please keep the updates coming. Let's learn from each other.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I've been logging off and on for several years but had taken a break until this challenge came up. I have been under my calorie goal but my fat intake is over the top today (obviously lots of bad choices here)! I need to focus on getting my macros more in line with my goals. I like the idea the debver60 wrote about charting servings of food groups, too. I think it would help me make better choices. But then, I'm kind of a chart nerd!!!
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you.

I started the week ok, but then I got issues with the "how much will I log"-question (I cleaned out the yoghurt of the children which was not even counting in full spoons but many yoghurts should probably add up eventually too) and in the end didn't log. I know I shouldn't be eating my children's leftovers and I stopped eating their bread crusts already, it just seems such a waste of food to throw it away. (I now only eat leftovers of warm food which is usually easy to estimate and in the morning my breakfast is their yoghurt leftovers lately).
    Also, I had some busy days that made me avoid the internet for private use completely.
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My goal was to log my calories right after I eat - I have only missed 1 day on that, so I am getting better.
    I usually weigh most of my food, but usually eyeball things like peanut butter or jam. But for this week I actually weighed my portions. I was right on with the peanut butter (by Tbsp), but was surprised that for the tsp of jam, I was over-guestimating a lot. It's good to check some times the things we just assume - they all add up.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Silinde wrote: »
    Congratulations to all of you.

I started the week ok, but then I got issues with the "how much will I log"-question (I cleaned out the yoghurt of the children which was not even counting in full spoons but many yoghurts should probably add up eventually too) and in the end didn't log. I know I shouldn't be eating my children's leftovers and I stopped eating their bread crusts already, it just seems such a waste of food to throw it away. (I now only eat leftovers of warm food which is usually easy to estimate and in the morning my breakfast is their yoghurt leftovers lately).
    Also, I had some busy days that made me avoid the internet for private use completely.

@Silinde, your post suggests something I've believed for awhile now. Even when we don't log everything we eat as accurately as possible, thinking about logging and feeling we should log, can lead to a greater awareness of what we are eating and more mindful eating than if we didn't have food logging on the brain.

But I also think it may be short lived. To achieve our weight loss goals, it's probably best to track our food intake.

• themedalist
    Options
    My goal was to log my calories right after I eat - I have only missed 1 day on that, so I am getting better.
    I usually weigh most of my food, but usually eyeball things like peanut butter or jam. But for this week I actually weighed my portions. I was right on with the peanut butter (by Tbsp), but was surprised that for the tsp of jam, I was over-guestimating a lot. It's good to check some times the things we just assume - they all add up.

A food scale is a great reality check. I don't weigh and measure everything on my food scale. But I do use it especially for calorie dense foods as a check on "portion creep". If I were trying to lose weight I'd use my food scale a lot more, but maintenance has more latitude.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I'm really enjoying your updates and I know many others are benefiting as well. Please keep them coming!
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I am tracking, however I am not staying within my goals. Been cooped inside all week, with rain. I did get in a little walking that has helped but if I want to lose another 10 lbs, which I must I have to get back on track and stop this snacking. I am getting better but not quite there yet. Today I will try again. I think next week I will continue this challenge but I will pre-plan what I will eat and when.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Well, today I'm heading out for a car trip today, so that is going to make logging tricky. So far so good, but I ate breakfast at home and packed my lunch. Tomorrow things will be more difficult. I picked up some fruit and veggies at a grocery store to help.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I had a special lunch today at Olive Garden with my daughter. The lunch portion was very reasonable calorie-wise and I limited the breadsticks (but loved every bite) and had the salad with very little dressing. And then dessert....At 750 calories a slice I was glad we split it.

Loved the meal and the company. But I'm glad I don't eat like that everyday. It was a nice special treat.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Better day yesterday! Moving forward today. Unfortunately its raining ..again thunderstorms predicted all day. Yesterday we got lucky no rain until late evening so I did get a walk in.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Grrr ! Restaurant breakfast at our hotel - free but not worth the price. :(
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,356 Member
    Options
    Have been so busy at work and putting in long hours, so I didn't log completely Thursday or Friday but back on track today. I normally do log every day. I've started using my scale and measuring now instead of estimating. What an eye opener when I saw how much 1 Tbsp of creamer really is! I've been logging 1 Tbsp when I should've been logging probably 2 or 3!!! Very eye opening!

Love all the tips and insight! Thanks!
  • JudyHopps2
    JudyHopps2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What an eye opener when I saw how much 1 Tbsp of creamer really is! I've been logging 1 Tbsp when I should've been logging probably 2 or 3!!!

What I do every morning - I take a glass measuring cup and pour out an amount of milk, usually 4 oz, and track that amount. Then I pour as needed for my coffee and drink any that is left over. No tablespoons are harmed :)