You may be more fertile than you think as you get older.

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Surprising but good news: I'm 6 weeks pregnant, and I'm 40. It's a happy surprise for my husband and me, but was completely unplanned and we were not trying. Upon investigating this strange miracle, I uncovered some interesting info: some new studies suggest that PCOS women are actually more fertile than their peers as they age. They have a larger egg supply and are more hormonally active. So don't give up hope if you've struggled to conceive in your 20s, and don't throw away your condoms in your late 30s/early 40s. You may need them! The following thread shows 2 studies:

http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php/273704-GOOD-NEWS!!-As-Women-w-PCOS-get-Older-Chance-of-Pregnancy-May-Get-HIGHER!!

Replies

• littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    !!!!! Congratulations, Stacicali!!! Amazing and so happy for you.

Your post is such a nice coincidence for me because I was literally just anxiety googling later-in-life pregnancy statistics and info because it is still something I want to do also, just not right this minute (I'm 36).

Can I ask if you changed anything in your life (like exercise or diet) that may have kicked your body into a more welcoming state?

CONGRATULATIONS again! Hope now that the shock has subsided you feel peace. Keep us updated please and thank you so much for sharing!
  • stacicali
    Options
    Thanks so much for your kindness! About a year and a half ago, I knocked my BMI down from 25 to 22.5/23 by exercising 5 days a week for 30-60 min and limiting carbs to 100 or less per day. I do relax on the weekends and go over on the carbs. I've read that carb cycling may keep us carb sensitive, but I haven't investigated that thoroughly. Also, I should add that I am on 1000 mg of metformin twice a day for PCOS (though I am not diabetic) as I have been for the past 20 years including my first pregnancy 6 years ago. I do think that metformin has a lot to do with my fertility. My dr also tested my T3 even though my TSH was normal and found that T3 was below normal. We had just gotten all my thyroid numbers in the middle of the normal range instead of low normal a few months before I conceived. I wish you good luck with your baby journey when you decide the time is right. It's a wild ride!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    So happy for you. :) How are things going with the pregnancy?
  • stacicali
    Options
    Thanks, macchiatto. Very well so far. We heard and saw a strong heartbeat today on ultrasound. :)