What Fitbit should I get?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I actually purchased a 2nd one this weekend.

I have a Zip I won at work...but I purchased a CHarge 2 for the completeness of it...however I spend lots of time in the water in the summer so the Flex was on sale this weekend for 80$ and I bought one.... :#
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Flex 2. It arrives on Wednesday - can't wait!!!

Here's why that one. I used to have a Charge HR. LOVED it!!! But, I'm an Apple girl, and after talking to several friends who have the Apple Watch, I switched, and gave my Charge HR to a friend.

Now, several months later... I'm falling out of love with Apple Watch because of how motion sensing/activity tracking happens - or NOT. Seems the motion sensing happens through the iPhone, which I don't always wear. So, imo, that defeats the purpose of a wearable fitness tracker. That means that the Apple Watch is not actually a fitness tracker. But, I still like it - for other reasons.

So. Back to picking which Fitbit, which I'll be using at the same time as my Apple Watch. A little confusing/complex, but it's doable.

I picked the Flex 2 because I can wear it on my wrist, or carry it in my pocket, or wear it on my bra! My employer disallows "personal electronic devices" (including fitness trackers) because of potential distraction, and that means it's against the rules to wear one at work. So I need one that I can't be *seen* wearing. If I have it on my bra, no way in hell is anyone going to know about it, and I'm also not going to be distracted by checking it all the time. So, I'm not following the letter of the "No PED" rule, but I'm following the spirit of it.

I was going to go for a Fitbit One, then switched it up to a Flex 2, for a couple of reasons. First, the Flex 2 has smart activity sensing. If I'm doing almost any type of exercise, it'll detect it and track it. Then second, it's actually cheaper!!! (On Amazon). That shocked me, because it's newer/better, but ... okay. $60 on Amazon instead of $100 on the Fitbit website.

I decided I didn't need a Fitbit that would track my heart rate, because Apple Watch already does that. If I'm going for a run, I'll use Apple Watch, and probably leave the Fitbit behind. I'll be using the Fitbit to fill in the gap - it'll track all my other activity. Or, I may end up deciding that it logs calories on runs just fine, and I may end up not worrying about what Apple Watch has to say about heart rate. Basically, I'll use both, and figure out how to combine them.

Last item in my decision tree... Fitbit doesn't support the Apple Health kit. Bummer! But hey, there's an app for that. There's a $6 app that will sync all Fitbit data into the Apple Health kit. So, that's a good work-around. My only concern there will be double-dipping on activities - if both my iPhone and fitbit are counting steps, etc. Again, I think it'll be a learning curve of what to enable/disable to get accurate tracking.

Well, that's a whole essay. Oh well. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to having a Fitbit again.
  • Locolady98
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I actually purchased a 2nd one this weekend.

I have a Zip I won at work...but I purchased a CHarge 2 for the completeness of it...however I spend lots of time in the water in the summer so the Flex was on sale this weekend for 80$ and I bought one.... :#

The Flex 2 is on Amazon for $60. As info, in case you want to return/re-buy for cheaper.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Locolady98 When i had the fitbit zip i was forever gawking down my top to check my numbers lol But even if you're seen doing that at work, your coworkers will probably just think your rearranging your boobs, not checking a tracker :wink:
  • Locolady98
    Options
    @Locolady98 When i had the fitbit zip i was forever gawking down my top to check my numbers lol But even if you're seen doing that at work, your coworkers will probably just think your rearranging your boobs, not checking a tracker :wink:

Hahaha!!!! Nice!!! As info - I work with almost all men. :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Locolady98 wrote: »

Hahaha!!!! Nice!!! As info - I work with almost all men. :D

:laugh: The awkwardness of that should stop you checking it in public :tongue: