Introductions

Options
kgerm317
kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
Hi! Thanks for joining me. I look forward to meeting new people right here in my beautiful home state! I started this group because I think that if we can share with others that are local to us, it will help us all reach our goals. I love the idea of hearing about some of the awesome workouts people do during all the different seasons. In the winter, I thought that summer would bring easier weight loss because I'd be outside more. But I didn't take into consideration the additional BBQs, more alcohol consumed, etc. It would be great to have a group of people that are facing the same challenges...

My name is Kristen. I am 30 years old and a single mom to twin boys. I grew up in Waterboro, moved to Florida for 7 years and returned home a little over 3 years ago. Since moving back, I have learned SO much about myself. Over the past 8 months, I have taken control of my health and found that I really am HAPPIER when I am HEALTHY!!

My starting weight when I joined MFP in January of 2012 was 233.3. I completed a "Get Fit Challenge" with friends and lost 18 pounds just in time to visit my parents in Florida for my 29th birthday. After vacation, however, I gained 11 pounds back. In November, my parents came to visit for my boys' 6th birthday and that was when something clicked for me. The day after my boys turned 6, I woke up with purpose.

My weight on November 14, 2012 was 225.6. Since then, I've lost 41 pounds and I am only 15 pounds from my goal weight. It's amazing how much better I feel when I am healthy and strong!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Nice idea!

I'm Renee, aka Minnie - a nickname given to me by an acquaintance who was very supportive of my weight loss and fitness goals (as in, I'm a miniature version of my former self). Don't be too shocked but I'm technically not a "real" Mainer as I was born out of state but I do fall into the loophole ruling because all of my grandparents are buried here...in "The County" no less. :) And I have lived here since I was about 2 years old.

When I finally truly committed to losing the weight back in January 2010, I'd been overweight/obese for all of my adult life. The pounds started packing on my senior year of high school due to emotional eating and those bad habits stuck with me for many years. Of course I tried losing the weight but it always involved deprivation and/or working out like a fiend so of course that never stuck.

Thankfully I figured out that I didn't have to kill myself to lose weight, I really could still do it just by cutting back a bit and making healthier choices and finding activities I really enjoyed. It's a slow loss but I've stuck to this plan MUCH longer than anything else so I'm really happy. And I'm much healthier than I've ever been. IMHO, that's what really counts!
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello mainers:) my name is Jessy. I live in steep falls but am originally from Frenchville. I love living in Maine and
    I truly enjoy each season. Since I decided to stop ignoring the fact that I am fat I have learned how to take advantage of nature and use it as a free and fun workout. I started my journey in May of 2012. This was right before my daughter turned two. I want to be a healthy and energetic mother. I want her to grow up watching her mom eat right and be active with the hope that it will be second nature to her. We enjoy walking, hiking, fishing and camping. Last winter I went snowshoeing for the first time and loved it. My pit bull zella and I went on many adventures through the snow and we will do it again this winter. So far this year I have climbed four local mountains. That is my favorite thing to do. I have also done two 5ks and have two more planned.
    Please friend request me if u want I would love to talk to other healthy mainers. Maybe you could teach me about other ways to enjoy this great state.
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just stumbled across the group...hope it's ok that I joined! I've lived in Maine all my life with the exception of two years in RI when I was in college. I couldn't wait to get as far away as I could after high school, and then I couldn't get back here fast enough! I grew up in Waterville and now live in the Belgrade Lakes area, and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

I lost 40 lbs. 6 years ago, gained a few back--which I was ok with--and then just got old and flabby. :tongue: Now I want to get in better shape and hopefully gain more energy. My husband and I are building a disc golf course on our property, so once I leave my paying day job, I go home & spend evenings and weekends clearing trails, hauling brush, moving large rocks, etc. It's very physical and I probably should have started working out regularly much sooner, but I'm doing it now and that's what counts, right?

Looking forward to talking with all of you!
  • mrsrock582
    mrsrock582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Denise from No Waterboro. I grew up in Massachusetts, but Maine was my second home ... spent all of my childhood summers on Long Lake, in Bridgton where my mom still lives. Came to Maine after marrying and living in Corpus Christi, Texas for 7 years first. I've been here 23 years.

Thanks Kristen for this invitation!
    It looks like I'm the old lady of the group so far. I have 2 kids, my son (28) and one of Kristen's closest friends .... and my daughter (24 today!).

My story: In March of 2012, through the persuassion of my daughter, I watched the documentary "Forks Over Knives". It was eye opening and life changing. The very next day I stopped eating red meat and started eating healthier, leaning toward a plant based diet. I was also turning 59 in a matter of days and wanted to be feeling much better by my 60th the next year.
    Over the years I have lost weight several times and gained it back again. My weight then was 179.9. I am now 139.0 at last check. I've been wavering between 138-142 right now. But I'm FINE with that. I was 132 before giving birth to my 2 (now adult) kids so I'll take it!! This past March 22nd, I turned 60 and I am healthier than I've been in several years. I was on Lipitor for high cholesterol for 7+ years and NOW no longer on it!! My doctor said "For a 60 yr old woman you are in damned good shape, so whatever you're doing, keep doing it." When I explained, she was totally for it.
    I am not TOTALLY plant based yet but trying. I still love chicken and fish and not sure if I can give those up. BUT otherwise I am doing all the rest. I avoid dairy, drink almond milk with my cereal or coffee, no red meat and don't miss it. I eat only whole grains, no fried food - EVAH, no high fructose corn syrup, definitely eat more fruit and veggies than I have in way too long, and more. As I ran out of items, I replaced them with healthier versions.
    AND I am FAITHFUL with my daily log in to my food diary (ask Kristen!), now over 400+ days in a row. I was always faithful with keeping track of my Weight Watchers points in the past (been several years) . So I was always good about tracking, with whatever I was trying at the time. The difference now is that the calories I am faithfully tracking now are MUCH healthier than the food I tracked in the past!
    ALL OF THIS is much easier than anything I've done before. If you have the opportunity, I suggest you watch that documentary. It changed my life for the better. Good Luck to all of you!
  • mrsrock582
    mrsrock582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MelissaH0910: The owners of the disc golf down here in Limerick are friends of mine. Great place and always busy! Good Luck!
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! We've worked towards this for a long time, and it's exciting to see how close we are to opening. We haven't made it to Woodland Valley yet, but we've heard great things about the course & the owners, so hopefully we'll get there someday soon.