July 18 Sign In

Options
2»

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    .... I have a big problem with glutes not firing when running/walking so my back takes the load and the tension is very painful allllll across my lower back. It doesn't help that I have a sit down job and my"area" is not posture friendly and causes issues as well. I sit in a higher chair but cannot roll underneath the counter I work at so after 7 1/2 years my back doesn't like that forward lean! I try and stand a lot. Anyhoooooo....I will stretch some more and. Hope I can go to strength training tomorrow!!!!

@conchita962. Another common issue with a "sitting" job is that the quads and hip flexors tighten. This can contribute to glutes not firing properly as you cannot make full stride without pulling on the back.

I found I had this problem a couple months ago, so added quad stretch to the daily routine and within weeks the problems with both walking and lunges went away entirely.

lunge-quad-stretch-ex.jpg

This is the stretch I do, but I put a bath towel under the back knee for cushioning (folded 12 times - 1/2 width ways, 1/2 length ways, then trifold (concertina style) length ways). I do not recommend doing this stretch without cushioning as it can be very hard on the back knee. It is also requires a bit of balance, so having a wall or door frame nearby is recommended.

To really stretch this, you feel as if you are trying to push your hip towards the floor.

The first few times you try it, it will feel VERY uncomfortable and very unbalanced. Be warned. It is a MUCH better stretch though than the normal runners quad stretch (less stress pulling the the knee joint apart and better extends the hip flexor).

You may even want to look into PNF stretching to try increase range of motion quicker but safely.

I have had back issues in the past (protruding disc). I used to need a solid back brace to do lifting work. Back issues can be very debilitating and need extra special care.
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    Today's report:
    Calories: under by 300+
    Tracking: ok
    Exercise: horseback riding for 35 minutes
  • srufus
    srufus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Pass 3
    Exercise : No
    Calories : Yes
    Tracking : Yes
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes x3
    Rest day so I took it easy. A little over an hour of walking.
  • Dosse1320
    Dosse1320 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    A really good day. 21,262 steps( 2 walks, spreading topsoil for an hour, and cleaning our backyard pool and deck for tomorrow's afternoon fun with our grandkids). Tracked and within calorie limit.
    I am making progress!! Back on track already and feeling good. Before I joined this group, once I was off track it took me days, weeks or even months to get back on program. I am very proud that it only took me a day to get going again. Thank-you my UAC teammates for your support and for being my accountability group. Can't wait for tomorrow.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    ... corn (well, corn is probably a high carb high glycemic index food), ...

@RangerRickL. & @120maggie. Depends how the corn is processed.

Corn on the cob has a GI of 48 (out of 100) and 14g of carbs per 60g.
    Cornflakes has a GI of 81 and 20g per 30g.
    Corn chips, plain, salted has a GI of 42 and 11g per 50g

If the processing strips the fibre (like cornflakes - milling, concentrating), then the GI goes up.
    If the processing mixes in other things that slows absorption (mashing, baking and adding salt), then the GI goes down.

Source: health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

If excess of carbohydrate is the "poison" creating the "type 2 diabetes" epidemic, then "fibre" is the antidote. As long as you take the antidote WITH the poison, all is good.

Taking the antidote without the poison (ie fibre without carbohydrate, or at different time to the carbohydrate) seems to have little benefit.

Carbohydrates and sugars are not bad. In fact they are great energy sources. However in excess AND stripped of fibre they cause problems.

Nature does not produce carbohydrates without fibre. This is why the recommendations of "whole" foods.

Turning a grain into flour strips the husk (fibre) and concentrates the sugars (carbohydrates). Great for storage and mass production, fine in moderation (with other whole foods and proteins), bad in that on it's own does not trigger satiety (easy to over-eat).

As a side note, powdered corn cobs are an environmentally-friendly rodent control mechanism. They absorb so much water that they can kill rodents through acute dehydration.

[soap box away now]

• Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    July 18th
    yes x 3
    Walked dog, ran around working. I tracked calories, was just under the wire. I have a hard time tracking on work days, but I'm still doing it. I plan to stick with it till the end of the month.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, since I'm finding it so onerous.
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,242 Member
    Options
    July 16

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 10k walk...
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

July 17

Taking pass 1...not a good day...food wise

July 18

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 10k again...mostly at an incline...gonna be sore tomorrow.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

The lake has been awesome. Had a heck if a storm yesterday. Today was beautiful again though. Tomorrow is a 15k bike into Bently...mostly uphill...should be interesting...lol

@pribud That is beautiful!
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    @Dosse1320 - WTG! You checked in extra and got right back on track. Hooray!

Ok, @slimpossible007 - mastering Katana will get you one step closer to your super secret spy identity.

@conchita962- I am strongly in favor of standing up for yourself and getting good ergonomics in your office environment. Everything adds up over time and you shouldn't have to deal with something that is ultimately causing you harm. I don't know if you work somewhere big enough to have an ergo department, but there are a lot of on-line resources about office ergo/ergonomics that you can check out. I am a fan of a stand-up desk. (hence the pun at the beginning about "standing up" for yourself).

@colwellcat and @lightningbolt9 - I am right there with you on already having used up pass days. We can still make it the rest of the month though, right??? Let's do this!

Yes x 3. Hiked the foothills with some out of town guests, then lifted weights this evening.
  • PaisleyFlower
    PaisleyFlower Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Pass day #3 struggled with exhaustion and overrate.
  • shonat11
    shonat11 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    3x YES for me .
    Lots of walking at beach and a brisk walk in the evening. Tracked and managed to stay under limit in spite of drinks with friends (thanks to all the walking)
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I posted for prior days, but just in case - it was a yes 3x for the 16th, 17th and 18th. I'm traveling for work this week and connectivity is its usual challenge. I've been walking loads to get exercise and loving it!
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes - P90X2 Chest, Shoulders, Triceps. Glad to get the workout in, as I had to get up extra early for a business meeting.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yep
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 This has been SUCH a problem for awhile now and it's making me weary!!
    I will most definitely do that stretch. The Dr's have given me ALLLL kinds of this and that stuff to do and at times it seems alright but now and again it knocks me out for about a week.
    I'm still moving tho!! Thank you for the info !!!

@phoebeyla I work at a pwn shop and the counter we have does not let you roll under it when working on the computer. So nothing to do there. I have to very consciously pay attention to my posture and stand as much as I can. It just an unfortunate issue I have to deal with. Thank you for your support!!
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    July 18

Pass #3
    Exercise? No. Calories? No. Tracked? No.
    It was an emotional/stressful day so my train went off the tracks and disappeared out of sight. :/

But everyday is a new day right? :)
  • 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 4,970 Member
    Options
    hawkins410 wrote: »
    July 18

Pass #3
    It was an emotional/stressful day so my train went off the tracks and disappeared out of sight. :/

I think Scarlett said "After all, tomorrow is another day" "Tara" !. And yes it is.---- I know you will back on track!
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    120maggie wrote: »
    hawkins410 wrote: »
    July 18

Pass #3

I think Scarlett said "After all, tomorrow is another day" "Tara" !. And yes it is.---- I know you will back on track!

Thank you @120maggie. Quotes from "Gone With The Wind" are my favorite! :*

• pribud
    pribud Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    July 18th

Today was a much better day...............YAY!

exercise.......yes
    calories yes under by 250 calories
    tracking yes
  • BexDun
    BexDun Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Exercise: rugby training
    Kcl: 1380/1460
    Tracked.