June 26 Weekly Challenge: Fruits and Veggies Extravaganza

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Eating
Challenge: Fruits and Veggies Extravaganza

Sometimes there's a pretty big gulf between what we know we should do and what we actually do. I know that fruits and vegetables should make up about half of my daily food intake. I know this. But most days, my fruits and veggies consumption falls short of the recommended 5 to 9 servings per day.

I'm not alone. According to the US Center for Disease Control, about 90% of Americans do not eat enough fruits and vegetables and are therefore missing out on these potent disease fighters. Residents in other countries may fare better than the US, I'm not sure.

If you're like me and eat some fruits and vegetables every day, it doesn't take much to boost that intake up to the recommended daily level. So that's our challenge and our goal this week...let's all make sure we are getting enough fruits and veggies to reap the many health benefits that these colorful jewels provide. Now is a great time to make this our priority. The summer harvest has arrived!

I've set an objective of eating 5 to 9 servings of fruits and veggies a day this week (I've dubbed them "freggies"). My main strategy for accomplishing this goal will be a big daily salad. I can easily eat 4-5 servings of freggies in just one salad. As you determine your goal for this week, please share it and your strategy for accomplishing your goal with our group. We can all support and learn from each other.

This Week's Challenge: Whether you grill them, roast them, dip them, grab them from the fruit bowl, peel and eat them on the go, or enjoy them some other way, let's all eat more fruits and veggies this week!

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the "updates" post this Wednesday. I can't wait to hear about your progress with this week's challenge. Also, please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

.....................................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

How Fruits and Vegetables are Linked to Disease Prevention:
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-and-fruits/

Ask Our Dietitian: How Many Fruits and Vegetables Should I Eat a Day?
http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-living/healthy-habits/how-many-fruits-vegetables-a-day

The Power of Pineapple (more to come from this series on the health benefits of specific fruits and veggies):
https://getwithitforlife.com/2017/06/25/the-power-of-pineapple/

Vegetable Haters: How to Start Eating Vegetables
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/vegetable-haters-how-to-start-eating-vegetables/

95 Ways to Eat More Veggies:
http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/ways-to-eat-more-veggies

.....................................................................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    Not surprisingly, there's a lot of images about fruits and vegetables. I looked for those that came from a reputable source and liked these two:

p9vo0fvgsgpl.gif

x69l31hqkri8.jpg
  • WILLALOUISE
    WILLALOUISE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LOVE this much needed challenge. I'm in !
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I usually get close most days but I'm much better with the fruit than the veggies. Aiming for at least 6 servings a day and keeping track. A little planning early in the day will be more successful than just hoping I have them in by dinner time.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I am ok with my fruit intake, it is my veggie intake that I need to look into. I am taking this challenge and nailing it! I can do this!
  • kdeclerq
    kdeclerq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group but love the challenges so far. I usually don't get enough fruits and veggies, so starting this week with lots of them! It's snacks that are a challenge - how often do we forget to include fruits/veggies as a snack and instead reach for unhealthy options? Challenge accepted :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Funny! Another challenge I'm participating in is also eating the rainbow this week, so I'm ready for this challenge.

I try (but often fail) to get 8-10 vegetable servings and 2-3 of fruit as recommended in the DASH diet. Generally, I have veggies and fruit at every meal, and then there are snacks. I like to take a bag of carrot sticks and celery for an afternoon snack, have a vegetable-laden quiche for breakfast, enjoy a Mason Jar salad for lunch, and salad or cooked veggies with dinner. The fruit is easy to get in because it is my treat, and at this time of year the farmers market is overflowing with all the colors of the rainbow.
  • debk0718
    debk0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just love these challenges. Thanks so much for hosting them. I do great with fruits, it's my veggies that need some work. lol
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I really like the fruit & veggie graphics you posted. Both the color coded graphic and the nutrient information one will become colorful visuals to help me add more variety of fruit and veggies to my day. Thank you
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been very poor at not only getting in enough fruits and veggies, but also in getting adequate protein levels. I recently started using protein powders, and just last week discovered smoothies - I'm slow to the game. So I've been having fun trying out different versions of smoothies and using more fruits and veggies in them. I will continue in this vein - but I need to get out to buy more. (I am amazed at how much a smoothie can up my nutrition, and I thought it would cost me an arm and a leg to buy all of the fruits and veggies I needed - but it doesn't.)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
  • WILLALOUISE
    WILLALOUISE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I'm loving this challenge. My Monday produce choices: shishito peppers, cucumber, tomato, curly Kale , corn, new potatoes , blueberries. Tuesday produce: blueberries, blackberries, yellow squash, green tomato, onion, shishito peppers, banana pepper, spinach, freshly dug new potato. I did a quick stir fry : squash, onion, green tomato, leftover blistered shishito peppers from yesterday.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Great job on the produce consumption, @WILLALOUISE! I will have to check out shishito peppers. That's a new one.

I am loving this challenge too! I had 9 freggies yesterday and 6 so far today (I haven't had dinner yet) Bananas, Portabella mushrooms, spinach, carrots, arugula, tomatoes, grapes, and strawberries. Tonight I steamed a bowl of cauliflower in the microwave, added a dab of butter, and then a little Cabot Cheddar Shake. Cabot's Cheddar Shake is white cheddar cheese in powdered form. It's absolutely delicious and now available from Amazon. The best $10 you will ever spend. Great on popcorn too but this isn't a snack food challenge.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This one is going to be tough for me because I wasn't raised eating anything except corn or peas so I really never grew to like veggies at all. so I struggle with this one. This will be a good challenge for myself. I plan to dig out the NutriBullet and have a kale or spinach and berry smoothie each morning and at least one salad for either lunch or dinner to get mine in. We'll see how it goes!