Star Wars Half Marathon

Options
ABabilonia
ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
Anyone doing the Star Wars Half Marathon either in January (California) or April (Florida)? I just enrolled to the one in April (The dark side half marathon). If you are doing the race please add me and let's motivate each other and share virtual tips. This will be my first half. I have a couple 5Ks in between and my first 10K in October, so I should have plenty of time to train. Right now I have problems with my back, but the doctor told me that I should start lightly again in 7 to 10 days.

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hadn't heard of Star Wars half marathons. Like the idea, but don't like the timing. I'll be doing a half in January in Rochester NY (technically, Gates NY) because Winter Warrior Half has become a tradition for me. That, and it's local for me so no travel costs. Maybe we'll even get snow for it next year; that would be fun.

I won't be doing any halfs in April, because I'll be focusing on Boston. Travel costs are rather high, given peak demand for hotels in Boston on Patriots' Day weekend, but worth it.

But that's quite a ways out. I have a bunch of races to get through before January, and hope to improve my wave/corral assignment for Boston 2018 at the Rochester Marathon in September.
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did WDW marathon this past year. It Wass fun, but man it starts early! Ironically, I have had something going on with my back for 2 weeks and still can't quite shake it.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Wendy98 wrote: »
    I did WDW marathon this past year. It Wass fun, but man it starts early! Ironically, I have had something going on with my back for 2 weeks and still can't quite shake it.

Yes, I think that this Star Wars Half also starts super early. I hope that you get better. I am also having back problems.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing the Anaheim one in January. It will be my second Half. I'm signed up for a local Half in October.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but Disney races are SO fun! I ran the marathon (my first) this past January and only Disney can make 26.2 miles that magical - LOL! All of their races start early (the first corral usually steps off at 5:30am), so they can get roads re-opened before parks open. April can be chilly, but odds are better for great weather.

Good luck with your back and getting into your training! I had a hip issue while training for my first half and rather than resting it, I kept training #notsmart Take the full 10 days and go from there.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    rrcoffey wrote: »
    I'm not, but Disney races are SO fun! I ran the marathon (my first) this past January and only Disney can make 26.2 miles that magical - LOL! All of their races start early (the first corral usually steps off at 5:30am), so they can get roads re-opened before parks open. April can be chilly, but odds are better for great weather.

Good luck with your back and getting into your training! I had a hip issue while training for my first half and rather than resting it, I kept training #notsmart Take the full 10 days and go from there.

Thanks. Amazing that you ran a full already. Yeah I heard that races start early, so most likely I'll go to bed early on Saturday before the race.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Looks like they've temporarily closed registration for it. Anyone know what's going on?
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    The light side which is in January in California is closed, maybe sold out. The one that is in Orlando in April still open.