Check-in: Lots of Squats!

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
For those of you participating in our squats challenge this week, how are you doing? Are you finding a couple of spots in your day to slide in a few sets of squats? How do you feel?

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    I'm glad we're doing squats this week. Although I have to modify them some to accommodate my hip arthritis, I can still do them. I'm doing a set every time I go to the kitchen sink to get a drink of water.

I'm going to do my best not to get out of the squats habit.
  • CorineSilva
    CorineSilva Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in let's squat!!!!! :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it tricky to incorporate the squats into my daily routine. When I do a workout, there is no problem, but I haven't yet found a habit I can connect the squats to so that I do them 3 times. Still, I'll keep trying.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This challenge is turning out to be a really tough one for me. This morning I was thinking that my legs were sore and I knew that my DVD exercise this morning was a harder one, but not that hard. Then I remembered that I was practicing the box squat per the video yesterday after reading Jen’s blog post:about how important squats are and watching the video multiple times trying to get it right.

Truthfully, squats are hardly ever in my vocabulary or on my mind unless my workout DVD has them incorporated in it for that day like the one I did on both Monday and Tuesday. So I had figured that covered the squats challenge for those days :tongue: as I hadn't got around to exploring the additional reading material yet.
    On Wednesday The DVD didn't incorporate squats so I decided that would be the perfect day to finally catch up on the reading material. I was really surprised at everything I was learning and was really happy to learn about the box squat, and to learn so much more about the proper way to actually do one. Evidently I had no clue :noway: .

So today I'm giving it a rest. I'm nowhere near trying to incorporate squats into my life three times a day. I'm planning now to work at least a set of however many box squats I can do after my DVD exercise or walk and start building from there.

Denise, I got to giggling when I read what you wrote last week about "cross pollination of challenges". So here is another one for today: I wrote in my Gratitude Journal during my prayer time this morning about how I am grateful for (1) the video and learning about box squats yesterday, and about (2) having finally started my next major decluttering project in what I call the "kids room" yesterday. This is the bedroom that the grandkids play and/or sleep in, or any of my out of town adult kids stay in when visiting here. Yesterday I read Jen's blog and watched the video standing up, and there is major moving going on during my declutter project days o:) .

Thanks to you and Jen for this challenge and teaching me a whole lot this week.

:flowerforyou:
  • Gemsrock
    Gemsrock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just joined today but was able to get my 3 sets in!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Gemsrock wrote: »
    Just joined today but was able to get my 3 sets in!

Welcome, @Gemsrock! We are glad to have you as part of our group!
  • CorineSilva
    Options
    Tried the box squats yesterday. I haven't exercise in a while. So today I felt sore! A good kind of sore, a happy I did it sore. In the morning I did 3 reps of 10 and same in the evening. From 0 to 60 squats in a day..... I'd say that was a good day
  • themedalist
    Options
    This challenge is turning out to be a really tough one for me. This morning I was thinking that my legs were sore and I knew that my DVD exercise this morning was a harder one, but not that hard. Then I remembered that I was practicing the box squat per the video yesterday after reading Jen’s blog post:about how important squats are and watching the video multiple times trying to get it right.

Truthfully, squats are hardly ever in my vocabulary or on my mind unless my workout DVD has them incorporated in it for that day like the one I did on both Monday and Tuesday. So I had figured that covered the squats challenge for those days :tongue: as I hadn't got around to exploring the additional reading material yet.
    On Wednesday The DVD didn't incorporate squats so I decided that would be the perfect day to finally catch up on the reading material. I was really surprised at everything I was learning and was really happy to learn about the box squat, and to learn so much more about the proper way to actually do one. Evidently I had no clue :noway: .

So today I'm giving it a rest. I'm nowhere near trying to incorporate squats into my life three times a day. I'm planning now to work at least a set of however many box squats I can do after my DVD exercise or walk and start building from there.

Denise, I got to giggling when I read what you wrote last week about "cross pollination of challenges". So here is another one for today: I wrote in my Gratitude Journal during my prayer time this morning about how I am grateful for (1) the video and learning about box squats yesterday, and about (2) having finally started my next major decluttering project in what I call the "kids room" yesterday. This is the bedroom that the grandkids play and/or sleep in, or any of my out of town adult kids stay in when visiting here. Yesterday I read Jen's blog and watched the video standing up, and there is major moving going on during my declutter project days o:) .

Thanks to you and Jen for this challenge and teaching me a whole lot this week.

:flowerforyou:

@texasgardnr, I always enjoy reading your thoughtful and insightful posts. I hear you on the squats. Squats are not at the top of my list either. But the more I learn about them (thanks Jen) the more I realize squats are a green veggie. Not fun, not exciting, but oh so powerful in keeping us healthy! Squats allow us to remain active and living independently. I'm going to keep doing squats (tying it to getting a drink of water at my kitchen sink helps) although I know I'll probably lapse sometimes. Habits are such squirrelly suckers.

Thanks for sharing your own cross pollination of the challenges. I love it! I am always delighted to hear how people are using the weekly challenges and how they've impacted their lives. I don't think we can have too much gratitude or too little clutter in our lives. We will be repeating these challenges at a later date.
  • CorineSilva
    Options
    Squats ✔✔
  • themedalist
    Options
    Squats ✔✔

Nicely done, @corineortega! Doesn't it feel good to check something off the to do list?
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll do my final check-in for this week: At this point I'm good for one set of 10 Box Squats each day during the week and on Saturday unless one of those days are a Yard and Garden work day or a rest day. When I feel it is time I shall start adding in a second partial set until it becomes two sets and so on. This is actually a major accomplishment for me at this time of my life B) .

:flowerforyou: Thanks Denise and Jen :flowerforyou:
  • Gemsrock
    Gemsrock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been able to work in three sets of 10 during the day. My muscles are getting less sore. I want to keep this up and gradually add in kettle bells.
    G