FODMAPS diet

Options
erin4609
erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
Have you guys ever tried the FODMAPS diet? Type it into google. FODMAPS is an acronym for different short chain carbs that don't absorb well in the small intestine. People with IBS shouldn't eat them. You can get lists of "low FODMAPS foods" (good) and "high FODMAPS foods" (bad) on the internet.

I've been on it and I don't have stomach problems anymore! It's amazing. Here is a link to info about FODMAPS:
http://ibs.about.com/od/ibsfood/a/The-FODMAP-Diet.htm

And a really good blog about it is the Kate Scarlata Blog (she's an RD who writes about FODMAPS)

Good luck!

Replies

• Kristineevans1
    Kristineevans1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tried for a day and found it way to restrictive( recovering from ed ) so I sacked it off and my friend tried it but she said it made her feel loads worse as it bunged her up massively! I have found a ridiculously high content probiotic course has helped me for a month and now feeling tons better. I think it all depends on what has caused the ibs ie food intollerances seem to be helped by fodmap or stopping gluten etc or if it started with upset tum or in my case lax abuse and purging / fasting I think my friendly bacteria got upset !
  • lexiek47
    lexiek47 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    wow, interesting reaction to it.

For me the low FODMAPS diet is extremely useful since I just found out about my IBS. I don'T follow it strictly but definitely include some of it in my diet because it limits my stomach pain :)
  • fcordingley
    fcordingley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My dietician put me on low FODMAPs a few months ago; I had to aim for 18 grams of fibre every day- it was tough. That is probably why it has bunged up your friend though.

I found it really confusing and had to create my own spread sheet of foods so that I knew what I could and couldn't have and in what amount. Since then I have gone back to an elimination diet which although more restrictive I find much simpler and easier to fit into my lifestyle- have been doing it for about 4 weeks now and I'm back on track, when i am on the really restrictive bit I don't have any symptoms at all.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    FODMAPS is a very useful tool to get well again. It's restrictive initially because it has to be- it's not forever, just a way to work out what you can tolerate.
    I'm feeling well again and I don't want to get the IBS symptoms anymore.
    I'm almost afraid to go off it and try other foods again!
  • fcordingley
    fcordingley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! just take it slowly and only introduce one new thing at a time, that way you can control it
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the Monash Uni app for a few pounds for info on the go as they designed fodmap .. but it contradicts other sources of fodmap lists on the web and today I am in pain!
  • evanaudreywyatt
    Options
    I have been on it for a few months and it has done wonders for me.