July 10 Weekly Challenge: Just Breathe

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Just Breathe

You always have with you a powerful tool that can quickly reduce your stress, lower your blood pressure, and re-energize you: your breath. It's easy to overlook breathing. After all, it's an automatic process and something each of us to do about 20,000 times a day. Because breathing is so easy to ignore, few of us tap into and use the power of breathing to make us healthier. This week, let's change that! Let's set aside a few minutes each day to focus on our breathing. Let's breathe slowly, deliberately, and deeply, and watch how it improves our lives.

I was introduced to deep breathing several years and was pretty skeptical of what it could do for me. I was wrong. It's a game changer. I now use deep breathing to reduce my stress, keep my blood pressure in check, transition from one work project to another, and as a relaxation technique before any dental checkup. I love that it's so portable! I may forget my keys, but I always have what I need to breathe. I think you'll be impressed with what deep breathing can do for you.

There are a lot of ways to practice deep breathing. The resources below highlight several techniques. There is no "right way" or "wrong way" to breathe deeply. I'd suggest trying out a few approaches to see what works best for you.

This Week's Challenge: Please watch the TED Talk (link below) and participate in the breathing exercise. Then review Dr Weil's recommended deep breathing techniques (link below in the resources section). Choose one of the deep breathing methods mentioned in the video or Dr Weil article. Use that method as your starting point to practice deep breathing.

Please set aside at least 5 minutes twice a day this week to practice breathing deeply. Look for opportunities when a few minutes of deep breaths could help you relax and reduce your stress. Or, if you need an afternoon pick-me-up, try an energizing breathing session instead of a cup of coffee. If you've got children at home for the summer, you need the stress break that deep breathing provides!

And if you're interested, try out a few different deep breathing techniques this week!

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the "updates" post this Wednesday. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress with this week's challenge. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Three Breathing Exercises And Techniques:
(Note that there are videos demonstrating each technique)
https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/stress-anxiety/breathing-three-exercises/

Breathe. Exhale. Repeat: The Benefits of Controlled Breathing
(This article also includes recommended breathing techniques)
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/well/mind/breathe-exhale-repeat-the-benefits-of-controlled-breathing.html

Relaxation Techniques: Breath Control Helps Quell Errant Stress Response
http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/relaxation-techniques-breath-control-helps-quell-errant-stress-response

Breathing And Your Brain: Five Reasons To Grab The Controls
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/05/14/breathing-and-your-brain-five-reasons-to-grab-the-controls/#6568256d2d95

.............................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    TEDx Talk:
    Breath -- five minutes can change your life | Stacey Schuerman
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcQpNr_KA4l
  • themedalist
    Options
    And a few infographics that I liked:

drcelthwgudx.jpg
    dk2sh4ikldzh.png
    1ivdvbzewtrr.png
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group, and I am definitely in on this challenge. Thank you for the great resources!
  • themedalist
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    I'm new to this group, and I am definitely in on this challenge. Thank you for the great resources!

Welcome to our group @brittdee88 and I'm glad you like this week's challenge!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,779 Member
    Options
    I'm working on a 30-day Yoga challenge, and breathing is important to that so I will be working on this challenge from a couple different angles. Just breathe. :)
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Great video and infographics that you are sharing with us this week! Thanks. I've read some of Dr Andrew Weil's books in the past so I'm looking forward to the videos of his breathing techniques. I was more interested in the nutritional aspects of his writings back when I read some of his books. As always thanks for posting interesting and informative resources each week. Being a visual learner I especially enjoy the infographics. And it is always hard to stop at just one TED talk ;)

:flowerforyou:
  • CorineSilva
    CorineSilva Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great information here and I'm definitely up for this challenge. I used to get occasional anxiety but recently learned a few breathing techinquest that have calmed me faster than any medication could do. Thanks for such a great challenge!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxieties and breathing techniques like these are lifesavers. Thanks!