Check-in: Just Breathe

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
For those of you participating in our deep breathing challenge this week, how is it going for you? Are you finding that a quick deep breathing session calms and relaxes you, or re-energizes you? I'm looking forward to hearing your updates!

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    Well, I tried the breathing on Monday, and after doing it just before bed, I slept much better than usual. Since I have lots of trouble sleeping, I was very happy and excited. Last night it didn't work so well, so perhaps my first result were merely being extra tired or the placebo effect. Whatever, I'll keep it up. It is getting a little easier to take those 5 minutes.
  • CorineSilva
    CorineSilva Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's been very relaxing and I find myself doing it as often as I can like.... waiting for my son to come out of his appointment. Before I start and end my day. It's brings me back to me
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    It's been very relaxing and I find myself doing it as often as I can like.... waiting for my son to come out of his appointment. Before I start and end my day. It's brings me back to me

"It brings me back to me". What a beautiful way to state the power of deep breathing, @corineortega!

• brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I started off strong on Monday and Tuesday and fell off! I was using my Fitbit's breathing exercise for 5 minutes and really liked that once I got used to it. I will pick it back up today.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Oh I get anxious when traveling and breathing mindfully helps calm me down a lot.

Hope you are doing better!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    @brittdee88 , I didn't know Fitbit has a breathing exercise! I must check it out. Used the breathing at the dentist today. It certainly didn't make my visit any worse. :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @brittdee88 , I didn't know Fitbit has a breathing exercise! I must check it out. Used the breathing at the dentist today. It certainly didn't make my visit any worse. :)

I have the Flex and I do not have that :/ Maybe is time for an upgrade. Sounds great.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    @77tes @prgirl39mfp I have the Charge 2, and I highly recommend it! I started out with the Flex, too, but this one has so many features that I absolutely love!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I caught myself holding my breath several times this week when I realized that I was becoming anxious about things. So I immediately did a few rounds of the 4-7-8 breathing with good results. I've also used it at bedtime for 3-4 nights. It helped me calm down and fall quickly asleep. I haven't remembered to purposely do a five minutes deep breathing twice a day as a routine not related to anxious feelings. I totally forgot about doing that until I just reread the initial post about this week's challenge to help me evaluate my week. This had been a harder week for me and I reacted by giving into sugar/chocolate binges. Breathing and keeping up with exercise would have helped me a lot. Oh, I forgot... I did do the five minutes breathing a second time using the video on Thursday by fast forwarding to where she starts the breathing exercise. I only thought to do that because I was finishing up reading some of the articles and I saw the lady on the Ted Talk video standing there. I followed her breathing cues on Monday when I watched the video the first time and I did like it. I need to figure out a natural tie in to something else to remember to purposely do a daily five minutes deep breathing.

Denise, I hope that your home PT on Friday went well, and that you are increasingly feeling better and stronger.

:flowerforyou:

• prgirl39mfp
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    @77tes @prgirl39mfp I have the Charge 2, and I highly recommend it! I started out with the Flex, too, but this one has so many features that I absolutely love!

Thanks for letting me know. I will definitely look into it. I am ready for an upgrade.