New and looking for some supportive friends

Options
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 (now 29) and am currently taking Metformin and Diane 35 to manage it (would love to eventually be able to stop taking the Metformin). A few years ago, I suffered an ovarian torsion which was thought to be because of a complication with the PCOS and resulted in me having to have emergency surgery to have the ovary removed.

Prior to the surgery, I had lost about 48 kilos (still had another 20 to lose) and maintained in for a number of years. Fast forward to after the surgery, I began to have a number of medical issues unrelated to PCOS (vitamin and nutrient deficiencies as well as stomach issues leading Drs to investigate coeliac disease) which has caused me to regain about 25 kilos and lose a lot of the confidence which I found when I lost the weight initially.

I would really love some buddies to help support me on this journey and understand the frustrations that PCOS can cause when trying to lose weight.

Replies

• carolinagirlsc1982
    carolinagirlsc1982 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My name is Virginia, I also have P.C.O. SIS. I was told that I had it when I was 18 I am now 35. The doctor told me I have more male hormones than female hormones. I have now developed a problem that I can not eat anything with tomatoes in it. If I do my stomach is not very happy with me. It is killing me not to eat anything like pizza, or just a plain salad with tomatoes in it. Feel free to add me and I would be more than happy to become your friend and help strive you along this journey.

Virginia
  • meetingacrosstheriver
    meetingacrosstheriver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My name is Virginia, I also have P.C.O. SIS. I was told that I had it when I was 18 I am now 35. The doctor told me I have more male hormones than female hormones. I have now developed a problem that I can not eat anything with tomatoes in it. If I do my stomach is not very happy with me. It is killing me not to eat anything like pizza, or just a plain salad with tomatoes in it. Feel free to add me and I would be more than happy to become your friend and help strive you along this journey.

Virginia

Added you!

In the same boat as you regarding male hormones. As a result I have hirsutism which has caused many issues for me in terms of self confidence etc.

Looking forward to getting to know you and supporting you on your journey as well!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Virginia

@carolinagirlsc1982

This sounds like a gallbladder/low stomach acid issue, which can be caused by PCOS or a comorbid condition. Look into trying digestive enzymes (I use NOW Brand Super Enzymes) with these meals, and any you feel like causes digestive upset or you don't feel you absorb all the nutrients from -- at this point for me, that is EVERY MEAL!). The not tolerating tomatoes for me was what started me discovering the gallbladder issues/gallstones which eventually lead me to having my gallbladder out in December of 2000, because I was too lazy to change my diet, and convinced I'd survive without it. EVERYTHING went downhill from there!!! Don't get your GB out unless it is diseased, necrotic, or medically required - that's my opinion. It is absolutely crucial to digestion, absorption, hormonal function, nutrient absorption, and many many other things... If you have to get it out for medical reasons, you can compensate, but it's never as good as the real thing functioning 100%.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 (now 29) and am currently taking Metformin and Diane 35 to manage it (would love to eventually be able to stop taking the Metformin). A few years ago, I suffered an ovarian torsion which was thought to be because of a complication with the PCOS and resulted in me having to have emergency surgery to have the ovary removed.

Prior to the surgery, I had lost about 48 kilos (still had another 20 to lose) and maintained in for a number of years. Fast forward to after the surgery, I began to have a number of medical issues unrelated to PCOS (vitamin and nutrient deficiencies as well as stomach issues leading Drs to investigate coeliac disease) which has caused me to regain about 25 kilos and lose a lot of the confidence which I found when I lost the weight initially.

I would really love some buddies to help support me on this journey and understand the frustrations that PCOS can cause when trying to lose weight.

@meetingacrosstheriver - This could easily be related to your nutrient deficiencies and stomach issues, too, as the hormone, endocrine, digestion, and glucose systems are all so tightly related. The lack of estrogen/progesterone being released from your ovary that was removed could have thrown everything else into a tizzy!! I'd definitely get a full hormonal workup done, as this sounds like it partially sent you into peri-menopause or something...since your second ovary might be impaired, or at least not able to keep up against the onslaught of hormonal chaos that is PCOS... The enzymes could possible help you, too. It doesn't hurt anything to try them...

Betaine HCL by itself is another option that might help if you don't need all the components in the other blend...

Sending hugs all around... Anyone is welcome to add me. Please just add a note of some sort indicating the PCOS group so that I know where the request is coming from!
  • meetingacrosstheriver
    meetingacrosstheriver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@meetingacrosstheriver - This could easily be related to your nutrient deficiencies and stomach issues, too, as the hormone, endocrine, digestion, and glucose systems are all so tightly related. The lack of estrogen/progesterone being released from your ovary that was removed could have thrown everything else into a tizzy!! I'd definitely get a full hormonal workup done, as this sounds like it partially sent you into peri-menopause or something...since your second ovary might be impaired, or at least not able to keep up against the onslaught of hormonal chaos that is PCOS... The enzymes could possible help you, too. It doesn't hurt anything to try them...

Betaine HCL by itself is another option that might help if you don't need all the components in the other blend...

Sending hugs all around... Anyone is welcome to add me. Please just add a note of some sort indicating the PCOS group so that I know where the request is coming from!

Hi @KnitOrMiss The removal of the ovary has completely thrown my hormones into a spin, however we got onto controlling that early on. I saw my OB/GYN today, and from her point of view (she is one of the leading Drs when in comes to fertility where I am and heads up our biggest IVF clinic), the other issues I'm having are unrelated to the PCOS (currently being investigated Chron's Disease, have also been tested for coeliac, am gene positive by biopsy came back negative). We did talk about the hormonal blood tests, however she mentioned that for that to happen, I would need to come off the pill (Diane), which at this stage, until further investigations are done, she isn't willing to do.

Thanks for your support though and all this information, I will definitely talk to my OB/GYN about it though, if we can't get answers from the gastroenterologist :smiley: