July 17 Weekly Challenge: 15 Minutes for Me

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Happiness Challenge
Challenge: 15 Minutes for Me

This week let's focus on looking at time differently. Let's use "micro-minutes" to relax, restore, and rejuvenate us. Or alternatively, let's use a little chunk of each day to lay the foundation for making progress on a goal or aspiration that you have. Something that you just haven't quite found the time to make some headway on. Setting aside a few minutes a day for deliberative practice can change your life. I know, because it happened to me.

Every day you get 1440 minutes neatly packaged into 24 hours. It seems like a lot of time to accomplish what you need and want to do, but as we all know, it isn't a lot of time at all. In fact, most of us wish we had more time. Let's consider how time, like money, can grow. If you spend just 15 minutes a day doing something that's important to you, you'll have spent about 1% of your day focused on that activity. But If you spend just 15 minutes a day every day focused on that activity, you'll have "found" 91 hours a year to focus on something that's important to you! 15 minutes a day grows into 91 hours a year if we nurture it and make it a priority in our lives.

Here's what I've done with 15 minutes a day.

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to play the guitar. Small problem-- I have cerebral palsy and I only have about 50% use of the fingers on my left hand. The small finger movements that are essential in playing the guitar are really hard for me to do. So my, "I wish I could play the guitar" was always met with, "I can't play the guitar because I can't use both my hands". Perfectly reasonable, but not moving me any closer to playing the guitar!

Through a lot of reading on habits and how the brain loves to take any repetitive sequence of events and turn it into a habit that will run on autopilot, I became convinced that I could teach myself to play the guitar despite my handicap IF I practiced over and over again. In October 2015, I decided to set aside 15 minutes a day everyday for a year to practice the guitar. Not occasionally, not when I felt like it or was motivated to practice, but everyday as a personal commitment to myself to pursue this lifelong dream and just see where it would take me. You can probably guess the outcome: I can now play the guitar! No, I can't play it as well as someone who has full use of both their hands, but I CAN PLAY THE GUITAR! I can't begin to tell you the indescribable joy this has brought to my life. And it all started with just 15 minutes a day.

You may have similar goals in your life or you may just wish for a little more "me time". You may want more time to pursue your hobbies or change your life in some other way (such as pursuing a new career or an earlier retirement) What's missing from your life? How can carving out 15 minutes a day everyday bring you closer to what you want out of life?

This Week's Challenge: Set aside 15 minutes a day everyday this week to pursue something that's important to you. Something that will make you happier. Something that fulfills you. I can't wait to hear how you spend your 15 minutes!

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the "updates" post this Wednesday. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress with this week's challenge. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

4 Extra Minutes a Day: Realizing the Power of Microminutes
https://www.wholelifechallenge.com/4-extra-minutes-a-day-realizing-the-power-of-microminutes/

The Power of a Few Minutes
http://carolinetotah.com/power-of-minutes/

The Power of a Minute: How to Get More Out of Every Minute In Your Day
http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leadership-supervisory-skills/power-minute-get-every-minute-day/

..................................................................................................

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Denise, I love the story of your learning to play guitar, and I have shared it with my students in several classes. There are many things that I would like to do but never get around to, so I'll have to think about what I should choose for this challenge. I'll think on it a bit.
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to increase my exercising, and so have looked at many YouTube videos. Many have versions of push-ups and planks etc - but my upper body has always been weak, and I have had many issues with tendonitis in both elbows and right shoulder, so I am very leery. However just this past Sat. I found a 10 minute routine that starts out with very simple versions of push-ups and planks and side-planks - and so co-incidentally, before I saw this challenge, I had decided to do this routine every AM until I get my strength up. So that is 10 minutes of my challenge. For the other 5 I will use it to complete a clothing sort I have been trying to get through - to weed out a wearable summer wardrobe - I need to try on some of these clothes, so I will spend 5 minutes a day doing that. I know that isn't a new habit but it's something I keep putting off, so in the end I should have only things I can wear now in my closet.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    This sound great. I love languages and was really into DuoLingo for awhile but once I missed a few days I got out of the habit. I am going on holiday to Turkey in September so this is a great opportunity to put aside some time to learn some basic Turkish. I hate being the ignorant foreigner.
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Denise, I love the story of your learning to play guitar, and I have shared it with my students in several classes. There are many things that I would like to do but never get around to, so I'll have to think about what I should choose for this challenge. I'll think on it a bit.

@77tes, I'm glad you like my guitar story and have shared it with your students. Before joining MFP, I really thought the only way to be successful with any goal was through BIG changes. Completely change my diet and spend several hours a day at the gym. Of course, that's completely unsustainable. When I finally adopted a different approach and instead made a whole slew of tiny changes to my diet and exercise habits... well that's when the pounds really started falling off. If it isn't sustainable, the change won't stick.

Understanding finally that it's small changes that lead to big results was a huge Aha! moment for me. And I realized I could apply the same concept to time. It's been a game changer for me!
  • kdeclerq
    kdeclerq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Denise your story is inspiring!!!
    I'm going to spend 15 minutes reading - for pleasure - before going to bed. I love reading fiction, but never seem to have time for it. I'm going to pick up a novel and enjoy the escape.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I've been trying to increase my exercising, and so have looked at many YouTube videos. Many have versions of push-ups and planks etc - but my upper body has always been weak, and I have had many issues with tendonitis in both elbows and right shoulder, so I am very leery. However just this past Sat. I found a 10 minute routine that starts out with very simple versions of push-ups and planks and side-planks - and so co-incidentally, before I saw this challenge, I had decided to do this routine every AM until I get my strength up. So that is 10 minutes of my challenge. For the other 5 I will use it to complete a clothing sort I have been trying to get through - to weed out a wearable summer wardrobe - I need to try on some of these clothes, so I will spend 5 minutes a day doing that. I know that isn't a new habit but it's something I keep putting off, so in the end I should have only things I can wear now in my closet.

@hollyhock1009, I'm glad you shared how you intend to spend your 15 minutes. I've been trying to figure out what I want to prioritize this week for my 15 minutes. The guitar habit is firmly entrenched. But one habit that's been more elusive is decluttering. I LOVED the week we spent decluttering and my daughter and I have continued the process but it's been hit or miss. So this week it's a mini Declutter Fest for me. Having less clutter makes me very happy!
  • themedalist
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    This sound great. I love languages and was really into DuoLingo for awhile but once I missed a few days I got out of the habit. I am going on holiday to Turkey in September so this is a great opportunity to put aside some time to learn some basic Turkish. I hate being the ignorant foreigner.

@jesspen91, what a great project to work on this week! I hope you have a fabulous time in Turkey!
  • themedalist
    Options
    kdeclerq wrote: »
    Denise your story is inspiring!!!
    I'm going to spend 15 minutes reading - for pleasure - before going to bed. I love reading fiction, but never seem to have time for it. I'm going to pick up a novel and enjoy the escape.

Reading is a terrific way to spend those 15 minutes a day!
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This is great. I just joined the group and I think it's just what I need. I have this motto: 1 day, 1 week, 1 pound- just to keep me going. This week I want to walk at least 15 min a day, outdoors. It's so relaxing to end a hectic day with a little fresh air and quiet. PK
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have so many things I want to do and plenty of time to do them now that I'm retired. However, some days get away from me and I haven't done any of them and I end up feeling frustrated with my inertia. I am going to spend 15 minutes a day writing something...anything. I've started journals for each of my grandkids, journals for myself, podcast notes and comments, and I've just started reading American history and am taking notes on that. But it's sporadic and sometimes weeks go by and I haven't written at all. I will commit to 15 minutes of writing every day this week. The fact that 15 min a day adds up to 90 hours a year is encouraging! Denise, I love how you're making this such an individualized group challenge.
  • MoonWillow1
    MoonWillow1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This challenge couldn't have come at a better time for me, I completed my Reiki level 2 yesterday evening and part of my "training" involves daily meditation and writing a little journal of things I noticed, if I choose music and why, which crystals I chose etc, perfect :)
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I know I'm a couple days late to the party but I'd like to spend 15-20 minutes a day meditating. I've been meaning to do this for a while but haven't made the time to do it. My life has become such a blur I want to take time each day to get my mental ducks in a row and just breathe.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Recently I have been decluttering the 'kid's room' and thoroughly cleaning, as well as reorganizing it, bit by bit. So everything has been topsy-turvy, but in a good productive way. Then in the middle of this project I find out that my eldest son and wife are to come into town later on this week (his wife is attending a professional conference/ convention nearby), and then a day or so after they leave 2nd son is coming in and staying for several days for business/personal reasons.

Suddenly what was a leisurely declutter project needed a finish date and became stressful, as this is the same room where they will sleep in.

So my 15 minutes 'me time' will be to take a break and color. I have discovered that coloring is both relaxing and a creative outlet for me. Sometimes I listen to an audio book or podcast while coloring. But I decided that for these specific 15 minutes I'm coloring without listening to my current book or podcast because an audio book for me is the same as reading.... I can easily get tempted to listen/ read 'one more' chapter :wink: and right now I want the focus to be on the calming, quiet aspect of coloring that I enjoy, and limit this particular break to 15 minutes.

The fun part for me will be that for this week's challenge I will be taking a coloring break in the middle of the day even while there are still dishes, laundry, or paperwork to be done, and the 'kid's room' isn't finished yet :p . A perfect stress free 15 minutes for me!

Fun challenge! Thank you <3 .

:flowerforyou:
  • themedalist
    Options
    I love hearing all your plans for your 15 minutes!
  • CorineSilva
    CorineSilva Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge. You my dear are the epitome of inspiration to me thank you!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I love this challenge. You my dear are the epitome of inspiration to me thank you!

Thanks, @corineortega!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I missed this one until I looked at it today. I need this incorporated in my life so badly that I am going to begin this challenge tomorrow and try to do it every day for a week, along with whatever our new challenge is beginning Monday! I don't know what I am going to do yet...I love the sew for 15 minutes, read a fictional book, write, walk for 15 minutes at end of day just in the quiet outdoor and I also love the idea of coloring! However will I choose? LOL! All I know is that I need some me time badly to fight the stress. This is right on time!!!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I missed this one until I looked at it today. I need this incorporated in my life so badly that I am going to begin this challenge tomorrow and try to do it every day for a week, along with whatever our new challenge is beginning Monday! I don't know what I am going to do yet...I love the sew for 15 minutes, read a fictional book, write, walk for 15 minutes at end of day just in the quiet outdoor and I also love the idea of coloring! However will I choose? LOL! All I know is that I need some me time badly to fight the stress. This is right on time!!!

I'm glad you'll be doing this challenge, @OConnell5483! Carving out a little piece of our day for ourselves is a great stress reducer and I think it makes us better able to care for the important people in our lives. We are refreshed, re-energized, and ready to go!