Ouch!

alipene
alipene Posts: 945 Member
I'm really pleased I've lost weight...and so is the mare, I'm sure, but it's generated a little problem I hadn't anticipated... I've been prone to the odd blister...My half-chaps are now too loose, so a blister on my shin from the stirrup leather.... easily remedied...I can buy smaller ones. However, more recently, less fat on my bum has led to the odd bottom blister!

My knickers and jodhpurs fit fine and I use a sheepskin seat-saver, but to no avail...In this recent sticky weather...bottom blisters! Right at the base of my coccyx :huh: Surely I can't be the only one?

Any ideas? I wondered about dressage knickers but I'm not sure if they pad the right places :blushing:

Replies

• MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    My family calls that "monkey butt" lol eventually you get a callous lol..

I had it too when I first had a new saddle and when I rode for long periods of time.. haven't had an issue with it lately and really haven't changed anything other than not going for really long rides.. the longest I ride right now is 1 1/2 hours
  • alipene
    "Monkey butt" :laugh: But I don't think I can handle repeat blisters in order to get a callous :noway: . Last weekend I only walked for about 30 minutes and hey presto...blister. It was very humid and I'm sure that was the problem. It took a few days to feel comfortable even to sit on! I just don't have any padding there anymore!
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Baby powder can help combat monkey butt! There is a product you can buy at my local motorcycle shop actually called "Anti-Monkey Butt," but it's basically baby powder. I've heard you can buy a product at running stores to help combat chafe as well, it may be like a deodorant stick. My doctor told me about it because when I was bigger I would get some bra chafe, but that has gone away in recent months so I never checked out the product, sorry!

I got a rub spot on my tushy when I was camping, it was where a seam in my breeches came together and then rubbed on my saddle's cantle all day, and it was really hot and sweaty, yuck! Mine was just to the left of my coccyx! Those are tender little things aren't they? I haven't had one in years, I hope this isn't a regular thing!

Maybe just sticking a bandaid over that area before you ride? Might do the trick until things cool off again?
  • alipene
    Yes. it's amazing how sensitive such a small sore can be :sad: .Baby powder...Now that sounds like something to try. My delicate area is in exactly the same place. I checked my jods and I think you have something there with the seam suggestion. I'm going to look and see I can get some with more subtle seams.

• spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    I had the same problem...and don't laugh at me...but I had a new tube of diaper rash stuff in my tack box (just in case, for scratches) and decided "hey, why not?" Don't laugh - it worked! :)
  • alipene
    Haha..I have something similar in the tack box and considered it today, but I thought I'd give the baby powder a go. It was our hottest day yet, and humid, and although we only walked...no blister :bigsmile:.

I'm finding out about all sorts of anti-chafe creams/powders/gels. I've ordered myself some 'soft seat' riding knickers which are apparently padded in the right places. I'll review them for you all when I've tried them :flowerforyou:
  • Muff51
    Muff51 Posts: 8
    LOL!
    Sorry about the blisters! I use the Anti Monkey Butt powder on my derriere and shins. It works like a charm
    Happy Riding everyone!
  • alipene
    Well I tried out my soft-seat riding briefs today in hot and humid conditions, and whilst initially I felt like I was wearing Pampers, the moment I sat in the saddle they just moulded in all the right places. Not a blister in sight. Would thoroughly recommend them :bigsmile:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Never heard of Monkey Butt :P, guess my butt is too big to get them xD ha ha!! I always just had a sore bum when I rode a ton!
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    I second the baby powder idea - I use it in my socks when hiking to prevent blisters. Never gotten one from riding, but it's never that hot in Ireland - and I have a sheepskin over a treeless saddle, very cushy!
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    there is a product here in the states called "Body Glide" and it is for runners, cyclists, etc and it works great where ever you put it

http://www.amazon.com/BodyGlide-BGCB-Bodyglide-Original-Anti-Chafe/dp/B005L8YVRO