Need to dial in my food!

Options
gidjinswife
gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
I just printed out last weeks food log to take to my midwife tomorrow. Looking back over my logs I rarely eat all my calories and I don't get much calcium. I've gained less than 3 lbs and I'm 17 weeks. I guess I'll see what she says before I stress too much. I'm on a restricted diet (AIP paleo, with added eggs, chocolate and walnuts, hoping to add more soon) for medical reasons. Wish me luck! This is my 5th baby, but first time with such restrictions, I'm used to my OB or midwife telling me to slow down on my food!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My thoughts, obviously not a doctor so definitely go with what the midwife says over my opinion!. For 17 weeks 3 lbs isn't much, but I don't think it is overly worrisome either. The kid really isn't all that big at that point anyways. As long as your ultrasounds are showing they are growing at an acceptable rate, some women manage to not gain much or till much later.

I would definitely focus on trying to upping your calcium though. I have read babies use quite a bit while they are growing, and if you aren't eating it he/she is sucking it from your bones. Women are already more prone to osteoporosis. Not sure if your version of paleo allows dairy, but if so definitely try to drink so milk and eat cheese. Or, alot of orange juices also have calcium in them now. Or, a good supplement too.
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Had my appointment and she said I haven't gained much because I'm eating so healthy (I took in my log). She said as long as I'm eating when I'm hungry then she's not at all worried about my weight gain. I also got some collard greens which are big in calcium and found I love wraps with them! I also have a list of other high calcium non dairy foods, and maybe after I add nuts I'll try some greek yogurt to see if I can handle it again (last time was ok for once in a while but not every day). Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to quit MFP for awhile, since my dr wasn't concerned then I don't need to be obsessing over all the pretty charts and check boxes. I'll get back on if things start going awry. :)