Check-in: 15 Minutes for Me

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
If you are joining us for this week's challenge, how is it going for you? Can you see yourself making this part of your daily routine?

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I love it. Drinking my coffee doing my morning reading. Just me, myself and I. I will make this part of ,y routine. Find a quiet moment in the day!
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have done both of my activities (= 15 min total) 2 out of 3 days.
    The first was a 10 minute exercise routine, starting me off doing planks and pushups. I didn't do them Tuesday because I had been out doing errands and was pretty tired by evening and just didn't feel like I had the strength. Today I found a different 47 minute routine that had them in, plus roll-ups, another challenge for me. I did the full 47 minutes, with a couple of modifications. And it felt great!
    My right side has always been significantly stronger than the left - but is also the one to have the most past injuries - but both days I was surprised to note that my left side was stronger in the side planks. I will continue working on this type of exercise daily this week, but after this week it will be down to a couple of times a week, because I do several different types of routines, although I exercise daily.
    My 2nd 5 minute task was going through some of my summer wardrobe to see what fits - and I have done that 2 out of 3 days and will devote 5 minutes a day on it this week, but after this I hope I won't need to. I was pleased to find 4 summer bottoms that almost fit, that I had forgotten about.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you all are doing great. Today was the big challenge for me. I've been sewing every day, but today I worked late and felt too tired to tackle the next step in my project. But I wanted to stick to the commitment, so I put a new needle in the machine, filled some bobbins, and rethreaded the machine. 15 minutes done :).
  • kdeclerq
    kdeclerq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Love this challenge. I have been reading for 15 minutes before going to bed - and I think it is actually helping me fall asleep. Usually I stare at my phone or watch a little TV. It's actually really refreshing and I found a book I really like. Hopefully I can keep this up after this week and even throw in a weekend morning reading session.
  • themedalist
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think the beauty of 15 minutes is that it's a small enough chunk of time that it's not a huge obstacle to commit to. Most of us can find 15 minutes for something. But finding 30 minutes for something can be more challenging. At the same time, 15 minutes is a large enough chunk of time to actually get something done. 15 minutes is the Goldilocks time… It's "just right".

A suggestion to those of you who want to continue your 15 minutes beyond this week. According to the habits researchers, it's the consistent practice over and over again that will make it a habit for you. Something that will be part of your daily routine without much conscious thought. Early on, it's important to try to not miss a day. But over time, missing a day here and there is no big deal... and real life has a way of changing our best intentions. However! While missing one day is no big deal, missing two days in a row significantly increases the chances that you'll unravel this habit. Not a sure thing, but it makes it more likely. And three days? Not good.

I sometimes miss a day's guitar practice but I don't miss two days in a row.

Just a suggestion. I love reading your progress update!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    My Turkish is coming along nicely. I Think I've learnt enough to get by including the all important food and drink. I'm going to keep going until my holiday.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    I shared this 15-minute idea with my sister who is also trying to sew more like me. Today, she told me how much it is helping her in spite of working from home and being enlisted for extra babysitting of her 3 grandkids.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    kdeclerq wrote: »
    Love this challenge. I have been reading for 15 minutes before going to bed - and I think it is actually helping me fall asleep. Usually I stare at my phone or watch a little TV. It's actually really refreshing and I found a book I really like. Hopefully I can keep this up after this week and even throw in a weekend morning reading session.

OMG I need to do this!! Thanks for sharing!
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp I am finishing my first week of eating better, getting out at least 5 times a week to walk or ride, and reading everyday. I already feel better!
  • themedalist
    Options
    15 minutes a day has changed my life. I am so thrilled to read your updates and how happy you are sectioning off a tiny chunk of each day and making it your own. Keep it up!

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    After my my son and his wife came into town I continued to make time to color while listening to my current audio library book (To Kill a Mockingbird) when they were out of the house. I added in the audio book along with extra coloring time if I wanted it since I made sure that I had nothing pressing to do for the days they were in town.
    It was easier for me to continue to do this challenge the last half of the week because I had finished decluttering and reorganizing the kids room, and everything was taken care of and clean for the time being. Also I was in "enjoying having my kids over for a visit" mode.

However, it will become a challenge again this next week to continue taking specific time for myself during the day as I will be back to normal for several days before my second son comes in at the end of the week. But at least the room is all ready for him and the house is tidy, so I really don't have anything extra that I have to do for him except some additional grocery shopping when I find out his plans. And I don't plan to start another declutter/ reorganize project until after he leaves.

It was fun to take a planned 15 minutes just to have 'me time' this past week. This will be one of the challenges that I believe will be beneficial to continue. What I will do in the 15 minutes will certainly change from time to time, but I do believe that taking care of myself in some way in the midst of my day does have value for me.

Now, if only the squats challenge was as much fun as this challenge was :laugh:

Thanks for these weekly challenges, Denise. Wishing you continued recovery and healing from your surgery <3 .

:flowerforyou:
  • themedalist
    Options
    A great update, @texasgardnr. I like the idea of 15 minutes spent on different pursuits... very intriguing! Your squats comment is so true. Squats just can't hold a candle to some me time.

I am healing nicely, thanks! A little more mobility every day!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Just started this on Sunday. I'm taking the time to write in my Daily Dialog journal. 15 minutes of spilling my guts--good, bad or ugly. I find it therapeutic to do before bed at night. I am then able to go to bed without bringing the stress with me because I get it out on paper first. I love so many of the things you have all listed that I think I will have to stick to this 15 minute a day idea...when writing becomes a habit, I will add 15 minutes of something else. I love the coloring while listening to an audiobook idea!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    pkotterman wrote: »
    @prgirl39mfp I am finishing my first week of eating better, getting out at least 5 times a week to walk or ride, and reading everyday. I already feel better!

Good for you!!!