August 24 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    9zqtphl9e898.jpg
    Yesterday, I shared the idea of packing along some gluten free bread.
    What are some of your best ideas for eating healthy while traveling for business or pleasure?

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yesterday, I shared the idea of packing along some gluten free bread.
    What are some of your best ideas for eating healthy while traveling for business or pleasure?

Being healthy while travelling.
    • Water is your best friend (avoid caffeine and alcohol where possible while flying).
    • Pre-plan meals (and snacks) where possible even if you need to take them yourself.
    • Most eateries are are happy to customise a meal. Most of the times all you need do is ask. Gives the chef or cook a chance to show off some skill instead of the normal batch prepare grind.
    • Go for higher protein, higher fat, lower carb meals where possible.
    • Take vitamin B supplements (you burn through more of it in higher stress situations).
    • If you over-indulge on alcohol on a social night, drink plenty of water before sleep to help flush the acetaldehyde (hangover cause) out of the system as quickly as possible.
    • Ensure you have enough time for sleep (easy to get well out of line, especially if crossing time zones).
    • Try arrive at night so you can sleep first and start fresh in the morning.
    • Make time to walk (get a chance to look around and get some exercise). Morning sunlight also helps in resetting the body clock (especially if you have changed time zones).
    • There are a number of simple bodyweight exercises that can be done in even the smallest hotel room (unless staying 5 star, hotel gyms are often not nice places to visit). Exercise can help you sleep.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Big mistake dropping out of group!!....I miss all of you, and reading your posts. Will be back in September, for sure. Will follow you all for the rest of this month!

Please post for the rest of the month too! :)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Big mistake dropping out of group!!....I miss all of you, and reading your posts. Will be back in September, for sure. Will follow you all for the rest of this month!

@fightingthetideofaging. You are always welcome here.

Lurk or post, either is fine.

We do like reading your posts (even if it at times it seems to you like a broken record).
  • craigo3154
    edited August 2017
    Options
    am_change wrote: »
    ... when I go to...Belgium, the land of chocolate,waffles, beer, more chocolate, more waffles and more beer...I'll try my best UACers! But heaven help me! ;)

(And completely off topic but @Craigo46 I hate arriving anywhere after dark and always try to arrive with daylight time to explore and get my bearings. :) )

@am_change. Loved Belgium. Did a two week contract in Ghent (an hour out of Brussells) a couple of years ago. The 4kg of Belgium chocolates that came home did not last long.

Arriving after dark (and getting sleep as soon as possible) was a tip I learned travelling on business. I was able to work the next day without having to spend a day re-adjusting the body clock and generally feeling blech!. Plenty of time to get bearings when brain is working at capacity instead of fighting fatigue and jet lag (morning sunlight does wonders for re-setting body clock).

Australia is a long way from everywhere, even short trips international to Asia are 8+ hours flying (even New Zealand is 3 hours). I used to do Europe in 2 week stretches with weekend turnarounds {24+ hours travelling, 48 hours at home over a weekend (to spend time with family), 24+ hours travelling again - all flying in economy}. You learn how to adjust very quickly.
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Great question, @RangerRickL.

We travel a lot during winter, spring, and summer, and our practice is to adhere to our good practices, even when traveling. This means that we try to choose hotels that have a gym--and we use said hotel gyms.

We also bring our own oatmeal/fruit/nuts for breakfast and usually we will hit a grocery store once at our destination, so that we can select healthier foods for lunch. Dinner is typically the only meal that we will eat out, while traveling.

So far, it's worked quite well. Thanks for all of the suggestions--very helpful:).

I didn't have much time to write, yesterday, since it was an early time start for work. My shift usually begins at 10am, but once in a while, I'll have to start at 9am. I'm not gonna lie; it's a little perturbing when my start time gets changed, because it causes a ripple effect on so many things. The worst one? Having to start my workout AT 6:30 AM!!! :'(

Today was much better! I slept in. Day off:)

Exercise: Bike riding for 94 minutes with a lot of hill repeats. My average heart rate was 146/ minute and my SUUNTO heart rate monitor said that I burned 1011 calories. Cool.

Calories: I got a late start on my meals, today, so I'll be a couple of hundred calories below my daily goal. I'm not worried about that, though. I just try to look at the week as a whole, and not get fixated on the daily caloric intake or calorie burn.

Tracking: yes, I tracked everything.

Good job, everyone!! Keep it up!!
  • bocasdelbadbob
    bocasdelbadbob Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nice easy heart rate. I think maybe 110 average for the climbing. I might try amping it up to 130 tomorrow. That is like maybe 83% maxhr for an old guy like me. I doubt that I will hit 90% maxhr in the forseeable future.

Travel ... for me is camping. I eat out of the food box or go to the grocery store. Sometimes I get gas station crackers but those are like 250 cals. Hardly worth it.

onh3za0kb1nf.jpg
  • Dosse1320
    Dosse1320 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My experience with traveling is that we eat well at the beginning of our trip but as time goes by our healthy choices get less and less. I believe this happens because fatigue and lack of routine sets in. Traveling is also stressful. We always buy groceries and walk a lot but still we end up off our healthy diet.
  • cardio_enthusiast
    Options
    120maggie wrote: »

@cardio_enthusiast changes in routine are disruptive if you have a solid workout schedule, but 6:30 am is not an early workout for some of us 4:30am people!

You are so right!!! I tried working out at 5:30am for a period of time and I actually felt sick. I have a lot of admiration and respect for all of you early birds! Keep it up:-)

Cheers!

• cardio_enthusiast
    Options
    Nice easy heart rate. I think maybe 110 average for the climbing. I might try amping it up to 130 tomorrow. That is like maybe 83% maxhr for an old guy like me. I doubt that I will hit 90% maxhr in the forseeable future.

Travel ... for me is camping. I eat out of the food box or go to the grocery store. Sometimes I get gas station crackers but those are like 250 cals. Hardly worth it.

onh3za0kb1nf.jpg

Well done! Nice climb :)
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes

For the travel question, I'll second what others have said about planning. I used to have to drive back and forth from my home in the DC area to Ohio very frequently. I found if I packed my lunch and ate it before I was tempted to buy some junk food, it worked. Also stopping to hike at some point kept me on track.
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Got a little over 11 miles in today was a good day cardio wise :smile:
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
    (120.97/ 140) Mile Goal
    Should hit the goal soon

I haven't really eaten healthy while traveling yet but I've certainly learned a good bit from the thread today for my future!
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    During my travel, I did appreciate and eat 4 slices of my gluten free bread. I used it as a substitute for the wheat bread on what I was served. In addition, I did use my 1 oz bags of almonds to get me through between meals.
    Nonetheless, I did go over my calories today by 100 calories. It's a Pass Day.
    I almost made it but I was just too hungry when I got off the plane and I hit the fast food burgers and fries.
    It's still was a better day thanks to the planning.
    See you tomorrow!!
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    3 yesses today. I had to force myself to eat a decent snack tonite because I was too low on calories. It takes the joy out of eating when it's so painful to swallow. Still feeling run down so I kept my workout light. 30 minutes of upper body strength. Felt good to get back to weightlifting.