July 31 Weekly Challenge: Make Your Week Harder

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Exercise and Movement
Challenge: Make Your Week Harder

If you've participated in several of our weekly challenges, you've probably noticed a consistent theme: our daily habits have a tremendous impact on our health and wellbeing. In fact, small habit changes and tweaks to your daily routine are the most sustainable and, as such, can have a big impact on your life. Eating a few more fruits and veggies, decluttering around the house, cultivating gratitude, and setting aside a few minutes a day just for you, are small actions but they multiply in impact and become life changing when they are woven into your daily routine.

This week's challenge is no different. This week in our Exercise and Movement category, we will be focused on sitting less and moving more. Let's extend Dr. Mike Evans "Let's Make Our Day Harder" to a full week. Let's look for opportunities to be more active throughout our day....taking the stairs, parking further away, and adding a few more steps here and there. With a little practice, it's easy to do. And it can make a big difference in our overall health.

This Week's Challenge: Watch Dr. Evans' video and then find and implement ways you can be more active throughout your day. Practice these small actions and see which are a good fit for you and something you can sustain.

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the updates post this Wednesday. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Let's Make Our Day Harder (video below)

23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health? (video below)

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • themedalist
    Options
    23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I especially liked the Let's Make Our Day Harder video! I'm in for the challenge this week :)

Denise, thank you for another challenge and for more great resources. I really appreciate them and the effort you put into finding them for us.

:flowerforyou:
  • Tbatam
    Tbatam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise, I have been a member but have not been very active on MFP in the past. Life events change one's perspective and I am making decisions differently these days. This will be my first challenge and I am excited to do so. I like your approach to encouraging us to make small differences that will cause big changes in us, not just physically but emotionally as well.

Lets make our week harder starting....NOW!!! :D;)B)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Great resources. Parking at the end of the parking lot is one of my favorite ways to make my week harder. It is better for your car's paint job. However, if everyone started to park at the end of the parking lot, that benefit to your car might be eliminated. ;)
  • themedalist
    Options
    I especially liked the Let's Make Our Day Harder video! I'm in for the challenge this week :)

Denise, thank you for another challenge and for more great resources. I really appreciate them and the effort you put into finding them for us.

:flowerforyou:

@texasgardnr, my pleasure! I enjoy every aspect of this process: devising useful challenges, researching the topic for good resources, writing up the challenge, and then reading your comments and responses. Some of the topics are things I have some/a lot of familiarity with, but with other topics I'm a newbie eager to learn more. I think it will become harder for me over time as I deplete my "parking lot" of challenge ideas, but I'm looking at that as another challenge. I like challenges.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Tbatam wrote: »
    Hi Denise, I have been a member but have not been very active on MFP in the past. Life events change one's perspective and I am making decisions differently these days. This will be my first challenge and I am excited to do so. I like your approach to encouraging us to make small differences that will cause big changes in us, not just physically but emotionally as well.

Lets make our week harder starting....NOW!!! :D;)B)

Welcome to our group, @Tbatam! You made my day! I really enjoy hearing from new members who are excited about our challenges and motivated to get going. Make some small changes and tweaks to your daily routine, keep it up, and you'll be amazed by the difference it makes in your life.

8al08iropia0.jpg
  • themedalist
    edited August 2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Great resources. Parking at the end of the parking lot is one of my favorite ways to make my week harder. It is better for your car's paint job. However, if everyone started to park at the end of the parking lot, that benefit to your car might be eliminated. ;)

@77tes, I like how Dr. Evans calls distant parking spots "spots for people who want to live longer and have a higher quality of life." Right on! I also like parking further away because I have difficulty pulling into a normal parking spot since I have no depth perception. In all my years of driving, it's never been a problem because I can always find a spot if I'm willing to walk a minute or two.
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Some time ago I turned off all the notifications on my apps- so I don't get dings, vibrations and emails all day telling me everything everyone is doing. I love it. Now- if I pick up my phone in the middle of the day to check Facebook, or MFP, etc., it's a choice I've made. This week I'm going to work on getting up from my computer and walking at least 200 steps every 2 hours. I know I'll feel better!
  • themedalist
    Options
    pkotterman wrote: »
    Some time ago I turned off all the notifications on my apps- so I don't get dings, vibrations and emails all day telling me everything everyone is doing. I love it. Now- if I pick up my phone in the middle of the day to check Facebook, or MFP, etc., it's a choice I've made. This week I'm going to work on getting up from my computer and walking at least 200 steps every 2 hours. I know I'll feel better!

@pkotterman, I think turning off the app notifications is very helpful. It's hard to stay focused on anything with constant app interruptions. I've turned almost all of them off as well and I find it's more calming and quieter that way... I'm not always in a reactive mode to buzzes and pings that aren't that important in the big picture. Your goal of walking 200 steps every few hours is a good one. Got to break up all that sitting! There is a great app called Move Your App that will remind you to move if you want reminders, but you may prefer the peace and quiet.

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    pkotterman wrote: »

OH my I have done the same and it has worked wonders for me. The constant checking on my phone was distracting me from what I really needed to be doing; stuff for me! Thanks for sharing!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    I remember getting my Fitbit 2 yrs ago, thinking I was going to blow it because I knew I was so active and I was doing ok only to find out I only took 2,000 per day. It was mind blowing the amount of time I spent sitting down. Scary! Thank you Denise for the reminder that every step we take is a step toward out health. Love this challenge.
  • betterjude
    betterjude Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow I found the challenge at last! Having just posted a question asking where to look! Typical! Anyway, I'm pleased to say I had joined the challenge without realising.. I have been walking for three out of four days this week managing over 10,000 steps, just been doing some ironing and instead of placing garments on the coffee table next to me, I have been walking to far end of the dining room, placing stuff on the table there, or walking into the kitchen to place items to air on the wood burner! Added 2000 steps which I wouldn't normally have achieved. Great idea, easy to do small things! Xx
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    betterjude wrote: »
    Wow I found the challenge at last! Having just posted a question asking where to look! Typical! Anyway, I'm pleased to say I had joined the challenge without realising.. I have been walking for three out of four days this week managing over 10,000 steps, just been doing some ironing and instead of placing garments on the coffee table next to me, I have been walking to far end of the dining room, placing stuff on the table there, or walking into the kitchen to place items to air on the wood burner! Added 2000 steps which I wouldn't normally have achieved. Great idea, easy to do small things! Xx

Exactly. I am a stay at home mom and it is so easy to just sit and now I look for ways to make my day more active. Great ideas!