Why do you hate your bodies? How did this happen?

Options
Women all over the globe for countless years have hated their bodies. Why? Is it because you saw a magazine in a store as a child with a super model on the front who looks like she hasn't eaten in weeks? Is it because you were bullied as a child for your weight? Is it because no boys liked you and you thought it might have to do with the way you look? Did you learn this self-hate from your mother who also has issues with this? Or your sister who hated the way she looked before a date? WHY? Why did you learn that hating your body, even if you are unhappy with it, is okay and normal?

For me, my body hating came from my sister and my dad. My sister had an eating disorder problem and hated her body so much. Even though she was thin and looked great that's not what she saw in the mirror. My sister is 6 years older than me, and I remember her dressing up before a date and asking me to tell her what i thought of her outfits. After each one, she'd sigh and get frustrated saying "UGh! I'm so fat. I look like a freak." I sat there through every outfit and every time she said that I'd compare my body to hers. If she was fat, than I must be horribly obese. My dad also added to this by making comments about my weight. I think he meant the best, but it always came out bad.

Why is this a bad thing? Because you should LOVE your body, and yourself. Maybe coming to terms with how you got here in the first place will help you realize the distortion in your thoughts, and help you move toward loving every inch of yourself.

Replies

• therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well for starters, there's a beauty industry that makes millions off of women hating how they look. Not hating on anyone who uses beauty products (I wear eco friendly concealer and a light powder, sometimes some mascara and eyeliner!) but everywhere we look in supermarkets and shops it's all about how we women can get smaller and smaller! Zap that fat! Lose 10 lbs in 10 days! Foods to eat to trim your tummy and firm those thighs!

There aren't enough public influences saying normal, sensible things. Women, like most good things in life, are not meant to be fat free. Our lives don't need to be a constant disappearing act.

My mom has some weird hang-ups about thinness and food and it bothered be for a long time. But I know better than to follow in her footsteps :) I <3 me!