Check-in: Make Your Week Harder

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
If you're participating in this week's challenge, how is it going for you? Is your week just a little harder?

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    Mine is! I've been practicing walking 15 and 20 minutes stretches with my new hip. I am back at work this week and I need to be able to walk from the parking lot to my building. Normally, that takes me 10 to 12 minutes, but I think 15 and even 20 minutes is more reasonable until I find my walking groove.

Thank you for the well wishes regarding my surgery and recovery. I appreciate it! I feel good, though my leg is still pretty sore and needs a lot of icing. I'm back to walking 5500 to 7500 steps a day and no matter how much I walk, that searing, horrible arthritis pain is gone. Yay!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been trying to choose to walk places as much as possible. Yesterday I went to dinner and theatre in central London and chose to walk in from where I work in Lambeth (just south of the river Thames) rather than get the underground. I did the same on the way home. I walked to the train station that connects to my neighbourhood rather than getting the underground. Not only was this healthier but it was a lot more pleasant than being in the hot crowded underground.
  • partygirlha
    partygirlha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm at home these days. So once an hour I'm going to make sure I get up and find at least 3 things to put away or clean.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the l-o-o-o-n-g way to the restroom while at work. I find that my attitude has changed so much. I am no longer annoyed that things are farther away than convenient - that just means I'll get to walk a bit more.

@themedalist , you are a BEAST! Back to work already! I'm so glad the arthritis pain is gone! I can imagine that walk from the parking lot seems so long at this point.

@jesspen91 , dinner and theater in London? Wow! That sounds great! Walking makes it even better. My neighborhood is being "gentrified" which I'm not crazy about, but I like that it is becoming more walking-friendly than most of Los Angeles. P.S. What show did you see?

@partygirlha , that is such a clever idea. If I tidied or cleaned 3 things every hour, my house would be much cleaner. :smiley:
  • jaysmom23
    jaysmom23 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm taking more stairs at work!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Nicely done, Everyone!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @77tes Luckily London is pretty pedestrian friendly and has great public transport between the underground, trains, buses and trams. I don't like buses but they're definitely a cost effective way to get around. You pay a flat rate of £1.50 to go as far on the route as you want and you can even get a second bus included in the price if it's in the same hour! Underground and trains are more expensive but still pretty reasonable off peak. I don't have a car and I don't know anyone living in zones 1-3 that does either. You just don't need it.

I saw Evita. It was alright but not amazing. I probably go to the theatre too oftwn and spend more money than I should! But my sister's staying with me this weekend so we wanted to do something nice.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Every hour i try as much as I can to take 200 steps. It is a feature on my Fitbit and I love it. Somedays are challenging that others but the goal is to move as much as I can.

Well done everyone!
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the train and walking. Trying to get up and do exercise reps or steps every hour. It is harder- and takes time- but it's worth it.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to think of one or two brand new things to do that can be sustainable after this week is over. I came up with two so far:
    When I sort out the mail for shredding or recycling, I will take one piece of mail at a time to where I have the recyclables basket, near the back porch door, instead of waiting until I am finished and take everything all at once. This is not really as far as it sounds but it adds to about 20 or so extra steps round trip for each piece of mail. However if I recycle 5 pieces of mail that day then that is an extra 100 steps where it is only 20 if I carry everything at once.

Also when I go to the store and have items that need to be put into the bathrooms or bedrooms, such as toothpaste, shampoo, or soap etc, I'll take one item at a time instead of gathering all or as much as I can carry at one time.

Oh, I just remembered that I did another thing where I took more steps, without planning it as such, earlier in the week, but I could plan to do it on purpose when possible:
    When I took my husband's laundry off the line I took his work pants off the line first, and brought them into the house and put them away, then I went back out to the line and took down his fold-up work shirts and brought them inside and put them away, and then brought in his hang up work shirts and hung them up. I did several loads that day and had a lot of laundry, so I did it only to make it more organized and not so cumbersome to carry, but I can do the same even if the loads aren't so big and I would've put them all into the basket at one time to bring in.

These are only small things, and not done every day, but hopefully they can become habitual as it is a new thing, and I have never tried to make things that I do harder :laugh:, and every extra step counts.

Another good challenge! Thank you...

:flowerforyou: