Longer second toe problems!

Options
melluc2
melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
Ok...so my second toes is a little bit longer than my big toe. Not crazy long, but long enough to rub against my shoe while running, I guess. I honestly never noticed till I started upping my mileage! Now the tip of it is getting callused/ blistered? My shoe fits great except that one spot, so I don't want to change shoes, unless I have to. Is there ways to fix this? Body glide? Tiny toe socks?! Haha! :) Anyone else have this problem??

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Not precisely the same issue, but the third toe on my right foot is longer than the second toe. My podiatrist tells me that the x-rays show an old (undiagnosed) stress fracture of the metatarsal healed with the bone longer and elevated. Surgery could be done, but is a bit of an extreme solution. The first thing to try, per the podiatrist, is simply to learn to run so it doesn't hurt or cause the secondary aches and pains that made me ask about it in the first place.

So . . . yes, I get calluses on the tips of some of my toes. The podiatrist will shave them, and sell me some cream to make them melt gradually, but the only real way to eliminate them is to stop running. That's a cure worse than the disease, IMO. So I just keep sanding them away with a pumice stone, let the podiatrist shave calluses every two months, and use that cream he sells me. Keeps it enough under control that I can train for marathons, and that's good enough for me.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In your case, a different shoe, insole, or socks might help, depending on the root cause.

I have a longer second toe. I buy my shoes big enough to have room and they do not hit the front of my shoe, but because my second toe is longer, I have a natural tendency to curl it and push the tip down into the bottom of my shoe to help stabilize myself, and still get issues with black toenails/callouses on the tip of those second toes. Being more conscious trying not to curl it and keeping my toenails very short has helped, but it's still an issue and I just deal with it. I just let it callous to help protect it and do not bother to sand it down. Like @MobyCarp, my remedy would probably be not running or running much less. That cure is worse than the problem for me.

• melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hmmm

I curl my toes a bit too when I run. I guess I'll keep my nails short and try not to curl it (which sounds really weird when I write it out).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It's got an official name. Some kind of syndrome or disease or something. Only thing that it is is a longer 2nd toe.

My right 2nd is a fair bit longer - left is shorter. I have to buy shoes that fit that foot. That's the best remedy. My toe is all still crazy callioused. If that nail gets too long, it's gone too.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't have this same problem, but when I started running longer distances I (like many other runners) started losing toenails. I bought my shoes 1/2 size larger and this has seemed to help. Same shoes, just a little longer and roomier in the end.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I buy shoes a half size larger now. I kept getting a blister on the second toe during long races. Never felt it otherwise but it seemed better to just get shoes that gave my feet more room.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I went up a half size in shoes. The blister/callouses weren't so much an issue, but I lifted the nail such that it grows thick underneath now and is permanently grayish :( For longer distances, I cover the top with a small bandaid (the waterblock ones are real thin) to protect it.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bigger shoe, then individual toe compression socks (I have these and your feet feel really comfty). I also purchased individual toe sleeves from the chemist that sit over your toe to protect it (like a mini condom, rubber on the inside to stop it from moving and material on the outside).
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Second toe longer than the first is called Morton's Toe. I have it as well and simply buy larger shoes.
  • katryan1626
    katryan1626 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My second toes are a lot longer than my big toe. I buy a 1/2 size larger shoe, it helps quite a bit. I still have purple toenails tho, due to the toe hitting the end of shoe, but it doesn’t hurt.