Just diagnosed and really a mess

Options
brandygburke
brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
Hello all!

I suffered from heart failure for 13 years (from pregnancy) - then I got the all clear last month that my heart finally recovered.
Went to the Gynecologist and she ran labs - turns out my cholesterol is outrageous ( it could be higher, but with my heart history, it's not good), my TSH is 4.26, D3 is 22 and Omega 3 is 2.6

I'm stressed. I don't know the first thing about hypothyroidism. It was a surprise to me. I'd been feeling dizzy and funkily fatigued for the past couple of weeks but attributed it to being busy (I run a small but successful and busy business) -

I am on Synthroid 50mcg. I begged for Armour Thyroid but the doc disregarded that. I've not had any T4/T3 stuff tested. Just TSH. It's been climbing slowly for the past year - in July of last year it was 2.26 (and cholesterol was ok) then in Feb of this year, it was 3.36 (LDL was 102) and then on 7/12 it was 4.26 (LDL 127, LDL-P 1699, hs-CRP 1.86) - I thought I was finally getting healthy.

Can someone clue me on on what I should/shouldn't be eating? Should/shouldn't be doing - or a good website to get information - everything I read contradicts what other websites say and I'm a bit of a mess.

Brandy

Replies

• msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello Brandy, I have hypothyroidism and have had for the past 10 years at least. It affects everyone different but there are a few common symptoms. Fatigue,high cholestrol,brain fog,swelling of face and hands...etc. If you do not take your medication you can actually feel like you are going through pms and change of life at the same time!! There have been several times that I have not had my medication and have felt like I was going to go nuts!!.......It affects your hormones and matabolism..... It can be very detailed.. I would suggest to give the medication enough time to kick in and do what your doctor says......... There are some symtoms that I may have that you may not have...... so it would be dangerous really for me to advise you to do anything except to do what you doctor tells you too.... Most doctors want a blood test every three months before they will refill a RX (this can be a pain in the butt) but they do this to make sure you are getting the right dosage. If they do not do the lab work and give you a higher dosage it can be dangerous..... Because it raises your heart rate. and can cause you to have a heart attack or stroke... that is why they will not refill your RX without blood work done. Once they find the right dosage they may give you RX for 6 months or for a year without requiring blood work before refill. SO I would suggest to stick with one physician to monitor and give you your RX........ Trust me when I say that you do not want to stop taking your medication.... You can get depressed and feel like you are going crazy because it does affect your hormones and metabolism.... If you want I will be your hypothyroidism buddy ... but please keep in mind that some of the symtoms may be different. After the medication starts to kick in, you should notice a difference in your moods and should not be so tired....... if this does not get better.. dont freak out... they may just need to increase the dosage. They usually start you out on a lower dose so it wont trip your heart out or anything.... I hope some of this info helps :)
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh.... as far as diet.... that would depend on what it is affecting... If it affects your cholestrol, then you want to eat foods that will help lower your cholestrol. I would ask your physician to give you a basic diet to work with. I have to watch my cholestrol too. I can only share what my doctor has me doing but it might not be right for you. My doctor also put me on meds for my cholestrol and told me to take fish oil. Your doctor may not want that for you so please ask your doctor for guidance in that area.