Menopausal weight gain

Seems the minute I found out I was going through menopause, I started gaining weight around my middle. I try to make smart choices when eating but can't do strenuous exercises due to bad hips, knees and feet. I walk and recently dusted off my bicycle. It's just sooooooo hard for me to care about what I eat when I feel sooooo angry, sad, crazy and let's not forget HOT! Is there anyone else out there with tips to help me and all the other ladies out there going through this? I know I'm not alone but sometimes it sure feels like I am.....H E L P !

Replies

• MarileeP
    MarileeP Posts: 32 Member
    I've been gaining weight around my middle for years so don't think I can blame it on menopause. Sorry to hear about your hips, knees & feet. Have you considered swimming? Great cardio workout without the joint stress. Don't know if it's an option or not but thought I'd throw it out there.

As for tips - I can commiserate but don't really have any tips other than exercise. I've found that when I do it (which hasn't been often lately but I'm getting back into it) my mood really is much better. I think it's two-fold. I'm feeling virtuous because I've actually gotten off my backside and I'm getting the endorphins that exercise brings about. Still have the mood swings but they are toned down.

I will be in peri-menopause until I'm 99 at the rate I'm going - get the hot flashes and mood swings but my cycle is absolutely as regular as ever. Had a 20 something look at me incredulously recently and say "so does that mean you can still get pregnant?" I answered in the affirmative and she was aghast. My 27 y/o daughter who happened to be over and who has given me 2 lovely grandgirls looked at me and said oh mom, you're not planning to though right? That would just be too weird. I simply gave her a Mona Lisa smile...was my laugh for the day. Hang in there, we can get through this.