Food Ideas and tweaks

Options
GBO323
GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
I'm back on NS after a rise on the scale...it really helped me and here are some of the food ideas/tweaks that made it doable.

Spices: Most people may not know that there are other spices out there aside from Salt and Pepper. I'm not kidding...it's true. Try some garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, southwest season, etc (Not all together) and your NS entrees's will some alive. One of my faves is the smoked salt in the NS Black Beans and rice.

Butter Spray: Yes...I love the taste of butter, but NS won't let me have it...so this handy bottle helps me alot. I spray it on almost everything. 2-3 sprays and the bland taste goes away.

Extras: I love cream cheese. I found whipped cream cheese has less fat and you get more of it than the reduced fat cream cheese...4 TBSP for the same 100 calories you're allotted for extras. I buy the two of 12 oz containers at a time. One I leave as it, the other I put 1 tablespoon of Ranch Dressing dry mix into....makes for a great spread on my bread, NS Omelet, rolled up lunch meat, etc. Also, I keep chicken broth handy when hunger hits and I need some help.

Tea: I keep a jug at home and a jug at work. Flavor it with Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup ($1 Stores..best deal)

Sweetener: I've found some like SweetNLow, some like Equal. One day, instead of the 4 SweetNLow I put in my coffee, I did 2 SweetNLow and 2 Equal...and it tasted sweeter, like real sugar. So try it. Doa half and half and see how you like it. I don't do Splenda...bitter after-taste. I don't do Truvia/Stevia as I'm a small portion of the population that gets achy knees and joints from it. Google it. I didn't know until I started hurting and my doctor asked if I was eating Stevia. No more for me.

Ok, so what are some of your ideas/food tweaks?

-Glenn

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi
    Some of the things I do...
    1. Add Maple Extract and sweetener to the NS pancake Mix to create a pancake that does not need syrup.
    2. Take the NS Hamburger and use a 1/2 slice of Velveeta @ 40 calories per slice, torn into 1/3 & 2/3 with some of following add on to taste.
    3. Note: they also work well on the NS Grilled Chicken Sandwich.
    ShopRite Precooked Bacon slices @ 20 calories per slice
    Lettuce
    Onions
    Tomatoes
    a taste of Miracle Whip
    BBQ Sauce watching the amount used.

If You like a sweet pickle or Relish Mount Olive has a Zero Calorie No Sugar Added Relish and Gherkins. Vlassic has No Sugar Added Bread and Butter Pickle Spears at Zero calories per serving too.
    Notice that that under US Government regulations a serving under 5 calories can be listed on the Nutrition label as Zero calories :)

More later on
    Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,044 Member
    Options
    xylitol is a natural sweetener. Low cal and low carb. Tastes and acts just like sugar. My dentist said it is good for your teeth.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Info