Goal Setting

Options
am35
am35 Posts: 10 Member
How do you set your marathon goals? I took a few years off from distance running and am running a marathon in October, but I'm starting to think my goal might be a little too low. My marathon PR is 4:22 from 2013 (not a lot of training and I had my wisdom teeth removed the week before so I think this could've been better) and I'm shooting for a 4 hour marathon this year. Is this too conservative? I'm on week 10 of training and am feeling pretty good about my long runs (albeit they've been pretty slow, ~11min/miles for my 20 miler last week - we're just starting to add in speed work this week)

Replies

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If your PR is 4:22, 4 flat is a good target. You don't want to push yourself too hard. However, at the end of the day, it's going to come down to your training. Were you consistent? Also, is this your first marathon since returning from your break?
  • am35
    Options
    This time I'm consistent but the previous training sessions I wasn't. I'm training with a running group and am doing 2 days running workouts (this week has been speed focused), 1 long run and 2 days a week cross training. This will be my first marathon since the running break (this break wasn't completely without running, I switched to doing Orangetheory for 6x a week so did get in some short distances there).

Yesterday I did a 10 mile speed workout with 800m @ HM pace, 400m @ 10K pace and had trouble slowing down to those paces. I've been noticing that with my speed workouts the paces feel a little slow to me and makes me feel like I might be holding back a bit
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Try a few workouts where you push the pace up a bit and see how it feels. You may need to shoot for a faster marathon time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,693 Member
    Options
    The best way to determine your marathon pace is to run a shorter race - preferably a HM, but a 10k will also work. You can't base your pace on where you want to be, or where you were 4 years ago; you need to base it on your current training and fitness. A lot of plans include a HM 6-8 weeks before the goal race. Then double the time and add 10-20 minutes. Ten minutes if you are running 70+ miles a week, 20 if you are running about 50 miles, more than that if you are running less. There are race predictors that will ask about your current mileage and experience, those that don't assume a high level of training (i.e. McMillan). Then on race day, you may have to modify based on weather (heat or wind), terrain, and how you are feeling that day. Lack of sleep or fuel in the days before may mean you need to slow down your pace from the start. Having a goal pace that is realistic and based on your actual current fitness will help prevent crash and burn. It's no fun to go out fast and end up walking the last 6-8 miles. BTDT
  • am35
    Options
    Thanks this is very helpful! I did a half a few weeks ago and paced around 4 hours marathon time so I'll stick with that goal
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    am35 wrote: »
    This time I'm consistent but the previous training sessions I wasn't. I'm training with a running group and am doing 2 days running workouts (this week has been speed focused), 1 long run and 2 days a week cross training. This will be my first marathon since the running break (this break wasn't completely without running, I switched to doing Orangetheory for 6x a week so did get in some short distances there).

Yesterday I did a 10 mile speed workout with 800m @ HM pace, 400m @ 10K pace and had trouble slowing down to those paces. I've been noticing that with my speed workouts the paces feel a little slow to me and makes me feel like I might be holding back a bit

The phrase '10 mile speed work' just blows my mind! :drinker: :laugh:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    am35 wrote: »

The phrase '10 mile speed work' just blows my mind! :drinker: :laugh:

You know you're in marathon training when the warmup, speed work, and cool down add up to 12 miles and that isn't considered your long run of the week.