Let's Talk About Shoes

Options
ZenInTexas
ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
So as a newish runner this is something else that I really don't know much about. I got fitted for shoes last year and I have stuck with the exact same ones because they work so well for me, however they have been discontinued and the new updated version of them suck. (I'm wearing Asics GT-2170's) So I'm going to be on the hunt for a new brand I guess. My question is this though, I noticed that several of you have said you wear different kinds of shoes depending on the length of run. Why is that? Also have any of you started out needing stability shoes and then didn't need them later on? And how do you go about picking out new shoes? Go back to the running store and get refitted? It's hard to know what to get without really getting to try them out, and it's not like I want to be buying numerous pairs of hundred dollar shoes only to find out they don't work.

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    There a Luke's Locker in Katy, and they let you try out shoes for I think 10 or 15 days and they will give you your money back if you bring them back because they don't work for you and you buy a new pair. For picking shoes, you can just tell any of the people at Luke's how much you run & how fast you run, plus any issues you have with your current shoes. They have a track in the store and will watch you run in any shoes that you try on and then suggest new things to try.

Lots of people use minimalist shoes for short runs, but need more support for long runs, and some people have racing flats which are really lightweight for an actual race, but don't train in them. Lots of people have 2 pairs of the exact same shoe and alternate in order to lengthen the life and to make sure that they dry completely before wearing again. This also means that you always have 2 pairs that are already worked in and available at any time.

I have some Vibrams that I might run a couple of miles in, but for 3 miles or longer I only wear my Brooks Launch. I have a very high arch, so a show without high arch support gives me blisters. These never have and I love them. About a year ago they were discontinued so I ordered 3 pairs online, but Brooks changed their mind and kept them on the market :)
  • ZenInTexas
    Options
    I love Luke's Locker, that's where I go. And you're right, they're super cool about taking back shoes, I did return a pair not too long ago. I wanted to return the last pair I bought too but unfortunately I had run through a bunch of rain and mud and so I didn't feel right about asking them to take them back. So they are gathering dust in my closet. I guess that's my issue, I tried them in the store and they were great but after really getting to try them out and having several runs in the them I really didn't like them.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    First of all I recommend going to www.runningshoewarehouse.com. I am from Canada as you know and even with shipping they work out to being much cheaper per pair, I go in to the running store, try on shoes similar fit to my old shoes, then buy online.

I started out in Pegasus and never really changed them because "why fix what isn't broke" but noticed that the marshmallow like cushioning as I became lighter and a more efficient runner, wasn't necessary anymore. The last 2 models of Pegasus (although they work for some, were just too much for me, I found the cushion broke in unevenly and gave me hip aches once they got worn in the 28's) so I said never again to the Pegasus... who knows maybe the 30 will be redeemers, lol. I've never gotten into anything minimal with a low heel drop yet, but I'm working down towards a lower heel drop and less cushioning. So I have been buying different shoes with lower heel drops to cycle in on my shorter, faster or active recovery days to adjust to the lower heel drops gradually. Being that I'm a neutral shoe gal and don't need any stability, but still want some cushion, it's easier for me to shop, if you need stability I'd go back in and get refitted. I've decided since I replace my shoes every 400-500 miles to just buy older models on the cheap, no sense in going broke every 5 months.

Mizuno, Brooks, New Balance, Adidas, I love them all, they all have something in my price range in my desired fit, I don't stick it out with any one shoe or brand anymore. Another site I found helpful was www.runningshoesguru.com

Adding to the discussion I do believe I shall be picking up a pair of Mizuno Sayonara's just for the fun of it... they feel amazing... I'm a running shoe addict. -.-
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like going to Road Runner Sports. They do the gait analysis and they also make custom inserts for your shoes. I have really high arches (like literally, the middle of my foot is missing from the paper when you do the wet foot test! And the custom inserts seriously help me a lot. I was originally fitted back in 2010 for a stability shoe, and just kept buying stability shoes after that (mostly the same pair). After a knee injury that stopped me from running for about 9 months, my physical therapist worked with me to change my gait a bit (i was a bad heal striker) and I became a midfoot / forefoot striker. My stability shoes seemed to be causing me discomfort so I recently went to Road Runner Sports about 2 months ago and got refitted, and they switched me to a neutral shoe, and that has been so much better for me now.

I think anytime you are unsure of what shoe you should buy or if you think your gait has changed, it doesnt hurt to get refitted. At Road Runner Sports they dont charge you for the fitting and gait analysis, so I figure might as well keep getting it done if needed!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    (I'm wearing Asics GT-2170's) So I'm going to be on the hunt for a new brand I guess.
    #1 I hate when that happens but..
    #2 Check amazon and runningwarehouse, usually when the new model comes out the old ones go on clearnace. I usually run on last year's model.

Having 2 pair of the same shoe allows the foam to fully recover before you start compressing it again leading to longer shoe life.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have 3 different pairs I run in, but they are all the same brand - Brooks. I got fitted the first couple times I bought running shoes, and they were able to put me in the "guidance" category of Brooks. I've definitely had success with them, so now I just go to the Brooks website and look in that category. I usually do still go into my local running store, just because they're great about returns, and I like to support the local stores.

My 3 pairs are - 1 minimalist (I wear these on short road runs - Brooks PureCadence), 1 regular pair (just kind of my go-to universal shoe that I could wear for anything - these are Brooks Ravenna's), and then Trail Running Shoes (Brooks Cascadia's).

I have heard that it's good to not run in the same pair everyday, so having the 3 pairs works out great. I got them each about a month apart from each other - which was still expensive, but not as much as getting them all at once. I'm hoping I won't need to replace them as close together too.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    Runningwarehouse is awesome. I wear Newtons and they can run up to 160.00. I got them online for 67.00!! I used to wear Asics and loved them, but I developed plantar fasciitis because I was heal striking so hard. I started wearing the Newtons so I could feel where my foot is striking the ground. Now I am more of a mid foot runner and it has helped me immensely. But that was my form problem, everybody has their own style, gate and mechanics. Just need to experiment some. I use the same pair for all my races.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    So as a newish runner this is something else that I really don't know much about. I got fitted for shoes last year and I have stuck with the exact same ones because they work so well for me, however they have been discontinued and the new updated version of them suck. (I'm wearing Asics GT-2170's)

I've worn those for years as well. Switching to the Asics Cumulus with my next pair (seem to be the closest to the 2170s best I can tell). I tried them on at Sports Authority but will probably order them from Running Warehouse. If I could put my hands on more 2170s I'd buy every pair in my size I could find.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    First of all I recommend going to www.runningshoewarehouse.com. I am from Canada as you know and even with shipping they work out to being much cheaper per pair, I go in to the running store, try on shoes similar fit to my old shoes, then buy online.

Please don't do that. There's more to value than price and it's not ok to waste an employee's time getting advice and then shop online. Buy at least the first pair from the shop that served you (assuming they're not jerks) and after that give them the chance to match the online price.

Most running stores do a lot more than just sell shoes. Many of them organize free running clinics, supply pace bunnies for races etc etc etc.

Support your local economy........
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Please don't do that. There's more to value than price and it's not ok to waste an employee's time getting advice and then shop online. Buy at least the first pair from the shop that served you (assuming they're not jerks) and after that give them the chance to match the online price.

Most running stores do a lot more than just sell shoes. Many of them organize free running clinics, supply pace bunnies for races etc etc etc.

Agree 100%and most shops will price match anyway.

what will you all do when there are no more shops to give advice................................................
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge ASICS fan ... I have 3 pairs now, a minimalist (Lyte 33 II) , one Nimbus 13 and a Pulse 3. The newest is the Lyte, I love this shoe! Lightweight and a lot of cushioning for its weight. I use it to quality sessions and Races. The others two I'm using to alternate with the Lyte only, and I use them on easy and long runs, especially the nimbus due its cushioning.

Just a detail about the Nimbus and Pulse. I felt them really heavy I'm just using them until they die (LOL) and after that I'll buy just lightweight shoes for mid-foot runners .
  • ZenInTexas
    Options
    So as a newish runner this is something else that I really don't know much about. I got fitted for shoes last year and I have stuck with the exact same ones because they work so well for me, however they have been discontinued and the new updated version of them suck. (I'm wearing Asics GT-2170's)

I've worn those for years as well. Switching to the Asics Cumulus with my next pair (seem to be the closest to the 2170s best I can tell). I tried them on at Sports Authority but will probably order them from Running Warehouse. If I could put my hands on more 2170s I'd buy every pair in my size I could find.

I've been tracking down as many pairs as I can, I wish I would have known they were going to discontinue, I would have stocked up!!
  • ZenInTexas
    Options

Agree 100%and most shops will price match anyway.

what will you all do when there are no more shops to give advice................................................

I find the prices at the running store to be pretty comparable to what I can find at Sports Authority or online. I don't mind buying my shoes there. They also sell other stuff, like gu for example, cheaper than you can buy it other places. What I don't buy there is clothes. Way too expensive for me.
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    (I'm wearing Asics GT-2170's) So I'm going to be on the hunt for a new brand I guess.
    #1 I hate when that happens but..
    #2 Check amazon and runningwarehouse, usually when the new model comes out the old ones go on clearnace. I usually run on last year's model.

Having 2 pair of the same shoe allows the foam to fully recover before you start compressing it again leading to longer shoe life.

This. I just bought 3 pairs of the Brooks Ghost 5, which is on sale now that the 6 has come out. I will rotate them throughout the next several months. I did the same last year with the 4 when the 5 came out.

I won't be able to do the same next year though, as the 6 sucks for me in the toe box. :(
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also, re: different types of shoes: It sounds like you wear a stability shoe. Unless your arch has completely changed shape, or you've significantly changed your entire lower leg running form, you'll probably still need a stability shoe.

If you run trail, you should get trail shoes in addition to your road shoes. :)
  • WebbyShoo
    Options

As much as I would love to support this specific running store (mother in law worked there part time at one point, they give no commission, no bonus for amount of stuff sold and pay pretty damn close to minimum wage) not to mention they sell 2 year old Asics for the same prices as the new ones coming out. I buy other stuff from them like gels, pants etc, but I won't pay the highway robbery they want for shoes, this store will NOT price match and is the only place that carries specific Mizuno's/Brook's and New Balances I need to try on, otherwise I wouldn't do it, I swear.

Edited to mention, I paid 79.00 online for my newest shoes (they are last years model) and the same running store carried them, but were charging 149.99. (I actually returned a pair I bought from them last month after I found them cheaper online, hadn't worn them yet and told the girl that was the reason and the price I found them at, made no offer to make up the difference). 0.o It's pretty much the only thing I buy online. Plus my local economy is fine. ;) I'm in Alberta, we're in our own bubble and our retailers charge huge mark ups on stuff that is otherwise cheaper in other provinces.
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    Funny thing is, pants are actually decent prices there in comparison to the prices Lululemon charges. Which reminds me, I still need to check out Target for tights for fall.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing the Saucony brand since I started running. I've always worn a heavier model, in the 9-10 oz range. Last summer I wanted to get faster & thought lighter shoes would help, so I switched to the Kinvara's, which a friend of mine loved. I got major shin splints! It sucked so bad. It turns out, I need a bit of cushion. Last season, I bought 3 pairs of Saucony Cohesion TR, to get me through marathon training. I always buy the discounted "last years" model. They did not have any more in my size when I went to buy more this past Feb. So, I've switched to the Excursion TR. I'm happy with them. I bought 3 more for this season. I always start walking in the new, upcoming pair while running in the "broken in" pair. I do not switch back & forth between running shoes. I typically wear them for 3 months & then switch to the pair I've been using on my twice a week walks. I pretty much only buy online since I know my size & I buy in bulk
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I won't be able to do the same next year though, as the 6 sucks for me in the toe box. :(

One of my local running stores has been doing a series of runs on Monday nights with different shoe companies each week. I have tried the Saucony Mirage 3, Brooks Ghost 6, Asics Nimbus 15, Addidas Boost, and ON Running Cloud Racer. None of them blew my socks off but I want to be ready if an update to the Kinvaras doesn't work for me.
  • ZenInTexas
    Options

One of my local running stores has been doing a series of runs on Monday nights with different shoe companies each week. I have tried the Saucony Mirage 3, Brooks Ghost 6, Asics Nimbus 15, Addidas Boost, and ON Running Cloud Racer. None of them blew my socks off but I want to be ready if an update to the Kinvaras doesn't work for me.
    I saw that on your FB Page, was going to ask about it. That is really cool, I'll have to see if the store here does anything like that.