Check-in: Let's Eat Local

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
If you are participating in this week's challenge, please let us know how it's going for you! Maybe you have a picture to share of your local foods?

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Well, I'm not one for photos. I was quite proud of posting even one. Yesterday was a great day for eating my local produce. I had my breakfast quiche for breakfast with my amazing local eggs (I helped keep those chickens local by signing a petition to keep the farm from being rezoned out of existence), flavored with green onions and tomatoes from the vendor who specializes in veggies featured in Asian cooking. On the side I had a peach from heaven - not really, it was from a little town just up the freeway. For lunch I had a Mason Jar Salad with local lettuce, peppers, beets, and more tomatoes. For a snack I had local grapes. Then for dinner stew with carrots, and celery. The chicken, for the salad, and the beef and potatoes for the stew were not local. I guess I need to up my game.

Wow, @77tes. You have certainly embraced this week's challenge!

Local eggs are a particular favorite of mine. So much better than the ones in the grocery store.

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    77tes, you had an awesome day! And I'm guessing you have those quite often. I don't know of many local resources here but maybe I need to check into it a bit. We do get farm fresh eggs almost all the time and I hadn't even thought about that as being local until it was mentioned. I am on the wait list for when my nephew does the honey harvest. Today i will stop by a fruit market where I hope to get CO or MO peaches (that's pretty close, right)? And then will stop at a farmers market on the way to my daughter's house and check it out.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    @nebslp , local honey is so amazing. You are lucky to have a nephew who keeps bees. I think it helps with allergies (inoculating me with the local pollen). The honey guy at my Farmers Market has Wildflower, which he gathers in the hills not at all far from home, as well as Orange, Avocado, Almond, Sage, and a few others I can't remember.

@themedalist , there are 2 problems with the local eggs: 1) they spoil you for ever eating grocery store eggs and 2) they are so fresh, they are difficult to peel if you hard boil them. There's a real problem for you, "Oh no! My eggs are too fresh!"
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @nebslp , local honey is so amazing. You are lucky to have a nephew who keeps bees. I think it helps with allergies (inoculating me with the local pollen). The honey guy at my Farmers Market has Wildflower, which he gathers in the hills not at all far from home, as well as Orange, Avocado, Almond, Sage, and a few others I can't remember.

@themedalist , there are 2 problems with the local eggs: 1) they spoil you for ever eating grocery store eggs and 2) they are so fresh, they are difficult to peel if you hard boil them. There's a real problem for you, "Oh no! My eggs are too fresh!"

I've heard that about local honey too.

I live in a small town in NH. For some reason, my town loves raising chickens and so there are a lot of eggs. And you are right @77tes, they are so fresh they don't peel easily. There's a first world problem for you!

Today is my CSA pick up day. So many items to choose from! Lately I've been indulging in the peaches, but that may have wrapped up. Another favorite is the tomatoes. They grow several heirloom types of tomatoes and they are so succulent and delicious. I decided not to grow tomatoes in my little garden this year because my CSA farm's tomatoes are so much better. There may be corn today too!