Macros while pregnant

Options
Is anyone counting macros during their pregnancy? I am 190lbs at 5'3" and 4 months pregnant. I haven't gained any weight on the scale yet, so I want to gain in a healthy way and curious how everyone else tracks their progress to healthy pregnancy weight gain.

Replies

• yennu03
    yennu03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started doing macros with a low carb percentage but since getting pregnant I been hungry all the time so I'm on a 40% carbs now and feeling so much better, I'm about 10lbs overweight (only 5 weeks pregnant haven't gained lbs yet) so I'm trying to gain no more than 20lbs this pregnancy. After some researching I decided to eat 150 extra calories during second trimester and 300 extra during third trimester. You don't need any extra calories during your first trimester. Good luck.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yup, was before and still am, currently 29 weeks along and still logging every day
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 50% fat, 25% carbs, 25% protein, and I'm eating at maintenance (about 1700 Cals). When I am not pregnant, I tend to eat more protein than that, but I've been having a hard time eating protein lately because of morning sickness.

I was/am at a healthy weight (though 5-10 lbs more than I'd like), and I'm aiming for 5 or less lbs in the first tri (I'm only 10 weeks), 10-15 in the second and 10-15 in the third (24-30 total).

So far I am fluctuating between having gained 2 and 4 lbs depending on the day. So I'm trying to get a bit more physical activity and make sure I'm not eating too much sugar so I don't exceed 5 lbs before I hit the second tri.

This is my second pregnancy, and with my first I gained 70 pounds. I had a lot of problems with Edema and retaining water, so after the baby was born, I lost a lot of the weight really quickly. But I am still trying to do better this time around. Also, I lost all but about 10 pounds from my first pregnancy, so I am starting 10 pounds heavier than I was the first time.
  • jaclynwf007
    jaclynwf007 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 weeks and. Counting macros too. Feel free to addd me :)))
  • AllegraAlyce
    AllegraAlyce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some one please tell me what a "macro" is?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some one please tell me what a "macro" is?

@AllegraAlyce Macro is short for macronutrients: fat, carbs, and protein
  • AllegraAlyce
    AllegraAlyce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh, lol, my first thought had to do with programing... NeWho.

I'm paying attention to the ratios, but not so much the total.
  • archersport
    archersport Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking too and changed my setting to "maintain" weight. The macros give me targets to hit, because I'm under eating.
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was all gung ho about doing macros when I found out I was pregnant, but now, 6 weeks in and my body is like NOPE to most foods and nauseated the other half the time. I am just making sure I'm getting my prenatal vitamins and trying to eat within 300 calories of my maintenance amount. Originally I was thinking "Yeah! I'm going to recompose during first tri!" now I'm thinking, "just eat enough to not get nauseated". So far today I've had oatmeal with almonds, raisins, and butter and then a snack of apples, peanut butter and some european style ham. I figure some days I'll be over and other days I'll be under. Everyone has been telling me that I can get back to eating normal healthy foods after the first trimester and morning sickness are done.
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 weeks and am having some blood sugar issues (not GD, just spikes on occasion, my midwife is having me monitor), so that's actually why I got back on MFP, to measure macros. I'm hoping to find some patterns soon so I can see what my threshold is, but it seems like there is so much to it than just macros.