hiking in maine

Options
Focusedjessy
Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
Any mainers have hiking spots to suggest. I am looking for hikes not far from Standish. I have done Douglas, ossipee, sawyers, peary and Cutler.

Replies

• kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I always liked doing Bradbury Mtn. in Pownal with my parents when we used to go all the time. Dogs are allowed and children under 5 are free. Maine Residents are $3 to get in. They have a bunch of trails and a playground and picnic area...
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mt. Phillip in Belgrade/Rome is a popular hiking spot, and I'm sure there are plenty other places in this area--I just haven't checked them out yet. I've seen Mt. Phillip listed somewhere as an easy 10-minute hike. I didn't find it terribly difficult--as least one or two of the trails are kid-friendly, but it's definitely not 10 minutes. There's a small picnic area at the top, and an absolutely gorgeous view. Hubby & I haven't been for a couple of years, so I think it's time for us to hike it again, especially since it's literally in our back yard.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/

I love this website! It's fairly descriptive and usually includes links to more info when available.

My Mom and Aunt are coming for a visit next weekend and we like to do outdoorsy stuff (but it has to be short/easy as they're elderly) so I found a few local trails we can check out. Thinking Thorncrag and/or the Homestead Trail in the Androscoggin Riverlands Park. We've 4-wheeled in that park before and the old homestead area is really neat - foundations, old tools, etc left behind. We were lucky enough to bump into one of the rangers that work the park and even got a little history!

Hubby went 4 wheeling up Streaked Mtn earlier this week and from the pictures he took it'd be a pretty cool hike. It's rated moderate to advanced though so I'll save that one for another time - maybe if my friends come up for a visit.

Some other Maine hikes/trails that I've enjoyed (off the top of my head):
    Bradbury Mountain
    Moxie Falls
    Elephant Mtn/B52 crash site
    Mount Apatite
    Mackworth Island
    Marginal Way
    Back Cove

I've done a lot of hiking in the White Mountains area of NH as well as Mount Major (a little challenging when I was still obese but worth the effort for the great view!)
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I always forget Moxie Falls--I haven't been there in years. My mom is coming for a month-long visit for the birth of my 2nd grandchild (YAY!!) and she loves it there, so maybe we can sneak away for a day. My oldest granddaughter loves to go for long walks, so I'm thinking a 3-generation hike is in order. :happy:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That would be wonderful Melissa! Not sure which way you'd be going but if you're looking for a place to eat on the way to or from Moxie Falls, I'd highly recommend the Kennbec River Brewery Pub. We had a fantastic after hike meal there! The staff was very friendly and they have these hilarious pictures of the old logging days all over the walls. There's also a resort there with a pool and all that. Anyway, here's a link:

http://www.northernoutdoors.com/site/resort/the-forks-resort-center/kennebec-river-brewery.html
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I went and checked out moxie falls and Huston falls last weekend. Both very beautiful but the hiking is not the kind of workout I am looking for. A little too short bit awesome.