Hypothyroidism - No Periods, After starting treatment - Spawn of Satan

madwells1
madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
I was hoping someone here may have some insight to TOM and Hypothyroidism. Sorry if this is TMI and long, but I am frustrated beyond belief so I am grasping at insight from anywhere!

Backstory: I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 8 months ago. Before this diagnosis, for a year I could barely function physically, and had pretty much stopped having regular TOM cycles. My normal 26 days cycle would be 58-97 days. I attributed it to peri-menopause, and that was about it.

Needless to say, I started treatment for hypo, and it has taken me about 8 months to be in the 'somewhat normal' TSH/other labwork. My last period was about 98 days ago.

Lo and behold, last week I turned into what some would called a stark raving lunatic. I could barely function, I felt like I could eat endlessly and wanted to raid and capture a Lays potato chip truck driver and hold him hostage. Note I hate potato chips so that was very odd.

It was so bad that I didn't go to work for a couple days because I knew I would tell everyone what I would think of them. This was very unlike me, but I attributed it to being stressed and tired as I have been traveling a lot for my job and have been quite busy.

Anyways, long story short. I started my cycle about 4 days ago, and it has been perhaps the worst cycle of my life in terms of pain, etc. I am literally the spawn of Satan. I still want everyone around me to die (not literally--no worries on me going postal), and my body is acting crazy. For example, over the course of 1 week I have gained 10 pounds (note I have NOT taken any potato chip drivers hostage), and I have struggled to out of bed the past few days (no I am not depressed).

Thinking 'working out' would help, my normal 5-6 mile treadmill workouts have turned into nightmare sessions---my body has cramped up in every possible place, and my 15 miles, as of today, are more like 20 minute miles as I told myself to finish the distance regardless of how fast I was going. My body (hands, etc) are also so swollen that it is annoying.

Has anyone gone through anything like this? If so, was it a 'new way of life' after getting treated for hypo or was it just your body adjusting to the medication.

Sorry for such a long post.....