Sept 11 Weekly Challenge: The Happiness Jar

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Greater Happiness
Challenge: The Happiness Jar

Here's an interesting mismatch. According to researchers, the average person has three times as many positive experiences as they do negative experiences throughout the day. But in a carryover from our hunter-gatherer days, our brains tend to overlook these positive events and instead focus and dwell on the negative things that happen to us. To survive in harsh conditions, our ancestors needed to be especially aware of dangers, losses, and conflicts. As a result, our brain evolved with a negativity bias that looks for bad news, reacts intensely to it, and quickly stores the experience in our memory. This negativity bias creates an ongoing vulnerability to stress, anxiety, disappointment, and pain. As psychologist and neuroscientist Rick Hanson observed, "Our brains are like Velcro for negative experiences and Teflon for positive ones".

An excerpt from his book is an excellent backdrop for our challenge this week:

"Your experiences matter. Not just for how they feel in the moment but for the lasting traces they leave in your brain. Your experiences of happiness, worry, love, and anxiety can make real changes in your brain. The brain takes its shape from what the mind rests upon. If you keep resting your mind on self-criticism, worries, grumbling about others, hurts, and stress, then your brain will be shaped into greater reactivity, vulnerability to anxiety and depressed mood, a narrow focus on threats and losses, and inclinations toward anger, sadness, and guilt."

"On the other hand, if you keep resting your mind on good events and conditions (someone was nice to you, there’s a roof over your head), pleasant feelings, the things you do get done, physical pleasures, and your good intentions and qualities, then over time your brain will take a different shape, one with strength and resilience hardwired into it, as well as a realistically optimistic outlook, a positive mood, and a sense of worth."

"In effect, what you pay attention to—what you rest your mind on—is the primary shaper of your brain."

Looking back over the past week or so, where has your mind been resting?

According to Dr. Hanson, the best way to compensate for this negativity bias is to regularly take in, appreciate, and savor the many good things that happen to us throughout the day.

And that's just what we will be doing this week!

This Week's Challenge: Let's be mindful and appreciate the many positive events and experiences that we have throughout the day. Let's take a moment to jot them down on a piece of paper and put them into a Happiness Jar. (A vase or oversized coffee mug works well as a Happiness Jar)

When you have a good experience, recognize it, appreciate it, and stay with it briefly and savor the moment. Let the experience sink in. Then write it down!

No good thought or experience is too small to be noted. They are all important.

Let's try to fill that jar with good things this week. Then, at the end of the week, let's take some time to review these little pieces of paper and the many good events that happened to us this week. It's a great way to recap our week.

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the updates post this Wednesday. Please post any suggestions or questions you may have for our group. And please share your good things!

Special thanks to Marta @prgirl39mfp for suggesting this challenge!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence. By Rick Hanson, PhD
(I referenced this book for its readability, but there are many other books that document the themes and observations made in this book)

Praise Is Fleeting, but Brickbats We Recall
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/your-money/why-people-remember-negative-events-more-than-positive-ones.html

Share Your Good News, and You Will Be Better Off
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/share-your-good-news-and-you-will-be-better-off/

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    If you're wondering, "Can I just record my happy events as a note on my phone?"

Yes, that will work as well. The reason I'm suggesting writing it down is because we tend to remember things better when we write them down. And since one of the goals of this week's challenge is to remember these happy events, there's a lot of merit to writing them down.

On the other hand, making notes on your phone is often easier and more accessible since we have our phones with us. And a permanent electronic record of these happy events has a lot of value too.

As always, whatever works best for you.
  • themedalist
    edited September 2017
    Options
    o9jycej4v7vg.jpg

23bsdzwnc3en.jpg

nxuoh8ryvol8.jpg

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for a brain make-over. Bring it on!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I read the article about sharing good news. I have a small group of special friends who coffee together every Thursday morning. We share what's happening in our lives and have lots of laughs. We go to the house of the friend who has Parkinson's and can no longer go out easily. Last week someone asked about a trip I have coming up. It was so much fun telling of all the great places I will see, but in the middle of the telling, I felt sad and guilty for being so excited because I know she won't be traveling and having new experiences like that anymore. It's hard to know how to find that balance of sharing my excitement with dear friends with the compassion of not sharing something that will make someone else feel sad. It's a lot to ponder on.

It is hard to find that balance, @nebslp. But hopefully, even your friend who has Parkinson's and can no longer travel would be happy and excited for you.

• themedalist
    Options
    Beautiful observations @texasgardnr and @77tes! I love your posts. This is really a mindfulness challenge and since we have a mindful eating challenge next week, we will be getting in some mindful practice!

"Being grateful and noticing the good is so important. I kind of try to make it my mission". I hope you don't mind @77tes, but I'm stealing your personal mission statement and making it my own!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking the same thing as @nebslp ! I could actually hear those sheets flapping in the breeze! Reading these actually took me to a different place as I imagined what I was reading. Thank you everyone for sharing! I write every night in my "5 things I'm grateful for today" journal. I also have a Ball canning jar on our counter that we call our smile jar. I have different colors of sticky notes by it and when something cool happens, we write it on the sticky note with the date and at the end of the year, we go through them and realize how blessed we really are. Being grateful is really important to maintain peace in your soul. I try to focus on it daily. xoxo
  • themedalist
    Options
    I was actually thinking the same thing as @nebslp ! I could actually hear those sheets flapping in the breeze! Reading these actually took me to a different place as I imagined what I was reading. Thank you everyone for sharing! I write every night in my "5 things I'm grateful for today" journal. I also have a Ball canning jar on our counter that we call our smile jar. I have different colors of sticky notes by it and when something cool happens, we write it on the sticky note with the date and at the end of the year, we go through them and realize how blessed we really are. Being grateful is really important to maintain peace in your soul. I try to focus on it daily. xoxo

What a great family tradition. And you're right. Being grateful makes for a peaceful soul.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I read the article about sharing good news. I have a small group of special friends who coffee together every Thursday morning. We share what's happening in our lives and have lots of laughs. We go to the house of the friend who has Parkinson's and can no longer go out easily. Last week someone asked about a trip I have coming up. It was so much fun telling of all the great places I will see, but in the middle of the telling, I felt sad and guilty for being so excited because I know she won't be traveling and having new experiences like that anymore. It's hard to know how to find that balance of sharing my excitement with dear friends with the compassion of not sharing something that will make someone else feel sad. It's a lot to ponder on.

How sad. Glad you are able to still share it with her. Hugs.