Opinions please!

Options
As some of you know I just recently started a new school and all of my students are aged 6-12 years old with no prior experience. Tonight I plan to start teaching their first form (Chon Ji) how long do you think this age group can handle before they shut down? I plan to start with normal warm ups and the work on side kicks for a bit.

I'm thinking that if they are focused 15 minutes tops...Your thoughts?

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    We make our kids in that age range do them hundreds of times. I think the kids handle it better than I do teaching them. Our typical class is roughly 10 minute warm up, 20 minutes kicking, 20 minutes cirriculum (forms usually).

I would imagine that you'll get a feel from the kids if you're able to keep their attention and energy or not. Since it's new to them they might be really attentive.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Oh boy - a bunch of new 6-12 year olds... BTDT! Once I signed up 30 of them in a day for a startup class from scratch.

I suggest no more than 7 minutes/segment to start. 5 min warm up, 5 min stretch, 5 min kicking drills, 7 min forms, 7 min partner drills, 7 min games, 5 min cooldown stretching/matchat, done.

As they advance in rank, the tolerance for longer segments will increase.. but keep the energy up when you start teaching forms, or it invites wandering minds.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have observed children at 2 different schools with very different teaching styles. One class the kids are chattering and laughing and they don't stay focused for very long. The other, the kids are super quiet, not always 100% focused but definitely reeled back in by the teacher. I think it depends on your group of kids and also what you want to get out of them ;)

Curious - how do you normally teach forms, especially to a group of kids vs one on one?

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    At our school we are taught a few things to teach, 1, assertive commands/barking out orders etc. 2, demonstrating each move with them till they get it, and 3, correctively moving their bodies/stances.

We do two weeks of the first half of the form then the full form after. Lots of repetition. Our students are pretty good about paying attention, but they're still kids. The biggest thing is training them to attention. You can almost always reel them in with "CHARYUT. EYES ON WHO?" and they reply with "you sir" while standing at attention. I bet the parents wish they could do that lol
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly we did 5 to 10 mins. if the group got unfocused we played a few mins before continuing so that the kids can get rid of their energy