What are your current goals, what little things are you working on?

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
Even if we all practice different martial arts, we all have goals. Things we are trying to perfect. Bad habits we're trying to break. New moves we're trying to master.

My current self made goal list involves

- Throwing/practicing more roundhouse head kicks. I've been relying on axe kicks but they're too slow.
- Making sure I hit with my heal when doing any sort of thrusting kick. I need to build the muscle memory
- Working on my spin hook kick to get it ready for states this spring

Replies

• Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My boxing so Coach will book a MMA fight sometime after the first of the year. To fight local ammy MMA you really don't need more than blue belt level BJJ and some wrestling on the grappling side. I'm a purple belt and my wrestling is decent enough to get the fight to the ground. I just need to be able to strike enough not to get knocked out and get the fight to the ground.

My particular issue is my counter punching or a takedown shot off a slip. It is subpar and needs work.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm working on getting lower in my stances, higher in butterfly kicks, cleaner basics, better cardio endurance and working towards aerial cartwheels. Also I often feel like I'm tight and constricted (maybe work stress). I'm working on trying to relax and use more momentum rather than muscle through form movements so that I can go faster.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my 6-10 one step sparring. But, my immediate concern will be how to modify my training while my knee heals. No forceful or bag kicks for me :'(
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Goals
    Improved Endurance - especially cardio... Seems like there's never enough.
    Returning to competition - sparring and forms (first one this Saturday!)
    5th dan test (hopefully next summer)

Things I am working on right now:
    Basics
    - Stances - straight lines, depth, and distance consistency
    - Kicks - upper body posture during lateral kicks (Side, Round, hook, etc)
    - Strikes/Blocks - Explosive power from start through to the end
    Forms
    - Flow, timing, intensity, targeting, visualization
    Jumps
    - Plyometrics conditioning for better height on jump kicks
    Sparring
    - Footwork, distance control, hand position, fakes, kick redirection, off-beat rhythms
    Flexibility
    - An ongoing battle.. I want to get my kicks back to at least 170 degrees. Right now I'm settling for about 10" above my head, which is a bit frustrating.

Problem areas that I'm putting extra time into:
    Spin Wheel kick - keeping my leg locked and heel extended
    Jump spin wheel kick - This thing may be the death of me.
    Front, round, hook combination - keeping my upper body posture tight, executing distinct targeting for each kick and working on timing between the three for most effective use in sparring

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Even if we all practice different martial arts, we all have goals. Things we are trying to perfect. Bad habits we're trying to break. New moves we're trying to master.

My current self made goal list involves

- Throwing/practicing more roundhouse head kicks. I've been relying on axe kicks but they're too slow.
    - Making sure I hit with my heal when doing any sort of thrusting kick. I need to build the muscle memory
    - Working on my spin hook kick to get it ready for states this spring

@Geocitiesuser Round kick to the head is one of my staples in sparring. Small tip you might be able to use: when chambering the kick, draw your knee straight up with the heel tucked under, as if you execute a front snap kick. Pivot the foot, turn the hip and execute the kick simultaneously.

This is especially effective for close range lead leg round kicks to the head - done correctly, they are lightening fast and land quite handily.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Thats how i do all my round houses :) chamber, pivot, snap. Starting with the chamber means you can change the type of kick last minute if you need. From chamber i can axe, cut, or roundhouse.

The problem with head kicks is that even if you don't drop your guard, youre still prone to being knocked over by a strong kick (or worse getting kicked in the nuts / leg by a wild kick) so i need to work on timing and start using it as a counter instead of offensive. I want to work on my leg coming up as theirs is coming down. Im a little slower than most.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Aha - I see you are ahead of the game as far as the sparring round kick is concerned. I don't usually see folks doing that until 1st dan.

You are right on the timing of the kick being essential.. and I think that mostly comes from experience.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my spinning hook kick. We just learned it last week and I'm still having a hard time getting all the way around.

I'm also working on making my push-ups deeper, stances lower and kicks higher.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I want to improve my speed, technique and motivation. I think because I am not training properly for the past 2 to 3 years due to the medical treatment I am quiet slacking. Its more that I do not see a point on putting a lot of effort for 2 weeks a little effort in week 3 n no effort in week 4 or some months I can't even go at all. When I then go again its like I need to start off at 0.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what is holding you back from long term training, @bingo_007?
  • bingo_007
    Options
    Its fertility treatment including ivf. So during the cycle you can't do sport not even yoga or Pilates due to risk of ovarian twist. On a normal cycle I take it slow in the second half.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    That sounds very frustrating!
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Strength and endurance that will ultimately help my form...
  • kquiles1
    kquiles1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago, so I haven't been able to go to class. I'm hoping to start again on Friday or Saturday and ease my way back into my schedule plus some extra classes. But before I left, I was working on my flexibility for my kicks. I use to dance so my instinct is to chamber higher than my current flexibility allows especially for roundhouse and hook kicks. As a result my roundhouse kicks aren't consistently as strong as they should be and I'm struggling with proper form on my hook kick. I was also working on solidifying technique on the latest kata I learned.
  • bingo_007
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

It is but my attitude n motivation is pretty much the only'thing I can'control so I should get control over it. Instead of getting depressed about unskilling ;)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    bingo_007 wrote: »
    bwmalone wrote: »

It is but my attitude n motivation is pretty much the only'thing I can'control so I should get control over it. Instead of getting depressed about unskilling ;)

True, and when you can come back full time, you will appreciate it all the more!
  • faerie0506
    faerie0506 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First goal is getting my gimpy knee back to full strength, so I can get back to rolling. It's been frustrating, not being able to train fully. :(
    BJJ, I've been working on being more proactive and trying for submissions, instead of just defending for my life, even if I end up tapping more often. It's hard sometimes when you're the smallest, lightest member of the class, and everyone is roughly at the same level, but I'll just have to get better faster. ;) I have a competition coming up in October, hopefully it won't be as much of a shellshock as the one I did in May.
    Muay Thai, the main thing I need to work on is fluency, and not overthinking everything. Also, my defence is poor during sparring, especially checking low kicks, blocking bodykicks, and using my teeps. I'll have my first Interclub in the next few weeks, I'm really excited about that. :D
    In general, flexibility is something I ALWAYS have to work on.

• Valsgoals
    Options
    @Faerie, what are you doing in your Art while you have your gimpy knee?

I have my own knee issue and found out last night at PT I'll need to skip TKD for the next few weeks because of it. I don't want to completely eliminate everything but can't think of what I can work on while I'm not in class.

You said you can't train fully so I suspect you are doing some training?
  • faerie0506
    faerie0506 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Val,
    do you know what's wrong with your knee? I suspect what you are able to do depends on what the problem is. I go by the theory that if something doesn't hurt, it's ok to do it.
    I dislocated my patella just under 3 weeks ago. I didn't do any training for about 10 days, as I was on holiday anyway, but I actually did a fair bit of walking while I was away, just to stay mobile, and I started doing some physio exercises straight away. I'd say it's 90% back to normal now, and I went back to Muay Thai training last week and nothing we've done in the last few sessions felt uncomfortable, so I've been training as normal there.
    The one thing I can't do yet is kneel on the floor and sit on my heels. This has stopped me from doing the BJJ classes for now, as that's something we do a lot of. I have been doing movement drills at home, again working on the basis of 'if it hurts, don't do it', and plenty of stretching and strength and conditioning exercises to get the muscles, tendons and ligaments around my knee strong and supple again.
    Hopefully I'll be back in class in the next week or two, and back to rolling a couple of weeks after that.
    I am desperate to go back, but because the injury happened when I was rolling, I'm wary of rushing back and it happening again.
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    Yes, I sprained two tendons in my knee: MCL and meniscus. It's already on the mend. As you can imagine, I am more than anxious to get through my PT homework to get the surrounding muscles strengthened. For the past 3 weeks I've been alternating upper body strength and core routines only.

Haha, I at least will be able to take a good kick to the midsection when this is all said and done! (just kidding)