Nine weeks of motivation ... could use a little company

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
Hi from Virginia! I "know" some of you, as I have been (rather inconsistently) part of the group over the past few years.

I have been consistent with my running, just not as disciplined about logging into MFP daily.

Anyway, I am working towards a PR for a half marathon at age 46 and therefore am working on speed over the next nine weeks. Race Day is November 11. If you have similar goals or just are a really great person willing to join forces with me on MFP, I'd love to connect on here. The more the merrier.

Have a great day!
Leigh

-- Faster, Leaner, Lighter, Stronger --
(at least that's what I keep telling myself)

Replies

• shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,102 Member
    Options
    Leigh, I am 57 years old. I am a slow runner, but I run. in late October, 2010, I ran my first half (2:43). I ran this two weeks after my oldest son and his fiance were killed by a drunk driver on 10/10/10. I had trained for months, and decided to go ahead with the run after they were killed. Since then, I've run a little, not run, run a little, etc. I've done a couple of 10Ks, but not a half since 2010. I'm also about 40 pounds overweight. Having said all of that, I started running again about 3 weeks ago, with the idea that the running really helps with depression symptoms, and I want to do another half, and possibly a full some time. I am back up to 2 mile/day runs - 3 days soon to be 4 days a week. My long day (Sat) will gradually climb back up to where it was. I plan on just adding miles and strength through the end of the year. Then, in Januaryish, I plan to do a 16 week plan to run a half again in May, 2018. My goal is 2:30. I prefer to train myself using a heart rate based training program. By this, I run within a range of heart rate, and when the HR gets too high, I slow down and/or walk a little, then run again. This method works very well for me. I have also used a run/walk method like run 4 minutes/walk 1 minute. That works for me too, but not as well as HR training. Before I really stopped running, I could run 8 miles without walking, while keeping my HR in desired zone. I'm in Kansas City.

Maybe too much information, but I'm looking for running buddies too!

I would be happy to be an online running/training buddy. Best wishes to you in your training!

Steve
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss - running is therapeutic in so many ways. I agree. Please connect with me on MFP when you have time and we can encourage each other!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half on October 22nd. It will be my 4th HM. I don't race very often -just one marathon and one HM each year, with an occasional 10k or 5k. I'd really like a PR. My last two HMs were not good. The first I ended up with a bathroom stop that took way too long, then I tried to make up time and ran too fast, so crashed and burned at the end. I came in 3rd in my AG, which was good, but the last few miles were a struggle. Last year I had a horrible time with my training. Couldn't figure out why I had no energy and no speed. Turned out I was anemic. I went into the race with the intention of just finishing and not worrying about pace at all. That worked, but I hated having to walk the hills. I just didn't have the energy. This year I'm feeling good. My training has been a bit erratic, but my average for the year so far is 38 mpw, so I should have decent endurance. I'm just not sure I have the stamina to maintain a faster pace.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Anemia is a common issue for me as well. I actually crashed and burned in life generally but also while training for a full marathon about two years ago and I was (finally!) diagnosed with B12 deficiency. So, now - much stronger with more energy - and I did run a marathon. Miserable experience, lol, but I did it!! :) I'm sticking with HMs moving forward, I think ...

Glad to hear you're feeling good and strong - you will have a great race in October!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I do speed work every Wednesday and I just PR'd my HM this past Sunday (at age 48). Since I only started getting serious about racing a few years ago, I believe I can PR every year for at least the next 3-4. Prior to this I only did 5k's and took several years off.

Earlier this year I trained for a mile race for the first time ever. That consisted of some serious speed work twice a week. It was the kind of running where you swear your lungs are going to explode from your chest. I'm convinced it not only helped me run the mile but it is helping my distance races as well. I will be doing it again next year (no matter how much I complain about it :D ).

Good luck with the training and the race. Us kids still have something left in the tank.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    anyone can add me, 46, on every day. burn over 1000 calories a day.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, too. I started running in the Spring of 2016, and have slowly worked my way up from there. I mainly have done 10 and 5ks, but also completed one marathon and one half marathon (a distance that I've found to be a great balance of being challenging but not leaving me too beat up). I've got a season of more 10 and 5ks coming up in my city, so working on speed right now, but also trying to maintain the HM fitness by keeping some of my long runs a bit longer than typical 10k training :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Hi from Virginia! I "know" some of you, as I have been (rather inconsistently) part of the group over the past few years.

I have been consistent with my running, just not as disciplined about logging into MFP daily.

Anyway, I am working towards a PR for a half marathon at age 46 and therefore am working on speed over the next nine weeks. Race Day is November 11. If you have similar goals or just are a really great person willing to join forces with me on MFP, I'd love to connect on here. The more the merrier.

Have a great day!
    Leigh

-- Faster, Leaner, Lighter, Stronger --
    (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

Hi Leigh!

I lived in Virginia a long time ago (Arlington) and my dad and brother still live there (Arlington and Centreville, respectively).

My next race is the day after yours (11/12/17) in NC at the Inaugural RDC Marathon. I'm 64 and ran my first marathon at age 60. A few of us had an ad hoc first-timers marathon group going on MFP back in 2013 when a bunch of newbies decided to take on the marathon challenge. I'm on the speed interval portion of my training plan, too. 800 m intervals last week. None this week because there is a 20-miler on deck for this weekend.

Anyway, feel free to add me.