Class and Practice Check-in 9/14/2017

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every day, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- It doesn't matter how hard you worked yesterday... what matters is what you do today.

Replies

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Cardio rest day, 5 very slow miles to recuperate from heavy bag last night.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Strength and conditioning today. Then boxing class. And then some mitt work. Coach help tightened up some of my technique which is always a good thing. All in all a good day training I think
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai class tonight. (Actually a mixed Muay Thai / Karate class to get us karate folks some different exposure.)
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I love Jiu Jitsu!! Awesome triangle from back technique and my bestie wasn't there so I can try it on her next week, assuming I can get to her back (She is blue to my white as well as bigger and stronger)
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I went to wushu and once again it was an hour and 15 minutes of private lesson and 5 minutes of painful abs after class that the coach insists on. I didn't practice beforehand but l actually slept well the night before for the first time in a week and I didn't do that bad! He told me I should compete in the next competition, but I'm not sure about it. I'm very old for being a beginner and I never considered that as an option. I guess it's something to mull over, but in the meantime getting encouragement from a pretty uncomplimentary coach overall made me feel like I'm making progress.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »
    I went to wushu and once again it was an hour and 15 minutes of private lesson and 5 minutes of painful abs after class that the coach insists on. I didn't practice beforehand but l actually slept well the night before for the first time in a week and I didn't do that bad! He told me I should compete in the next competition, but I'm not sure about it. I'm very old for being a beginner and I never considered that as an option. I guess it's something to mull over, but in the meantime getting encouragement from a pretty uncomplimentary coach overall made me feel like I'm making progress.

I'm returning to competition at 45... so I feel your pain there, but one thing it has done for me is to put some real performance pressure on my training, which I think is a very good thing. I've made more progress in the last few months than I have in a very long time.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Practice last night:
    Worked on basics, first slow, then fast. Low, then high. Working on height, range, and power.
    Lots of stretching - been working my muscles in some new ways, and getting some great results, but youch have they been complaining about it lately! So... gave them some time to fully relax into stretches and got deeper into stretching than I have in a long time.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »

Do it! I will be 43 in a few months and I enjoy competing. I started BJJ three months shy of my 38th birthday and competed in the white belt divisions within my first 4 months - didn't do so well but it was a great experience. I try to compete st least 4 times a year. I find it is a great way to put what you know to the test, as well as better learn what you need to work on.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    but first competition ever at beginner level at 44 years old ?! i'm close to being embarrassed but i also danced in my first hiphop show at age 40 lol. maybe the older i get the more shameless i'm getting... :D
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Absolutely! I bet you will kick butt. 44 is the perfect age to do it!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Yeah, competitions are a great way to push your training to a different level. Maybe look for a local competition or one with a masters division where the pressure isn't as high.