How do you prevent yourself feeling like you got hit by a truck in the morning?

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
I've asked this question a million times, on a million forums.

Basically, nothing makes my body feel quite as sore and beat up as TKD. Particularly after a night of sparring, but even in general TKD tends to be very high energy, high impact, full body training that leaves me saying "ugh" in the morning. It's not like weight lifting where you just sort of adapt over time. The DOMS from TKD, at least for me, seems to be never ending. Most mornings I spend 20 minutes laying awake convincing myself to push through the tightness and soreness.

I shy away from things aspirin/etc but once in a blue moon if I'm particularly feeling roughed up I'll pop half a dose before bed. I always try to stay hydrated, and try to make sure I have enough salt in my diet to replace what I sweat out.

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for cool down after class?
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can so relate to this. Definitely having enough water helps. Coconut water is also really great for minerals and hydration.Foods that contain anti-inflammatories may also help (pineapple/bromeliad, ginger, tumeric, etc) Also epsom salt baths, foam rolling, and using lacrosse ball before bed. I use this stuff Nan Yueng Relieve Pain Cream (you can probably google it and buy it online) that my acupuncturist gave me to use for soreness. You have to really rub it in. He uses a metal thing that looks like a spatula and scrapes it in until the skin is red. It's pretty similar to Graston technique where they're trying to break up crunchy stuff in your fascia. You might try BCAA before/after workouts but I found that I don't notice a difference with it (couldn't hurt though?) My chiropractor gave me this rock tape to try during workouts, but it seems to help a little but still sore always.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

Chit chat on the way out haha. Rarely we end with stretching
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I second the epsom salt baths and stretching post-training.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

Chit chat on the way out haha. Rarely we end with stretching

And there is most likely the heart of your problem... I suggest a starting with a 15 minute cooldown and stretch before trying epsom salts and foam rolling, which can undoubtedly help, but in my experience, a good stretch and cooldown usually does takes the worst of it away.

Then also there is Tiger balm when the DOMS gets serious..... stinky but works wonders. Take a hot shower to open the skin, rub it in, then soak in a hot bath.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to look into stretching n your nutrition I don't think you should feel this way on a regular basis.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I only really suffer if I have been out of training for a while or I push my workout harder than normal. Of course that isn't counting the times when I spend too much time trying to escape a a submission and tap late, but that is a different kind of sore.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    We also don't do end of class stretching very often, we chit chat. I stretch a little on my own when I get home and I'll do my foam roller. If my feet (arches) are especially hurting I'll roll those out with my wooden roller. And of course water.