Officially a Stronglifter!

Options
PitBullMom_Liz
PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
I started tonight! Did workout A, and actually attempted it at the weights recommended. And not only attempted, but DID it! I squatted 45, benched 45 and rowed 65. The squats were ugly and I'll stay at 45 a bit longer. The bench was perfect - my arms were getting wobbly on the last couple reps of my very last set. The row was hard, but solid. So I think I'll bump up my bench and rows.

I have to say, right now I'm feeling pretty damned badass. There isn't a doubt in my mind that tomorrow I'll be feeling pretty damned crippled! LOL But wow, I'm so proud of myself for starting, and for starting at the recommended weights instead of doubting myself!

Replies

• sampson2010
    sampson2010 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Liz!

You know what the best part is? Today was probably the hardest day you'll have in the weight room. Yeah, when you get up to squatting 160 or benching 120 (or whatever numbers seem unimaginable for you right now), those will be hard days -- you'll be pushing yourself harder than you ever thought you could. But in my experience, nothing is as hard as the first day -- you're not just pushing yourself physically, but there's also often a lot of fear, doubt, and uncertainly to overcome. And you did it! The first day is behind you -- now, you get stronger everyday.

And if you're sore tomorrow, enjoy it! You earned it.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I wasn't sore at all when I woke up - tired muscles, but not sore. But now that I've been up a couple hours I feel myself stiffening up rapidly, LOL. Must keep moving today!

I'm pretty sore in between my shoulder blades. Is that where I should be feeling the barbell rows or did I do them incorrectly? And then my quads are feeling the squats more than anything, so I know I didn't go deep enough. I feel the squats a bit in my butt (woot!) and a bit in my groin area, so I did work other muscles, but mostly quads. My arms aren't sore yet, just tired, from the bench presses.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Hurahhhhh - high five!

I was in agony after I started - it will ease off and just think - every time from now on you'll be achieving more than you ever have before (this is a HUGE motivator for me) xx
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Great first day!

About soreness--squats are a full body exercise, so lots of muscles get worked. Not all of them will be sore, though. Soreness is not an indicator of progress, and you will not feel it every time (or you might feel it a lot, it doesn't matter).

Another thing to keep in mind is that learning new motor skills is something that happens between sessions as much as during the exercise itself. Ever play music? Do you remember how a piece you practiced for an hour was really hard one day, and the next day it just fell into place, even though all you did was sleep on it? This is sort of similar. I think it's more the case with dynamic lifts like the power clean, but you might notice the squats making more sense the next time you try them. You will certainly get noticeably stronger with every session.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thanks Daisy and Bumble!

Bumble that does make sense about learning new motor skills happening between sessions as well.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for you! Me next me next! heehee... You're inspiring me... Congrats on the 1st day being in the books!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    One of my coworkers is saying that because I'm not sore (tired, but not crippled) that I didn't push myself hard enough last night. I truly feel like I did. I hate that mindset of "unless it hurts you didn't do it hard enough." And quite frankly, even if I didn't push myself hard enough (which again, I think I did), I'd say that's more important than pushing too hard and getting injured.

Anyway, just a minor rant. :-)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers is saying that because I'm not sore (tired, but not crippled) that I didn't push myself hard enough last night. I truly feel like I did. I hate that mindset of "unless it hurts you didn't do it hard enough." And quite frankly, even if I didn't push myself hard enough (which again, I think I did), I'd say that's more important than pushing too hard and getting injured.

Anyway, just a minor rant. :-)

Tell your co-worker to have fun with DOMS, while you put more weight on the bar and get stronger.