October 31 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• trixsey1
    trixsey1 Posts: 236 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @RangerRickL - The pictures taken are from Bolsover Castle, Derbyshire and the other from Newstead Abbey in Ravenshead.

Newstead Abbey is lovely, beautiful gardens which I will visit again in the summer when all the flowers are in full bloom. I didn't get the opportunity to go inside the abbey either, so my next visit there I will explore the inside too.

The tomb of Boatswain was sad. Boatswain was Lord Byron's beloved dog who died of rabies in 1808.
    Lord Byron requested to be buried with him in his Will, but it was denied by the Deans of the abbey and he was buried in the family vault instead.

In Lord Byron's time it was custom to give a lock of hair to the person you loved and it is said that he gave locks of hair to his mistresses which are believed to be locks of fur from Boatswain.

wzaa8cowrwap.jpg

His epitaph reads:-

Near this Spot
    are deposited the Remains of one
    who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
    Strength without Insolence,
    Courage without Ferocity,
    and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
    if inscribed over human Ashes,
    is but a just tribute to the Memory of
    Boatswain, a Dog
    who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
    and died at Newstead Nov. 18th, 1808

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
    Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
    The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
    And storied urns record who rests below.
    When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
    Not what he was, but what he should have been.
    But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
    The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
    Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
    Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
    Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
    Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
    While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
    And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
    Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
    Who knows thee well, must quit thee with disgust,
    Degraded mass of animated dust!
    Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
    Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
    By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
    Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
    Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
    Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
    To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
    I never knew but one -- and here he lies.

I was crying after I read it, especially those last two lines, lol.

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    It's freezing here hard to get moving when it's cold. The dog wants to go out . :# Happy Halloween everyone!!!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    October 31
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 4 Km in 32 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

The 4km walk again. Felt slightly easier today than yesterday.

Had a lunch meeting to go to. Met many that had not seen me in over a year. A number of complimentary comments on how much weight I had lost.

Catered with sandwiches and various treats on offer. Was able to eat as normally as everyone else. 6 ham, cheese and tomato sandwich quarters was enough (note: some protein with carbohydrate :) ) and a couple small pieces of cake. Nice, but not very filling. I chose the water over soda.

Nice to get back to full strength training. Will take a week or so to feel back to full strength.

Happy Halloween to all my northern hemisphere counterparts.

Congratulations to all that made it to the end of the month and still posting (whether Winners Circle or not).

@trixsey1. Wonderful photos. UK has some great places to visit.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    @trixsey1 Thank you for your wonderful post. One should cry for poor lonely Lord Byron. Anyone who would write the last two lines of Boatswain's epitaph was a person who felt loved by no one and betrayed by everyone.
    That has not been my life experience and I hope that no one who reads my words today feels that way about themselves.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    The UAC is here to encourage you to develop habits that will maintain good health. The habits of tracking your intake of food and calorie-rich beverages; consuming no more calories per day than your chosen limit; and intentionally exercising your body for at least 20 minutes. There are 3 Pass Days allowed each month.
    We encourage you to sign in every day or at least every 3 days. But, if you report to us that you met the above goals...you are in the Winner's Circle.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    Please send me a private message at @RangerRickL if you have not yet reported to me that you are in the Winner's Circle.
    One important addition is @windowqueen2003
    Tomorrow, when we open the November UAC, all of the Winners will be featured in a congratulatory and encouraging post.
    I really enjoy working with every one of you!
    Rick
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    @pribud I'm so glad that you are back! You are an abundant encouraging person. I don't know where you have been, but I hope you have been blessed and enriched by your experiences.
  • LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    @trixsey1 love your post today and always enjoy your photos. Your walks/runs are in amazing settings.

I live in the desert so I enjoy seeing lush, green scenery. Also, I miss England so your pictures make me feel happy.
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,276 Member
    Options
    October 27
    Exercised?: Yes. 10.8K hike...cold one!!

October 28 and 29
    Pass 5&6 :(

October 30
    Exercised?: Yes. Spin class

October 31
    Checking in early...thinking it will be a pass day. Just no time to workout today. Although my work is quite a workout right now...lol

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!! See you in November...lol...or tomorrow which ever comes first..*wink, giggle*
  • trixsey1
    trixsey1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, glad you enjoy the photos. There is some beautiful scenery to be found just around my area of the UK, but I live in a small town outside Nottingham and surrounded by countryside - some too far to get too by bike, but there's more than enough to be found within a 80 mile radius of my town.

I've drawn an 80 mile radius on a map and finding all the places within that radius that I can get to by bike - now we have national cycle routes here it makes some of the places more accessible too, so plenty of exploring left to do!

I want to ride the Archaeological Way, it's one long trail starting from Pleasley (where I ride every other evening to feed the swans and ducks), all the way up to Creswell Crags.

11 miles of it has been resurfaced from the disused railway lines, Shirebrook up to Creswell, the rest is yet to be done, but the raw terrain is accessible from Pleasley end, until you reach the new road surface up in Shirebrook - which is around 10 miles from me.

Over 20 miles of trail, but I have to reach the trail first, so it'll be a good 50 mile round trip.

Not sure I'll get there until next Spring now though, but by then I'll be (hopefully) riding my new bike, lol.

Soooo - today, 31st Oct

Exercised?: Yes

Had my run this morning on the treadmill (7kph, 3% incline)
    Walked into town and back then a walk with the woofies (10 miles of walking). A bike ride planned for later this evening to my usual spot (8 miles).

Have a great evening everyone. If your out celebrating Halloween, enjoy and be safe.....xx
  • oykucan
    oykucan Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Exercised: Yes. (1h walking and 40 min swimming)
    Calories: Yes.
    Tracked: Yes.

Thank you for your support throughout October and Happy Halloween to all who celebrates. See you all at November UAC!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Yes x3 it snowed today :/ time to pull out a warmer coat.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thought that was a white flag at first Rick! I surrender to the UAC. Well done to you all. I'll try harder next month.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Goals for October:
    1. Be in winners circle (track everything, keep under budget, 20+ mins exercise per day, no more than 3 pass days)
    2. Stay between 65kg and 75kg (full maintenance maintenance trying not to go too low but allow it to bounce up a bit too. Feeling fine under 70kg, but not sure if it is healthy sustainable. Trying to keep 75kg as my upper limit but still just in normal BMI range for me.)
    3. Stay honest (even if it puts me out of the circle for the month) and continue past failings (forgive mistakes and keep moving forward)
    4. Encourage others where possible

Forgot to do a review of my months goals in my daily post.
    1. Be in winners circle (track everything, keep under budget, 20+ mins exercise per day, no more than 3 pass days) (Success)
    2. Stay between 65kg and 75kg (full maintenance maintenance trying not to go too low but allow it to bounce up a bit too. Feeling fine under 70kg, but not sure if it is healthy sustainable. Trying to keep 75kg as my upper limit but still just in normal BMI range for me.)
      (Success - Dropped as low as 65.1, but was 66.3 as of this morning.)
    3. Stay honest (even if it puts me out of the circle for the month) and continue past failings (forgive mistakes and keep moving forward) (Success - Couple of rough patches this month, but pulled through with UAC to help - Sometimes want to "colour" the truth, but in the end it does no one any favours.)
    4. Encourage others where possible (For others to decide - I cannot think of when I have failed this, but ultimately it's an external assessment, not a self assessment.)
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? y
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? y
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? y

Not in the winners circle, but finishing strong and looking forward to next month!
  • pribud
    pribud Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be in the Winners Circle for November. I CAN DO THIS! So far today has been a GREAT day :) Happy Halloween everyone! It is a great night for trick or treating here, Bud & I actually had an early supper on the deck B)B) I'll be back with my positive results later tonight.
    @RangerRick thanks for the PM and the kind words on here. I am glad to be back.
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Another airport day. I did walk when I was waiting and managed to get over 6 k steps, so I would say yes.

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Not really, haven't eaten any candy today which is pretty amazing, but didn't have as sensible a dinner as I had wanted. Always hard when I am not at home. Tomorrow is a new day and a new month.

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yep.

• 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone.
    @trixsey1 sounds like you have some awesome places to cycle! I'm envious.
    @cardio_enthusiast you are more dedicated to your bike than I am. 5 c is a bit too chilly for me. I have no excuse either. I own all warm clothes for skiing.

We saw our first snow of the season today. Just flurries. Our trick and treaters didn't seem to mind.
    Three yesses for today. Over the weekend I made something new -- batch of butternut squash soup. I want to add some variety . Sometimes I get in a rut with the same old foods.