Sept 18 Weekly Challenge: Mindful Eating

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Eating
Challenge: Mindful Eating

Our challenge this week is to practice mindful eating at least one meal a day. Since mindful eating is a term that has gained popularity recently but can have lots of different connotations, let's start with a definition:

"Mindful eating involves paying full attention to the experience of eating and drinking, both inside and outside the body. We pay attention to the colors, smells, textures, flavors, temperatures, and even the sounds (crunch!) of our food. We pay attention to the experience of the body. Where in the body do we feel hunger? Where do we feel satisfaction? What does half-full feel like, or three quarters full?

We also pay attention to the mind. While avoiding judgement or criticism, we watch when the mind gets distracted, pulling away from full attention to what we are eating or drinking. We watch the impulses that arise after we've taken a few sips or bites: to grab a book, to turn on the TV, to call someone on our cell phone, or to do web search on some interesting subject. We notice the impulse and return to just eating.

We notice how eating affects our mood and how our emotions like anxiety influence our eating. Gradually we regain the sense of ease and freedom with eating that we had in childhood. It is our natural birthright.

The old habits of eating and not paying attention are not easy to change. Don't try to make drastic changes. Lasting change takes time, and is built on many small changes. We start simply."

--Jan Chozen Bays, MD, author of Mindful Eating

This week, let's focus on really paying attention when we eat. Let's notice why, when, and how we eat. Let's be fully present during mealtimes and let's get more enjoyment from our food!

Mindful eating can be one of the keys to losing weight or maintaining a weight-loss and it's also a useful technique in recovering from many eating disorders. Mindful eating is a flexible and adaptable practice. There is no right way or wrong way to eat mindfully. It's up to you. Experiment this week and see what works best for you.

This Week's Challenge: Using the guidelines in the resources below, choose at least one meal a day to focus on mindful eating. Take your time eating and enjoy the experience!

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the updates post this Wednesday. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

9 Simple Tricks to Eat More Mindfully — Starting Now
http://dailyburn.com/life/health/mindful-eating-tips-weight-loss/

Mindful Eating: 5 Easy Tips to Get Started
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/12/mindful-eating-tips_n_3941528.html

6 Ways to Practice Mindful Eating
https://www.mindful.org/6-ways-practice-mindful-eating/

Free Mindful Eating Resources:
https://megrette.com/free-appetizers/

Megrette Fletcher is a Registered Dietician and diabetes educator and the cofounder of The Center for Mindful Eating. She is also the author of several books on Mindful Eating. You can get 3 free e-books on Mindful Eating as well as access to the Center's free weekly e-newsletter, Food for Thought, from the link above.

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited September 2017
    Options
    1yhgj2sn6lon.jpg

w1wgxjflv553.jpg

arnfy5fjzzbz.jpg
  • themedalist
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp, @HGSmith0920, and @sandra8841, I'm happy to hear that you're excited about this challenge...so am I! As I read up on the topic, I realized that mindful eating can be as simple or as intricate as someone wants. Simply eating more slowly and tasting and enjoying meals is eating mindfully. And that's where I'm going to start!
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did not manage to stay consistent with this and do it once a day so it is definitely something I plan to continue trying to add to my day. It has been a great challenge and surprisingly much harder for me than logging food.
  • themedalist
    Options
    sandra8841 wrote: »
    I did not manage to stay consistent with this and do it once a day so it is definitely something I plan to continue trying to add to my day. It has been a great challenge and surprisingly much harder for me than logging food.

@sandra8841, mindful eating is challenging. There is so much that goes through our heads that it's hard to push back and just focus entirely on eating. Like you, I'm going to continue to work at this. I know I'll get better at it and it will become more habitual the more I practice.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

I also have to continue trying to be mindful one meal a day. I failed miserably at this. I tend to eat breakfast and lunch at my desk at work and it's never quiet or uninterrupted. So I thought I would start with supper. The problem I run into is that (1) my husband cannot eat a meal or be in a room without a television on. I just want it to be quiet because I'm trying to de-stress, but he insists on having it on all the time. (2) I seem to either be so hungry by the time I get home that I can't shovel it in fast enough, or I can't wait to get up from the table and go into another room where it is quiet (maybe combo of both?).

So, I'm trying again tonight at dinner. Not sure how I will handle it yet, but I am going to keep trying.
  • themedalist
    Options

I also have to continue trying to be mindful one meal a day. I failed miserably at this. I tend to eat breakfast and lunch at my desk at work and it's never quiet or uninterrupted. So I thought I would start with supper. The problem I run into is that (1) my husband cannot eat a meal or be in a room without a television on. I just want it to be quiet because I'm trying to de-stress, but he insists on having it on all the time. (2) I seem to either be so hungry by the time I get home that I can't shovel it in fast enough, or I can't wait to get up from the table and go into another room where it is quiet (maybe combo of both?).

So, I'm trying again tonight at dinner. Not sure how I will handle it yet, but I am going to keep trying.

It sounds like for most of us, mindful eating is going to be a work in progress. It's also possible that mindful eating is just one of those things that doesn't work given our schedule or routine. I think it's good to try and see if it's workable or not.