20k a day burn 3.5 k cals?

Options
andyluvv
andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
Hey there

Just wondering as I have mfp to light sedentary and to eat 2400 cals a day. Fitbit always tells me I need another thousand calories? Is that not normal? Anyone else with a burn that crazy?

I don't seem to be losing weight and I'm sure I'm not eating that much (at least not everyday)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends on your stats. I'm female, 5'5", 39, 140 lbs, and I burn 2400 if I walk 20k steps. For a taller, heavier, younger man, that's not necessarily that high.

You could not be losing weight because you're underestimating your food too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Have you confirmed your distance when walking the average pace of that 20K steps?

Your stride length should not be set too fast exercise pace, nor grocery store shuffle, but average of whatever your pace is for majority of daily steps.

Might also see if it slips into HR-based calorie burn during daily activity that really shouldn't be using it - in which case it would be inflated.
    Now - if 15 min a day - big whoop with all those steps.
    If 4 hrs a day - not so good.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Have you confirmed your distance when walking the average pace of that 20K steps?

Your stride length should not be set too fast exercise pace, nor grocery store shuffle, but average of whatever your pace is for majority of daily steps.

Might also see if it slips into HR-based calorie burn during daily activity that really shouldn't be using it - in which case it would be inflated.
    Now - if 15 min a day - big whoop with all those steps.
    If 4 hrs a day - not so good.

I seem to walk around 3 hours a day. I've checked my steps and pace seems fine. It's the blaze so there's the he too but shouldn't that be more accurate? I also take loads of stairs (try to avoid the lifts and walking underground).

Bear in mind, I said it says I burn 3.5k but I didn't say I eat that much. I'm 171.96 pounds (78 kg) and 5'10" (1.79cm). I have a more muscular build but not too much.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    HR-based calorie burn calculations are ONLY valid for aerobic exercise zone steady-state same HR for 2-4 min level cardio.

The edges of that zone (approaching 90 and below daily activity, or anaerobic wherever it is for you) also lose accuracy fast compared to straight line for a block in the middle.

So if lots of stairs and it slips into HR-based often - that's inaccurate.

Was your average daily pace walked on a known distance track or such, and math for steps and distance was done to get best stride length?
    It can be hard to walk what feels slow daily pace on a track, but it really can help in case your body or walking stride is not totally average (and few are) for the default Fitbit settings.