Sept 25 Weekly Challenge: Balancing Act

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
Theme: Exercise and Movement
Challenge: Balancing Act

This week, let's focus on improving our balance. Better balance improves coordination, joint stability, agility, reaction time, and prevents falls and fractures. Balance is a core asset to our health and fitness and one that is frequently overlooked. As one balance proponent observed, "What is strength or endurance worth without the balance and stability to use them in the real world?"

Until a few years ago I never really thought about the importance of doing balance exercises. And then one evening, out walking in my backyard, I tripped over a tree stump and fell. In that 30 second fall, I permanently damaged my right hip and lost the ability to walk easily and without pain. I was lucky enough to get a new artificial hip a few months later, but the experience changed my perceptions about balance, coordination, and accident avoidance. I never would have believed that I could do so much damage from such a simple fall, but millions of people are similarly injured (some fatally) from slips and falls in their homes and outdoors.

We CAN improve our balance and coordination. Let's set aside a few minutes each day this week to do some balance exercises. You never know when, in just the right moment, it will pay off for you in a very big way.

This Week's Challenge: Choose from among the resources below the beginner, advanced, or yoga-based balance exercises that are best for you. Although no special equipment is required to do balance exercises, I'm putting in a plug for the wobble board, which I've used quite a lot. (I am slightly obsessed with my wobble board).

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the updates post this Wednesday. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Beginner exercises for balance:
https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/beginner-exercises-for-balance-15-minute-beginner-balance-workout

Advanced balance exercises:
https://www.verywell.com/advanced-balance-exercises-2696235

Yoga poses for better balance:
https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/fall-yoga-15-poses-proven-build-better-balance

Yoga for balance and brain benefits:
http://annwestyoga.com/yoga-for-balance-brain-benefits/

Finding the right balance:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/opinion/sunday/finding-the-right-balance.html

..................................................................................................

Replies

• chrysanthss
    chrysanthss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting those articles, they're very interesting. Even though I'm younger, I actually have worried about my balance because I realize mine isn't so great. In my closet is a wobble board that's been collecting dust; I'll bring it out and try some balance exercises this week.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Thank you for posting those articles, they're very interesting. Even though I'm younger, I actually have worried about my balance because I realize mine isn't so great. In my closet is a wobble board that's been collecting dust; I'll bring it out and try some balance exercises this week.

I'm glad you'll be dusting off your wobble board this week. I think the wobble board is a lot of fun!
  • jcraft8
    jcraft8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just did the fitness blender one for beginners think if I need to move up I could.. nope I think I am BELOW beginners. now at least I will see progress.
  • themedalist
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jcraft8 wrote: »
    I just did the fitness blender one for beginners think if I need to move up I could.. nope I think I am BELOW beginners. now at least I will see progress.

You will definitely see progress @jcraft8 and you may even see progress this week. The hardest part is just getting started. Good for you for taking that step. Let us know how the week goes for you and if you feel it's getting easier towards the end of the week (I'm hoping that will be the case).

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Getting fit has helped my balance. However, I still have a long way to go. Balance is the most challenging part of Yoga for me. I would love to play with a wobble board.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm way behind times as I've been traveling and haven't had easy access to wifi including two previous nights in one of our hotels. So tonight I was finally able to download "Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence" by Rick Hanson, PhD that was on hold from my online library. It is one of the recommended books from several weeks ago. I will be riding at least 5 hours tomorrow and probably at least 8 on Thursday so will have plenty of time to read it. Riding will do nothing for my balance but I will play catch-up on the past few weeks when I get home. I always wanted to get a wii balance board. I'll have to look into that. This trip has inspired me to stop being so complacent with my health. I've seen first-hand that age is just a number. We get old when we stop moving and taking care of ourselves. I'll share some of that another time.