Class and Practice Check in - Week of 9/25/2017

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every day, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- It doesn't matter how hard you worked yesterday... what matters is what you do today.

Replies

• Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Boxing class today and then a litttle lifting. Worked hard, but no earth shattering breakthroughs on problem areas.
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Jiu jitsu this afternoon and judo this evening--I'm just destroyed. Neither dojo is air conditioned, for one, and it was 90+ degrees out today. We did tons of guard-passing drills for the whole hour of jiu jitsu, and I rolled with an opponent a LOT bigger than me and was basically her ragdoll. It was pretty frustrating, especially since she wasn't using technique at all, just literally tossing me around. Why study jiu jitsu if you're just going to grab someone and slam them on the ground?

And judo was killer. I got to play uke for a blue belt who just got back from several weeks of competition and training and was eager to practice her new skills. After an hour and a half of taking hard falls, I was so ready to go home, peel off my disgusting sweat-soaked gi, and ice my poor ankle. But I scored a yuko in randori and managed an escape that made the whole class applaud, so there's that!

364 days out of the year, martial arts are the greatest thing I can think of. I look forward to every class. I get excited about new techniques. The bruises and sore muscles are a point of pride, and I can't wait to get out there and earn some more. But today is that one day where everything hurts in a not-good way and I'm tired and I'm too hot and I don't know why I do this to myself.
  • shadowbaby4
    Options
    Also, I overheard a parent refusing to let her 12-year-old have a Gatorade because she has to make weight. Does that seem right to you?
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Its not uncommon for kids to be under pressure for the weight its similar to other sports as well think about dancing, gymnastics etc but obviously depends on the nature of the competition just a friendly match or qualifier for nationals but trying to make it to a certain weight class is not uncommon for higher competition levels.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Dragged my butt in tonight. TKD saves me from myself once again. Without my TKD fam I don't know what I'd do.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    My schedule last night got all kinds of jacked up.. didn't get in any practice, and today I'm itching for it!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Kata night at Karate. I took Soy_K's advise last week and wrote down as much of the new kata as the kids and I could remember. I reviewed it before class and practiced in my office at lunchtime with the door closed and I didn't lose any of the new stuff as I had in the past week. Yes! We even got tips on our belts for our kata progress tonight. (And I've already added the new moves we learned tonight to my google doc.)

4vgtfp21qiun.jpg
    This is me and my boys a few weeks ago at belt graduation.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Looking good, Bianca! Good work on the Kara, and congrats on the belt tips!!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    35 Minutes Forms practice tonight... Tried out the most likely form order that will be required during my next belt test.... I have a lot of work ahead of me.
  • shadowbaby4
    Options
    I'm missing BJJ for a doctor's appointment this afternoon, but hoping for a good workout in judo tonight!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Basics, all colored belt forms and 1 steps, negative pull ups and plyometric squats for conditioning. Practice clothes are soaked.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    Basics, all colored belt forms and 1 steps, negative pull ups and plyometric squats for conditioning. Practice clothes are soaked.

I'd love to find a way not to soak my clothes every training session. Weapons night is ok but the 3 nights per week we do karate I can ring my gi out at the end. Most people at my club claim to wash their gi's once per week or less if they can get away with rinsing, mine needs a full wash after every session!

Sword and sai kata last night - I love my sai sooo much! I've worked hard on conditioning this week too, today will by my first day in over a week of not doing some form of weight training. I even ventured into the huge free weights room at the gym, and wasn't intimidated by the big grunty men
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    People in my gym are ostracized if they fail to wash their Gi after every session. I think it is different in BJJ because you are having close contact with someone every session which increases potential for staph, ringworm, etc. Kata heavy arts you are not goons transmit stuff to others as much - though you may smell a little ripe. lol
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    I haven't checked in the last two days. Tuesday I did triathlon training - 20k on the bike at a much brisker pace than normal. I then ran 5k after and was able to keep my normal pace, but I to use a bit more willpower than normal.

Yesterday I went a little overboard. I had the morning off, so I sparred with one of our Muay Thai guys at a moderate pace for 3 hours. Did our noon kickboxing class with 30 minutes of lifting after. I then came back and did 6pm kickboxing class and did another hour of sparring after.

Haven't been this sore waking up this morning in a long time and one of my training partners wants to bike 30 - 35 k at lunch. God help me.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    I haven't checked in the last two days. Tuesday I did triathlon training - 20k on the bike at a much brisker pace than normal. I then ran 5k after and was able to keep my normal pace, but I to use a bit more willpower than normal.

Yesterday I went a little overboard. I had the morning off, so I sparred with one of our Muay Thai guys at a moderate pace for 3 hours. Did our noon kickboxing class with 30 minutes of lifting after. I then came back and did 6pm kickboxing class and did another hour of sparring after.

Haven't been this sore waking up this morning in a long time and one of my training partners wants to bike 30 - 35 k at lunch. God help me.

Sounds like a fun day! But ouch - pay the price the next day!

The worst was a black belt camp I attended ... 4 days, 8 hours of classes per day - outdoors, sleeping in tents on the ground, and 2 midnight "surprise" classes. By the time I left, everything hurt. It hurt to move. It hurt not to move. I swear I could feel each individual muscle fibre. It took a week to recover.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    LuizH wrote: »
    bwmalone wrote: »

I'd love to find a way not to soak my clothes every training session. Weapons night is ok but the 3 nights per week we do karate I can ring my gi out at the end. Most people at my club claim to wash their gi's once per week or less if they can get away with rinsing, mine needs a full wash after every session!

Sword and sai kata last night - I love my sai sooo much! I've worked hard on conditioning this week too, today will by my first day in over a week of not doing some form of weight training. I even ventured into the huge free weights room at the gym, and wasn't intimidated by the big grunty men

I've toyed with the idea of wearing rash guards to wick away the moisture.. but being that it would essentially be an undergarment, I worry that it would just saturate as it wouldn't be breathing enough, and potentially leading to overheating as well.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot, mostly in my face. It's a good ole' family trait. When I first started TKD I wiped my face with my sleeves. My sleeves were soaked by the end of class. Now I bring a small face towel with me and tuck it under my belt in back. My instructor jokes I look like a football player. Every chance I get I wipe my face and put it back. I not only don't want to be smelly but I also don't want to accidentally wipe my sweat on my classmates when we are doing interactive things. I also wear the thinnest camis under my Gi to keep me as cool as possible. It doesn't really work, by the end of class the towel and my Gi collar are still soaked.

And worse yet; I wash mine and my daughter's Gi after every other class. Oops!! :o
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Good sweat stories, I'm glad it's not just me, although I am sure I produce more than is normal, I generally leave classes looking like I have just showered in my clothes. Tonight was no exception, 30 minutes sparring, 30 minutes one-step and then 30 minutes pad work and kata to finish, I was dripping after the warm up!!!! But if you aren't going to put in the effort you might as well not turn up at all.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i most often feel like the drenched sweaty (and old and out of breath) person in my classes. cheers to all you sweaty b*(*()E*#