when you are nursing an injury...

Options
Soy_K
Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
I tore my calf muscle in acrobatics class this week and I need to keep off of it for at least a week or two. Nothing major, just annoying to have to wait. However, I don't want to just do nothing for 2 weeks. I can't run around much (or walk very well) but I'm trying to work on strengthening core and right side while I can't run or jump on my left.

How do you deal with the downtime of injuries? Do you just take the time to rest? Walk through forms so you don't forget? Eat less? Drink more? hehe

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I think the #1 thing for me is to still show up for class - even if I can't participate directly, I can watch and learn vicariously, which gives a completely different perspective than being on the mat performing... or if there are things I can still do safely in class, I will restrict myself to those things only (after communicating my situation to the instructors)

As far as physical activity, I never want to be completely at rest as far as my training goes, so I look for alternative things I can work on if possible... as example 2 years ago I had a severely sprained ankle (amazing just how bad a sprain can get!) - I spent the next 2 weeks working on upper body conditioning while it healed enough to start practicing again.

And drinking more is always an option - but only with the injury raised... you know - to follow the protocol. ;)
  • Soy_K
    edited September 2017
    Options
    i'm finding that i can still work on handstands and just doing basics (like sword and staff drilling warmup exercises) where i can stand in one place. but i don't think i can do much cardio or weight bearing stuff (unless on one leg lol) maybe in two weeks i'll have one skinny leg and one strong leg lol

it's a good idea to try to make it to class anyways. maybe i'll try that. thank you for the idea
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I also go to class and watch if I'm nursing an injury. (My son had mono over Christmas and he had to be out of gym and anything super-physical for a month. Our doctor's son also trained at the same karate school, so he suggested him going to classes to watch and participate in stretching.)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    You could master pistol squats on one leg. :smiley:
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go to class to at least watch. My PT sessions are at the same time as TKD class. :(

Like BW, I've been focusing on upper body strength routines. I've also been doing core routines and lots of stretching. I keep checking every few days to see if I can do form at home. Last time I tried (a few days ago) I was still feeling a bit of a twinge and kneecap movement when shifting from one position to another.

By the way, some of that stretching I've been doing is a couple moves I got from that TKDanimals link posted in this group. Thanks for those!
  • Soy_K
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

sadly i can do pistol squats pretty well on on my right leg and only 1 on my left leg (which is the injured one!)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »
    bwmalone wrote: »

sadly i can do pistol squats pretty well on on my right leg and only 1 on my left leg (which is the injured one!)

Now if only your body had the foresight to injure your weaker side.... (which.. not incidentally, one sided strength often contributes to muscle injuries)
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    I have to laugh how many times I have to Google some of the stuff you guys talk about. I had no idea what a pistol squat was. HOLY COW! And you guys can do those? SMH, another thing to add to things I can strive toward. :)
  • Soy_K
    Options
    Valsgoals wrote: »
    I have to laugh how many times I have to Google some of the stuff you guys talk about. I had no idea what a pistol squat was. HOLY COW! And you guys can do those? SMH, another thing to add to things I can strive toward. :)

ive been feeling pretty good about my lower body strength, but ask me to do pushups or try a pullup and i'll be tiptoeing out thanks hehehe
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I can kinda pull off pistol squats (still cheating for balance).. on my right side. Not sure if my left will ever get there, as that knee has had a very hard life. It's a work in progress.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Its kind of a different approach but in Pilates you pretty much try and keep your body'in a balance to avoid one side getting too strong. So I would recommend upper body arms and maybe flexibility training as much as your injury permits. While I was recovering from my broken arm the trainer let me do the broken side first n the other one later with the same resistance on the spring etc.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I found it mostly depends on the severity of the injury. Most of the time I could favor the injury site and keep training. Once I had a compound fracture of the big toe (11 stitches). Stubbed the toe really bad into the matt landing a spinning kick during sparring practice about a week before testing for my first black belt. Was able to continue practicing and tested wearing a matt shoe on that foot with permission from so to forgo self-defense grappling.

On the other hand, when I tore my ACL as a red belt I had to avoid the school all together while waiting for surgery (3 months) as I just could not stay off the matt. After surgery PT took all my spare time for 6 months. But as soon as I got the all clear from the doc, I was back at it. (Took another 4 months to knock the rust off all my forms.)
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I add whatever I can do including workouts I would normally do but would help with my training - for example extra ab work. Strengthening the core is always helpful though it doesn't necessarily translate to improved technique.
    My slow healing rib has me branching into other workouts including this weird triathlon goal that has recently materialized...
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    My PT has me working on strengthening my quads, hams, and glutes to help my knee along. Leg presses, bridges, and knee pull-ins are part of the therapy. After looking up those pistol squats and seeing "how to build up to a pistol squat" I saw someone doing a modified version using TRX straps. That gave me an idea. I used to regularly do a complete TRX routine which included single leg squats, bridges, and hamstring pull-ins. I'm going to be tackling that today at my lunch workout. Thank goodness I've been working on my upper body strength! I know I'll have to rely on my upper body more than I used to.
  • Soy_K
    Options
    Valsgoals wrote: »
    My PT has me working on strengthening my quads, hams, and glutes to help my knee along. Leg presses, bridges, and knee pull-ins are part of the therapy. After looking up those pistol squats and seeing "how to build up to a pistol squat" I saw someone doing a modified version using TRX straps. That gave me an idea. I used to regularly do a complete TRX routine which included single leg squats, bridges, and hamstring pull-ins. I'm going to be tackling that today at my lunch workout. Thank goodness I've been working on my upper body strength! I know I'll have to rely on my upper body more than I used to.

what I did to work up to pistol squats were 2 things. One was where your weight bearing leg is doing the same thing as pistol squat but the 2nd leg isn't out - it's just bent so you are touching your knee to the ground instead of having it extended in front of you. then working up to just going down with the leg extended, taking a breather and pushing back up or using a wall to help balance.

The last 3 days I've been trying upper body and core - it makes me realize how weak my arms are !
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    I get it completely! I've only been babying my legs for a short while and seem to have lost a lot of strength in them already. To know I'll have to rely on my upper body to complete squats to rebuild muscle and avoid re-injury is a bit frustrating. I'll try both with the leg extended and not extended. Today will be my first go at it for this specific purpose.

I am fairly strong in my upper body but struggle doing tricep push-ups and know I can't pull my body weight up to do chin ups. I'm also strong in my upper core and obliques but my lower core is weak. How does that happen? LOL Eh, I'm working on them. They won't be weak much longer! Just like your arms.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    One thing I always push when I am teaching - train the weak thing (left vs right.. arms vs legs..) first - regardless of what exercise you are doing. Most people have the habit when practicing to train the strong side first.... and as you get tired, it becomes harder to keep best form in any given exercise, so it is better to train the side that needs the most work first.

So - as your injury permits, exercise it first while you are fresh to make the most of the training, and to reduce the risk of re-injury.
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    Great advice BW, I have been. But mostly because I like to get the harder stuff out of the way. When I get to my stronger side things seem easier, making me think "there, that wasn't so bad". Mind games I do to myself.