Pregnancy and Weight Gain

katelynmartin351
katelynmartin351 Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
Hello all,
I am 25 weeks pregnant and trying to maintain a healthy diet. My doctor recently told me that I have been gaining too much weight in between visits and to cut out the pop/sugars. More specifically, I gained 8lbs in a month, which is a huge pregnancy no-no. While I am not trying to diet, I am trying to monitor my eating. So far, my biggest problem is ALWAYS going over the suggested daily sugar servings. I didn't realize how much sugar even juice and apples had in them! So for discussion, I am just curious if anyone has any advice on good sugars and bad sugars. Is there even such a thing as good sugars and bad sugars, and does the body process them the same? For example, a red apple vs. a candy bar. Also, does anyone have any suggestions/alternatives to stop the sugar/sweet cravings- keep in mind I am pregnant and just WANT it. While I can control my eating and maintaining a proper balance of calories, carbs, sodium fairly easy, the sugar is really effecting my diet. Again, I am not trying to lose weight, just eat healthier for a safer delivery and healthy baby. I started out at 155 (pre-pregnancy) and now weigh 174, and I have three months left. I can not continue on the 8lbs/month route. I am feeling very insecure and upset with myself for gaining so much non-baby related weight. In the month that I gained 8lbs, I ate/drank whatever I wanted. I never felt like I was over eating, but I was drinking a ton of soda. I work an 8-5 job, and would fight the pregnancy fatigue with a pop or sugar. Now I am having a problem cold-turkey cutting it out. Does/has anyone else feel/felt this way? I want to feel pretty and proud of my pregnancy, not the complete opposite of shame and body-hating. Again, I am not talking about my baby bump or baby weight, but the other food related weight. My husband is 100% supporting my new eating habits, but he is not making me feel better about myself or the fact that I let myself gain so much weight in one month. He is also being quite body/weight shaming, for the sake of my and our baby's health. I need help, advice, empathy.

Replies

• missjuliadale
    missjuliadale Posts: 4 Member
    Oh no the Soda! Soda is the worst. So I find that I am super thirsty, and soda tastes really really good. But you got to run from it. Cravings are a pain, the Uterus wizard wants what it wants you know.
    Yes complex carbohydrates are different than simple carbohydrates, sugars in fruit take longer to digest and sat you longer, they also come with all the lovely vitamins and fiber. Make an effort to drink as much water as you can. It will help with cravings, with bloating and it's good for the baby.
    cutting soda cold turkey in the middle of a pregnancy. I Salute you. You can do it though.
    Your Husband is being a turd. Try to explain to him that if people could hate themselves thin we would all be beautiful, anorexic, and dead. If he wants to help he needs to help you Love yourself thin. Find ways to make it easy or even pleasant to abstain from sugars, not hate yourself out of eating them.