I pick mine up today!!

Options
AshEvelynn
AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
Oh I am so glad I found this group (thanks dkilbert!) because I have already found so many great ideas to try! I'm not going to lie...I'm a little scared of this thing safety wise (this is one manual I WILL read lol) and potential wise. I have a stove top pressure cooker and saw my husband use it once years ago and the steam/pressure thing always worried me but I'm ready to tackle that fear because the rewards will be soooooo worth it. Plus I'm the type of person to use heavy precaution and safety until I am confident that I don't need to clear the kitchen of people and valuables before I use it.

I still can't figure out what to cook first and seeing all these amazing recipes doesn't make that decision any easier! I don't want it to be too complicated because I want to see success but I want to do more than hard boil eggs. I'm going to keep looking until I find a nice balance. Wish me luck! Today/tonight I prep for this bad boy and tomorrow we cook! Eeeek, so excited!

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am excited for you! Don't be scared just be safe and follow the directions. You will jump the first time you manually release the pressure. I use the handle of a wooden spoon or tongs to flip the valve from sealing to venting that way I am not touching it. But now I am brave enough to use my hands on occasion. Some people will say put a towel over the steam, DON"T you never know where it will go if you cover it. I suggest watching a video or two showing what happens, then do the water test first. It will take some of the fear out of it. Then pick a tough cut of meat so you can see just how fast it tenderizes meat. I did Beef Tips with Mushrooms first. Ribs would be another good one. Good luck! Come back and let us know how it goes.
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    Oh I love the thought of starting off with the handle of something - good idea! I appreciate the heads up, I have not watched any videos yet but that was on my list for today. What is the water test? Why should I do it and how?
  • dklibert
    Options
    The manual will explain how to do the water test. It is basically cooking a cup of water to make sure the pot comes to pressure, then when it beeps you release the pressure. It is a way for you to go through the process with out food and it tests the pot to make sure it is working properly.
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks!
  • dklibert
    Options
    22221650_1817510368560368_4095120049442077098_n.png?oh=3f84e9e52d0f54d8c83c7d8c2a5a4497&oe=5A7BC24B
  • dklibert
    Options
    That pic was just posted to Pressure Luck's Facebook page. Jeffery is SO entertaining!
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    @dklibert - omg that pic is hilarious...and probably so true for anyone!

@crazyravr - you have got me hooked on the meal prep containers I see you flaunting in that other thread with all your amazing meal prep boxes. And yes I am going to try the eggs in the microwave in the large diameter mug, they look amazing (30 sec at a time!). And yes I am in love with your plating...I literally can not see enough pictures. Well done!

• AshEvelynn
    Options
    pww7tpueuat4.jpeg
  • dklibert
    Options
    Looks like y'all are great friends already. Cute selfie!
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    Ok so I made mac and cheese last night for my daughter as my husband and I already had dinner plans. I think the exact point it derailed was when I put in three different kinds of cheese...and WAY more than 2 cups apparently. It was was like liquid cheese with a few noodles lol.

But otherwise? The process was awesome and very easy. On the new one, you don't have to touch the steam nozzle at all. The release button is independent of where the steam comes out which is a great safety check so I was super comfortable to use my hand, no long spoon necessary here!

Tonight is the big night...the true test.
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    AshEvelynn wrote: »
    pww7tpueuat4.jpeg

Ohhhhhhh now you got me wanting the new version as well lol :) me jelous :(

Yes it is very sleek and sexy. I love the new design with the knob...its very easy to use. Not that buttons are not, but it makes it quick to go through all the options you are given and I am really looking forward to trying the Ultra setting when I figure out how to do it. You should get it ;)
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I made yogurt last night! All I can say is wow!

The new model is worth the awe of me not screwing that up alone! I put it next to a regular yogurt to show how much I made with 1/2 gallon. Sad thing is, I don't eat that much yogurt!!!

conz6xnpencn.jpg
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    So the big test failed miserably. Attempted beef and broccoli and the beef part was fine...it started going downhill because we had different ideas on how to cook the broccoli (in the pot under my experimental watchful eye or on the stove) and it just ended up in a disagreement and not eating it at all (my stubbornness is sometimes an issue when I cook lol). Needless to say, I did it in the pot when my husband was working on the renos and sure enough, he was right and it was not a good decision to go rouge just yet (don't tell him I said that). By the way, 4 minutes is WAY TOO LONG to steam broccoli in this case. I know I just went for it, didn't read anything about how long and I was delivered exactly what I deserved. It was a puree by the time I stirred it into the beef mixture. Oh well...lesson learned and I moved on.

Last night I did beef short ribs and oh my goodness - lovely. I could hardly get them out of the pot with a bone in them at all. Third time is the charm! Not sure where to go from here but wherever it is, my instant pot will be with me lol.

BBQ jerk chicken tonight with sweet potato and carrots. Yum!
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    Easy to make but in the end, to me at least, so not worth the time nor the effort. You dont save much at all, dollar wise, plus you have to put in work.[/quote]

I was debating this in the future but I think you are right. I may give it a shot for novelty sake but I think I will reach the same conclusion.

• AshEvelynn
    Options
    lol come on!

@crazyravr - see above. Apparently I don't know how to quote
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    lol come on!

@crazyravr - see above. Apparently I don't know how to quote

Or edit lol :)

We can't all be perfect :wink:
  • dklibert
    Options
    So the big test failed miserably. Attempted beef and broccoli and the beef part was fine...it started going downhill because we had different ideas on how to cook the broccoli (in the pot under my experimental watchful eye or on the stove) and it just ended up in a disagreement and not eating it at all (my stubbornness is sometimes an issue when I cook lol). Needless to say, I did it in the pot when my husband was working on the renos and sure enough, he was right and it was not a good decision to go rouge just yet (don't tell him I said that). By the way, 4 minutes is WAY TOO LONG to steam broccoli in this case. I know I just went for it, didn't read anything about how long and I was delivered exactly what I deserved. It was a puree by the time I stirred it into the beef mixture. Oh well...lesson learned and I moved on.

Last night I did beef short ribs and oh my goodness - lovely. I could hardly get them out of the pot with a bone in them at all. Third time is the charm! Not sure where to go from here but wherever it is, my instant pot will be with me lol.

BBQ jerk chicken tonight with sweet potato and carrots. Yum!

I hear the veggie disasters all the time. Someone said the secret with beef and broccoli is to cook the beef to desired doneness then add the broccoli and stir let rest covered no heat or warm so it is tender crisp. Some people do 0 minutes for broccoli or use steam function with vent open. There is definitely a learning curve with this thing I am still learning.
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    @dklibert - I will have to try that for sure!